Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

I don't really want to make a baww it's buggy topic - but c'mon

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nemt

Obsidian does this with EVERY game they make regardless of their schedule or budget.  I've never seen a reviewer call them out on it and their defense force regularly brushes criticism of their entire history aside by saying herp derp Kotor 2 was rushed (which isn't even a valid excuse for that game's bugginess, only its lack of content). 

They had almost half a decade with Alpha Protocol and it came out barely playable and not at all fun.  They've done a much better job with NV than they ever have before, but it's still not a standard we should be embracing.
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By zegolf
    @nemt: Can it really be blamed solely on Obsidian, though?

This game had to pass Microsoft approval, game testers, etc. etc.
    nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nemt

Debugging isn't the responsibility of the production company.  Releasing slapped together broken games can be somewhat blamed on the publisher, but every publisher is willing to do it - Obsidian is the only well known developer I can think of that regularly makes them.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

honestly have not seen any game breaking bugs or even smaller ones for that matter.  Hasn't crashed either been playin for about 8 hours

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By galiant

A great game with a few bugs is still better than a bad game that has none.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Romination

2 things wrong with that. 1: Fallout 3 was really buggy too, and that was Bethesda's engine. If they can't even work things out with their own engine, a third party developer with only 2 or so years to do things isn't going to get it as good as that- and, as I mentioned, Fallout 3 and Oblivion even were buggy as hell. 

Second, yes, a rush IS reason enough to excuse bugs. They didn't have time to make content or polish what they had because it always had to be done yesterday. That's why the really good, really polished games take so long. The game finishes, then they polish it so that as much jank as they can find gets cut out.

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Egg0

I don't know if you've played Fallout 3 or Oblivion. But those were  buggy as hell. And that was just Bethesda.

In this case, it just so happens a pretty good, but buggy developer made it on a already buggy engine. 

I didn't expect them to ship this game bug-free, but I'm picking it up in a few hours. So I'll find out how bad it is.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunkulese
    @nemt said:
    " Obsidian does this with EVERY game they make regardless of their schedule or budget.  I've never seen a reviewer call them out on it and their defense force regularly brushes criticism of their entire history aside by saying herp derp Kotor 2 was rushed (which isn't even a valid excuse for that game's bugginess, only its lack of content).  They had almost half a decade with Alpha Protocol and it came out barely playable and not at all fun.  They've done a much better job with NV than they ever have before, but it's still not a standard we should be embracing. "
    Why is the fact that KOTOR 2 was rushed not a valid excuse for the glitches? Bug squashing occurs at the end of a games development. If they stopped to fix every bug as soon as it popped up games would take twice as long to make. 
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zegolf

Also, this game, along with Fallout 3, are HUGE in terms of content.  70+ hours in Fallout 3 and I know I didn't see more than 60% of the content that the game had to offer and that's not even counting DLC.  There's no way you can produce that much content and not expect bugs.  I'm with  @Galiant  that I would rather have a buggy great game, than a bug-free lousy game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

I thought they would have been able to, I don't know the correct term... 'master'... the engine by now. I really don't know how essentially the same game on the same engine can have more bugs.

Still getting it though.

scottbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scottbeats

I had a few bugs with Fallout 3 and none with alpha protocal and i loved fallout and enjoyed alpha.  as Sackmanjones said none of the bugs have ever been game breaking and the story and gameplay have always outshone  the bugs. People have cryed lazyness, rushed job, and even a crappy engine. The fact of the matter there are alot of other games with far worse bugs which suck. So rather than formulate theorys on why there are a few bugs I am off to play a awsome game :)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

When Ryan kept talking about how buggy Red Dead was, I never experienced a single bug during my entire 100% playthrough. That is probably an anomaly but I hope it's the same with New Vegas...

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By mfpantst

Bawl another its buggy topic!

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THRICE

There really is cause to finally come out and say that every Obsidian developed game comes out a total mess in terms of bugs and glitches. Everyone makes excuses most if not all are totally valid but still there has to be some developer accountability and seriously when has Obsidian made a game that wasn't totally effed in some dramatic way. 

Rush and unfamiliar with engine shouldn't even factor in to New Vegas, its a 5 year old engine the kinks should have been ironed out by now by Bethesda themselves. As for being rushed, there was absolutely no need for NV to come out 2 years to the day practically of Fallout 3 or at all really. Why couldn't Bethesda just make Fallout 4 and have us wait another year, why B-Team a glorified expansion?

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zegolf said:
    " @nemt: Can it really be blamed solely on Obsidian, though?  This game had to pass Microsoft approval, game testers, etc. etc. "
    In Obsidian's case?  I really think it can.  Their track record is a trail of tears.  Buggy tears. 
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CowMuffins
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " I thought they would have been able to, I don't know the correct term... 'master'... the engine by now. I really don't know how essentially the same game on the same engine can have more bugs. Still getting it though. "
    Bethesda didn't make the game, that's why.
    nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nemt
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @nemt said:
    " Obsidian does this with EVERY game they make regardless of their schedule or budget.  I've never seen a reviewer call them out on it and their defense force regularly brushes criticism of their entire history aside by saying herp derp Kotor 2 was rushed (which isn't even a valid excuse for that game's bugginess, only its lack of content).  They had almost half a decade with Alpha Protocol and it came out barely playable and not at all fun.  They've done a much better job with NV than they ever have before, but it's still not a standard we should be embracing. "
    Why is the fact that KOTOR 2 was rushed not a valid excuse for the glitches? Bug squashing occurs at the end of a games development. If they stopped to fix every bug as soon as it popped up games would take twice as long to make.  "

It took amateur programmers a handful of man hours to fix almost every bug/glitch in Kotor 2.  Obsidian [b]just doesn't care[/b].  They're lazy or incompetent or both.
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemt said:
    It took amateur programmers a handful of man hours to fix almost every bug/glitch in Kotor 2.  Obsidian [b]just doesn't care[/b].  They're lazy or incompetent or both. "
    Well, when people buy their games regardless of the state they're released in ...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.