Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

Presenting the line-up for EVO 2013 - SSBMelee Wins 8th game spot

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#101  Edited By FLStyle

I'm not sure if the other games are going to catch up with Melee now, 13 days left!

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Camoufrage

@FLStyle: No way unless some miracle occurs. How did Melee get that much money anyway?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By FLStyle

@Camoufrage: No idea, it just happened overnight, I don't know if it's a surge of donations of just one person donating 10K, it's pretty crazy though.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Camoufrage

@FLStyle: I guess some Smash Bros. fans are really hardcore about their game being at EVO... that's disappointing. I was just talking with a friend of mine how much Skullgirls at EVO would help the game.

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By inknail

@Camoufrage said:

@FLStyle: No way unless some miracle occurs. How did Melee get that much money anyway?

@inknail said:

Melee hasn't seen a lot donated towards it recently, but scuttlebutt has it that the SSBM fans are organizing a really big push for tomorrow, some kind of community-wide drive with added publicity to generate at least $1000 (probably more by the end).

Turns out that donation drive combined a lot more than I had anticipated. It started with a fundraiser kicked off from a podcast as well as the most excited of the community. Not sure about much of the details, but supposedly the idea was to triple their donation pool thus far and ended up far exceeding their goal. People in the Melee community have also been spreading the word as far as possible via networking and word of mouth recently, which certainly hasn't hurt. The Skullgirls community is becoming more outgoing about the donation race as well, though perhaps on a bit of a smaller scale than Melee. In 13 days I think a lot could still happen, but it'd be difficult to out compete the fundraiser. Skullgirls is still climbing at a pretty good clip. MLP donations have stemmed off a bit since the rule change.

@Camoufrage said:

@FLStyle: I guess some Smash Bros. fans are really hardcore about their game being at EVO... that's disappointing. I was just talking with a friend of mine how much Skullgirls at EVO would help the game.

I won't be too upset if Melee makes it to the main stage, but I think I'd still prefer it if Skullgirls made it there. I imagine Skullgirls will run a side tournament if they don't make it into the 8th slot, but it'd be good if the game had a bigger appearance to expand interest. I have the 360 version, which has had very few players recently what with being behind on the update and whatnot. Hopefully the patch and PC version might get finished before EVO as well, to help bring new and old players to the game.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Phished0ne

My predictions for both SCR and EVO finals in Marvel:

No Caption Provided
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By StaticFalconar

@Phished0ne said:

My predictions for both SCR and EVO finals in Marvel:

No Caption Provided

Prediction, everybody will be gearing up with specific counter teams against that (more at evo than at scr), So if Chris G takes it, it won't be with the morrigan team.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Phished0ne

@StaticFalconar: I dont know, the east has been grinding out against chris for so long. It seems like everyone has been having trouble coming up with counters to morrigan. Best bet is still taking out doom, but chris covers his assists so well. Strider does decent, Strange does decent, but i dont know that there is any real hard counter to sister sister.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By FLStyle
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By GaspoweR

@FLStyle said:

Check out http://www.twitch.tv/team/scr2013 for the first Road to EVO event, SoCal Regionals, happening all this weekend.

Woah they started streaming now??? Dammit, I'm still at work. ALSO I SHOULDN'T BE TYPING RIGHT NOW BUT FUCK IT I'M CLOCKING OUT IN A BIT ANYWAY.

Last I checked Skullgirls is also right behind Melee I believe. Also is it kinda weird that the guys dominating Marvel consistently (like top 3) are generally considered as "heels" (to borrow wrestling terms)? I'm talking about ChrisG and FChamp btw.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By FLStyle

@GaspoweR said:

@FLStyle said:

Check out http://www.twitch.tv/team/scr2013 for the first Road to EVO event, SoCal Regionals, happening all this weekend.

Woah they started streaming now??? Dammit, I'm still at work. ALSO I SHOULDN'T BE TYPING RIGHT NOW BUT FUCK IT I'M CLOCKING OUT IN A BIT ANYWAY.

Last I checked Skullgirls is also right behind Melee I believe. Also is it kinda weird that the guys dominating Marvel consistently (like top 3) are generally considered as "heels" (to borrow wrestling terms)? I'm talking about ChrisG and FChamp btw.

Reminds me of the CEO Yipes Goldberg entrance, legendary.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Phished0ne

Characters are great for the scene, gives everyone more to get behind. I loved the interview between Neo and Clock, like a classic wrestling promo. The Heel pops off at the Face, and the face just smiles and says "get in the ring". Same thing with the interview between FGTV and WNF, Champ starts poppin off and OnlineTony says "it was tuesday". SO GODLIKE.

I shared these in the kappa reddit and figured i would share them here.

First off, Floe giving us a classic floeface during the massacre of Latif by Infiltration. Followed up by Marn stating(in an interview with caster Megumixbear) that he doesn't play fighting games anymore, but still comes to events because he loves the FGC. Which inspired this from me. He epitomizes why characters are important for the future of the scene. Normally i hate that kind of meme-spam but sometimes all you can do is make an image macro.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By FLStyle

SCR is providing many a laugh on Day 1.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Petiew

Just watching some of the archive, kind of a big oversight from Capcom to not include any of the DLC characters in the sfxt 2013 exhibition. Gootecks' face when they had to flip back to commentaey was the greatest thing I've ever seen though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By GaspoweR

@FLStyle said:

@GaspoweR said:

@FLStyle said:

Reminds me of the CEO Yipes Goldberg entrance, legendary.

Yipes will always be the FGC Goldberg in all our hearts.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Phished0ne

@GaspoweR: my joke is always that Brokentier is the NWO of the FGC. Fuck Jebailey and his CEO shit. hahah

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By FLStyle

Day 3 is under way! Some dudes playing Nariko and Kratos beat some other dudes playing Nariko and Sackboy in PSAllStars.

Next up is Tekken Ball Wii U Top 4...? Why not! FilthieRich and Markman are doing commentary.

All your favourites will be on later.

http://www.twitch.tv/team/scr2013

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Phished0ne

@FLStyle: Also, for people interested , the top 32s are all on stream 2.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#120  Edited By StarvingGamer

Oh boy, I guess it's that time of year when I start caring about fighting games again.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By StaticFalconar

@Phished0ne said:

@FLStyle: Also, for people interested , the top 32s are all on stream 2.

Damn, I had waited on playstation all stars to end for something that was on another stream.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Phished0ne

@StaticFalconar: i didnt find out personally untill like the last 3 matches, at least i got to see Knives blow up Noel Brown(again!) hahaha

also on a side note: I GOT MAD HYPE FOR MY MORRIGAN SIGN BEING HELD UP ON STREAM DURING ONE OF CHRISG's MATCHES. I knew making that for the stream monsters facebook would be worth my time.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By FLStyle

The first of the four Road to EVO events, SoCal Regionals 2013 has come to an end, awesome matches and great job by Level|Up Series.

With just over a week remaining, the top 3 for the 8th place EVO donations are:

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee ($14,253.95)
    2. Skullgirls ($6,645.90)
    3. My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic ($5,235.85)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#124  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Skullgirls has taken the lead thanks to their stream with the voice actors.

1. Skullgirls ($16,669)
    2. Super Smash Bros. Melee ($14,621)
    3. My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic ($5,246)

Not cool, man. Stream was insane, though, so I guess they earned it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By FLStyle

@FluxWaveZ: Just been watching the first hour of the archive, looks like a good time was had. If Skullgirls ends up winning on the back of that then fair play to them.

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By inknail

I watched the stream on and off last night, the VAs and development team always seem to bring a lot of fun and excitement to livestream events. I wouldn't be surprised if the SSBM community organizes another big push for the last few days though.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By thegoldencat7
    No Caption Provided

...Holy sheet.

Didn't donate before now because I didn't care about Skullgirls or Melee, but had to pitch in after seeing this crazy eleventh hour push for ST. This is just the best thing ever.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I wanted Melee to win this. Kinda crazy to see Street Fighter II might run away with first place after this snipe now, but at least Skullgirls won't take it.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By churrific

I love that there was an ebay-like snipe. Fighting gamers man...competition even in charity donations. Lol I respect that.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By JJOR64

If ST does win this, wonder if they will do Classic Mode in HDR or use actual cabinets.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By FLStyle

I was just saying last night how some fool donated $10K even though it would never catch up to Melee and Skullgirls, well don't I feel stupid.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Carryboy

Those old men ST players got 20 years of savings for this.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Petiew
    @FluxWaveZ said:

but at least Skullgirls won't take it.

I don't really have a preference for which game gets in, but I'm curious as to why you're opposed to Skullgirls winning. Those guys worked hard on the game, it would have been nice for them to get the recognition they deserved for it. I don't think sales were that good so this could have brought more people into the game.
    I mean everyone is obviously rooting for one game over the other, but it seems like you were actively opposed to Skullgirls taking it. How come?
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

That's ridiculous. I wanted MBAAC to win, but I knew Melty getting in a second time would require a miracle (especially with such a poverty-ass poverty game.)

Glad ST won, at least. That game I at least enjoy.

@Petiew said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I don't really have a preference for which game gets in, but I'm curious as to why you're opposed to Skullgirls winning. Those guys worked hard on the game, it would have been nice for them to get the recognition they deserved for it. I don't think sales were that good so this could have brought more people into the game. I mean everyone is obviously rooting for one game over the other, but it seems like you were actively opposed to Skullgirls taking it. How come?

I think it's because it's a bad game and the community is pretty bad, or at least was dying way back a few months after its release. I haven't paid much attention to the FGC lately, but Skullgirls was a swing and a miss when it was all 2v2 with the same assist or 3v3 with the same two assists. I'm sure the guys who put out SF:EX worked hard, but that doesn't stop the game from being bad. EVO shouldn't be about "recognition," but about games the community wants to play.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Petiew said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I don't really have a preference for which game gets in, but I'm curious as to why you're opposed to Skullgirls winning. Those guys worked hard on the game, it would have been nice for them to get the recognition they deserved for it. I don't think sales were that good so this could have brought more people into the game. I mean everyone is obviously rooting for one game over the other, but it seems like you were actively opposed to Skullgirls taking it. How come?

Because I don't like it and I don't want to see it as a main game instead of something I'd be interested in. I'm also sour for having wasted money on that game only to very much dislike it.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Petiew
    @SirOptimusPrime: To be honest I didn't follow it after the first couple of weeks either. People seemed really into it at the time though, I assumed it was kind of dead but was still regarded as a good solid game. That isn't the case then?

@FluxWaveZ: Well, fair enough!
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By thegoldencat7

Current Standings-

37237 ssbm

35575 st

29770 sg

This is going to get pretty damn crazy by the time the day is through. Well, craz-ier anyway. There's already over $110,000 donated. Far beyond anyone's expectations. Really hoping ST can take it, but whatever happens, the FGC has really come through on this one.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By VicRattlehead

lets go ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banking on arturo dropping some serious esports money in so ST takes it in the last second...

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By thegoldencat7

The speed runners Srkfunkdoc and Withhelde have an ST donation drive running now. Currently running Catlevania. Link.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#140  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I really hope ST does not win. We already have Street Fighter 4 and enough Capcom games in the lineup. I'm hoping for Melee.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#141  Edited By Sooty

Glad ST won, can't wait for SFIV, UMvC3 and a smidgen of Tag 2.

I'll make food when MK / Injustice comes on stream. Kappa?

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Petiew said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I think it's because it's a bad game and the community is pretty bad, or at least was dying way back a few months after its release. I haven't paid much attention to the FGC lately, but Skullgirls was a swing and a miss when it was all 2v2 with the same assist or 3v3 with the same two assists. I'm sure the guys who put out SF:EX worked hard, but that doesn't stop the game from being bad. EVO shouldn't be about "recognition," but about games the community wants to play.

I think the problem with Skullgirls is it only had 8 characters and when your game is a 3v3 tag game (the most common selection) that gets really boring really fast.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By FLStyle

@Sooty said:

Jumping the gun there aren't you? Melee still leads by $1,400.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By thegoldencat7

No one has won yet, the deadline is 11.59 tonight.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Sooty said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Petiew said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

I think the problem with Skullgirls is it only had 8 characters and when your game is a 3v3 tag game (the most common selection) that gets really boring really fast.

I agree with this. The game design is sold and the animation incredible. It just got old for me fast. I'd rather just play Marvel/

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Petiew: I came back in and caught a tournament only a few weeks ago (maybe a month or two, I dunno to be honest) and it was pretty bad. Literally two assists were used by the entirety of top 32 and the point character was one of two characters. Add in that it was essentially a high-low game into TOD, and I don't really care about the game at all. Like a really dumb version of GG, minus every single mind game and trap game in it.

Sucks, because I wanted a good 3v3 game since I never really jived with MvC3 at all. None of the characters felt right.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Petiew: I came back in and caught a tournament only a few weeks ago (maybe a month or two, I dunno to be honest) and it was pretty bad. Literally two assists were used by the entirety of top 32 and the point character was one of two characters. Add in that it was essentially a high-low game into TOD, and I don't really care about the game at all. Like a really dumb version of GG, minus every single mind game and trap game in it.

Sucks, because I wanted a good 3v3 game since I never really jived MvC3 at all. None of the characters felt right.

I have not been keeping up with Skullgirls at all. That sounds boring to watch.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#147  Edited By Rayeth

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Dat ST snipe. I would love to see Super Turbo getting in there. Not a huge fan of SSBM, but I guess their community wants it so, w/e. Race is pretty tight, <2k separating them easily within range for big last minute snipes.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Carryboy

@Sooty: But what about SFXT 2013 surely your hype for that aswe... ahh who am I kidding.

Reddy1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Reddy1124

I can't wait for SFxT Ver. 2013. Shit's gonna be hype as he-ResidentSleeper.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'd rather watch SFxT. Ver. 2013 over MK. That is my least hyped game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.