Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

"Clippy" textures on PC?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

I've been finally able to tweak the game as much as possible. I'm running it on Ultra, everything maxed, constant 60FPS on a 9800GT@700/1750/1000MHz, C2D E7400@3.2GHz, 4GB Kingston RAM@800MHz and Win7 Home Premium x64. That's all fine and dandy.

The thing is, I'm getting this horrible, aweful clipping problem with textures, or geometry, I don't know which one. They "blink" or "flash", especially when they are part of a more complex structure. For example, when a rock touches the side of a hill, the part of the rock that should be covered by the terrain pops in and out, especially when I'm seeing it from a considerable distance. But still, this happens even from close range. If I use a scope or binoculars from the entrance of the NCR Mojave Outpost main building and aim to the "unification monument", I can how many "patches" of armor in the NCR soldier and the ranger blinking and flashing. 

Is anyone experiencing something like this? I've tried setting everything to default, but I still get that annoying clipping...

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By spaceturtle

I've not experienced this. I'm running it on a little "over" high. I've also been messing around tweaking the game but haven't experienced this on any of the settings I've tried out.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

I thought there was a easter egg of a texture of Clippy, the MS Word helper guy, on one of the PCs in the game and I was excited. :(

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By infininja

Happens from time to time, but not always.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Sucks for you. Maybe its the low resolution you must be running the game in with your rig. No offense, but it is on it's last legs. It's tech is about 3 years old but they were budget pc model parts back then. Try turning up the res and turning down the detail and see if that gets rid of your issues. I run the game in 1920x1080, 2x antialiasing, 8x filtering, all ultra, a\with the unofficial dx9 dll and I don't have any issues at all with graphics.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @JoeyRavn said:

" I've been finally able to tweak the game as much as possible. I'm running it on Ultra, everything maxed, constant 60FPS on a 9800GT@700/1750/1000MHz, C2D E7400@3.2GHz, 4GB Kingston RAM@800MHz and Win7 Home Premium x64. That's all fine and dandy. The thing is, I'm getting this horrible, aweful clipping problem with textures, or geometry, I don't know which one. They "blink" or "flash", especially when they are part of a more complex structure. For example, when a rock touches the side of a hill, the part of the rock that should be covered by the terrain pops in and out, especially when I'm seeing it from a considerable distance. But still, this happens even from close range. If I use a scope or binoculars from the entrance of the NCR Mojave Outpost main building and aim to the "unification monument", I can how many "patches" of armor in the NCR soldier and the ranger blinking and flashing.  Is anyone experiencing something like this? I've tried setting everything to default, but I still get that annoying clipping... "

Well I haven't played Fallout New Vegas, but it sounds like something to do with the depth buffer accuracy & bad LOD artwork.  Not a technical problem, it's probably Obsidian's fault.

I guess it could be GPU artifacting if it's really happening a lot close range.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

I made this little video to show better what I mean. Even without zooming, the statue "flickers" a bit.

@Diamond said:

"Well I haven't played Fallout New Vegas, but it sounds like something to do with the depth buffer accuracy & bad LOD artwork.  Not a technical problem, it's probably Obsidian's fault.  I guess it could be GPU artifacting if it's really happening a lot close range. "
    Thanks for the answer. I barely get that flickering when I'm close to things, but it does get worse as I move away from them. I tried fully reinstalling the game to no avail. And, AFAIK, it's the only game where I get this artifacts...
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Do you have Antialiasing (FSAA) enabled?  Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers which have specific support for New Vegas? 

New in Release 260.99

• Increases performance vs. v260.89 drivers in the following PC games: Civilization V (SLI), Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIV, and Formula 1 Racing (DX11).
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" Do you have Antialiasing (FSAA) enabled?  Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers which have specific support for New Vegas? 

New in Release 260.99

• Increases performance vs. v260.89 drivers in the following PC games: Civilization V (SLI), Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIV, and Formula 1 Racing (DX11).
    "
    Yes, and yes. I've tried both the 260.89 and .99 drivers, with AA on and off, but nothing changes. I still get that flickering :( 

Oh, and the temperatures are fine, both for my CPU and GPU.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JoeyRavn:   Hmm.  I wonder if you have your drivers set to performance as opposed to quality.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @JoeyRavn:   Hmm.  I wonder if you have your drivers set to performance as opposed to quality. "
    I changed it from the NVIDIA Control Panel to Quality, but still the same :(
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JoeyRavn Make sure to restarting so that LoD levels get set properly.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Restart, I meant. Damn itouch

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @JoeyRavn Make sure to restarting so that LoD levels get set properly. "
    Thanks for the reply, but nothing changed after restarting. I guess I'll have to wait till a new patch or drivers come out and hopefully fix my problem. I asked on the official Bethesda forums, but I get the feeling I won't get any reply...
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Faint

my game keeps flashing blotches of white and pink when im looking out into the distance in the game, if that's sort of what you are talking about? 64 bit windows 7 on max graphics.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Faint said:
    " my game keeps flashing blotches of white and pink when im looking out into the distance in the game, if that's sort of what you are talking about? 64 bit windows 7 on max graphics. "
    That's probably the infamous NVIDIA glitch. There are a couple of manual solutions (like setting New Vegas to Fallout 3's profile in NVIDIA Inspector) and the latest (260.99) drivers get rid of them... for some people. But my problem is not that. Textures (or the geometry) "clip" in the distance, like in the video I posted earlier.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " I made this little video to show better what I mean. Even without zooming, the statue "flickers" a bit.

@Diamond said:
    "Well I haven't played Fallout New Vegas, but it sounds like something to do with the depth buffer accuracy & bad LOD artwork.  Not a technical problem, it's probably Obsidian's fault.  I guess it could be GPU artifacting if it's really happening a lot close range. "
    Thanks for the answer. I barely get that flickering when I'm close to things, but it does get worse as I move away from them. I tried fully reinstalling the game to no avail. And, AFAIK, it's the only game where I get this artifacts... "
    Yea, definitely looks like typical depth buffer limitations.  It's still a fairly common thing to see in games with large view distances.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.