Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

whats with not killing kids?

• 89 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ryanwho
    @rbanke said:

" Oh, the slaughter of the little lamplight children, now that was glory! We need mods on console versions... "

Well let's see. New Vegas already has the nude patch, the unofficial bugfix patch, and several conversaions of FO3 mods. So I'd guess the child killing mod is maybe a month away?
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @ryanwho said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @ryanwho:  And same thing happened in Doom. People look back at games that were vilified or could have easily been vilified, and they think just because they had shitty graphics by today's standards, parents weren't up in arms. It's the King Kong effect. People were convinced the 1920's King Kong was a documentary. We look back on that and think it's ridiculous. A prerendered sprite falling to the ground meant as much then as a polygonal model falling to the ground means today.  Not including child killing is a business decision. Nothing more. "
    But it doesn't. Gaming is a much larger business now. You can't be outraged about something you've never heard of. Only thing I agree with is most people who would be outraged, much like with Doom, wouldn't even be looking at the game so its fidelity wouldn't matter. They just hear that the game their son wants has blood, naked women, and satanic imagery. "
    I'm sorry. You say it doesn't, but you also agree with the fact that it is a business decision. Nothing about the culture has changed. Parents are still just as freaked out by the thought of little Jimmy learning to kill from Little Big Planet. Before all they heard was that their son wanted a bloody naked game, and now all they heard was their son wants a bloody naked game. Now there's just too much money on the line.

And if you think these games weren't being looked at, you clearly don't remember the game demos on the floor of congress.
    Jesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Jesel

You just got to play yourself some DnD. 

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Jesel:  Hell, yeah, there you go. How small do you think D&D was back then. Tiny! But it was the biggest shit storm you ever saw. 10 years D&D was being demonized! It's probably why Wizard's of the Coast is in the position it is now. (Well, that and outstanding mismanagement, but whatever.)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ryanwho
    @Ragdrazi said:
    " @ryanwho said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @ryanwho:  And same thing happened in Doom. People look back at games that were vilified or could have easily been vilified, and they think just because they had shitty graphics by today's standards, parents weren't up in arms. It's the King Kong effect. People were convinced the 1920's King Kong was a documentary. We look back on that and think it's ridiculous. A prerendered sprite falling to the ground meant as much then as a polygonal model falling to the ground means today.  Not including child killing is a business decision. Nothing more. "
    But it doesn't. Gaming is a much larger business now. You can't be outraged about something you've never heard of. Only thing I agree with is most people who would be outraged, much like with Doom, wouldn't even be looking at the game so its fidelity wouldn't matter. They just hear that the game their son wants has blood, naked women, and satanic imagery. "
    I'm sorry. You say it doesn't, but you also agree with the fact that it is a business decision. Nothing about the culture has changed. Parents are still just as freaked out by the thought of little Jimmy learning to kill from Little Big Planet. Before all they heard was that their son wanted a bloody naked game, and now all they heard was their son wants a bloody naked game. Now there's just too much money on the line.

And if you think these games weren't being looked at, you clearly don't remember the game demos on the floor of congress. "
    Why would I waste space in my brain remembering some congressional red herring?
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @ryanwho: I don't know man, but it was scary at the time. And it's pretty critical to this conversation. Listen, this whole debate is so often framed in a complete lack of context. This problem has always been here, and it's always been bad.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By landon

Dexter doesn't even kill kids you sick freak.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ryanwho
    @Ragdrazi: I don't know that we're fully disagreeing or anything. I just think there are a lot of good reasons not to include this and not very many good reasons to include this. Personally, I've never been compelled to kill a kid in the game, and they're pretty rare to begin with, and I basically played through my first time completely oblivious to the fact that children couldn't be targeted. Much like the sex minigame in ME, if it were there, it would be just be something that exists in the game that I have no interest in. If F:NV did have kid killing, that's what people would be talking about, instead of the actual game. And then people would suggest the game requires a gimmick in order to get noticed. All in all it just doesn't seem like a big enough issue for people to get super passionate about one way or another, for me at least. They add something that maybe %5 of the people who play even discover, and then they have to deal with a bunch of negative press. Who needs that headache?
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @ryanwho:  The best reason, and the only reason that needs to be said is that it is part of the artistic integrity of the game. As I've said, it gave the game a depth that it would not have had. I doubt anyone would suggest the child killing was a gimmick, unless they lacked the context of the original games, and do not remember the bravery the designers of 1 and 2 showed. They knew there was the potential for huge negative press. But there was a point in allowing you to accidentally shoot a child, and even a point in allowing you to shoot them on purpose, and the point is now lost.

What I'm saying is that I am upset that games have become an industry that thinks like an industry. Taking risk is now a problem, regardless of whether that risk is controversial or not. Right now, we are on the brink of games possibly being declared devoid of artistic value. I just wish the video game industry wasn't doing that for us all on its own.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By DH69

cause developers are pussies, and most news channels/politicians will go out of their way to exploit the ugly side of videogames

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By ch13696
    @DH69 said:
    " cause developers are pussies, and most news channels/politicians will go out of their way to exploit the ugly side of videogames "
    Please don't remind us of tomorrow November 2nd. It's going to be a sad day for gamers if that law comes into place.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By coaxmetal

Although I have no interest in killing children in video games, this topic had the effect of reminding me how much more fun I had with the original games than with Fallout 3. Also, in games where you straight-up murder everyone, the restriction on killing children does seem kind of strange, and the best solution would probably indeed be not to include children, unless you are willing to brave the media shitstorm.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DH69
    @ch13696 said:
    " @DH69 said:
    " cause developers are pussies, and most news channels/politicians will go out of their way to exploit the ugly side of videogames "
    Please don't remind us of tomorrow November 2nd. It's going to be a sad day for gamers if that law comes into place. "

no clue what you're talking about...
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Ragdrazi said:
    " @ryanwho:  The best reason, and the only reason that needs to be said is that it is part of the artistic integrity of the game. As I've said, it gave the game a depth that it would not have had. I doubt anyone would suggest the child killing was a gimmick, unless they lacked the context of the original games, and do not remember the bravery the designers of 1 and 2 showed. They knew there was the potential for huge negative press. But there was a point in allowing you to accidentally shoot a child, and even a point in allowing you to shoot them on purpose, and the point is now lost.  What I'm saying is that I am upset that games have become an industry that thinks like an industry. Taking risk is now a problem, regardless of whether that risk is controversial or not. Right now, we are on the brink of games possibly being declared devoid of artistic value. I just wish the video game industry wouldn't be doing that for us all on its own. "
    I understand what you're saying, but I honestly see the camp of people who would acknowledge the artistic merit of such a decision, being far outnumbered by the people who'd be making thirty second youtube videos titled, "LoL, Blew up a school."  I'd rather lose a slight ping of realism in a very unrealistic game already than have this game locked up underneath a counter, having to ask for it specifically and show an id, only to be glared at by a grandma in a corner, cause I just bought a ticket to hell. 
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Rockdalf said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @ryanwho:  The best reason, and the only reason that needs to be said is that it is part of the artistic integrity of the game. As I've said, it gave the game a depth that it would not have had. I doubt anyone would suggest the child killing was a gimmick, unless they lacked the context of the original games, and do not remember the bravery the designers of 1 and 2 showed. They knew there was the potential for huge negative press. But there was a point in allowing you to accidentally shoot a child, and even a point in allowing you to shoot them on purpose, and the point is now lost.  What I'm saying is that I am upset that games have become an industry that thinks like an industry. Taking risk is now a problem, regardless of whether that risk is controversial or not. Right now, we are on the brink of games possibly being declared devoid of artistic value. I just wish the video game industry wouldn't be doing that for us all on its own. "
    I understand what you're saying, but I honestly see the camp of people who would acknowledge the artistic merit of such a decision, being far outnumbered by the people who'd be making thirty second youtube videos titled, "LoL, Blew up a school."  I'd rather lose a slight ping of realism in a very unrealistic game already than have this game locked up underneath a counter, having to ask for it specifically and show an id, only to be glared at by a grandma in a corner, cause I just bought a ticket to hell.  "
    I really don't care about that camp. That camp belongs in fuck... I don't know... what's the demonizable country now... China. Fallout used to be quite realistic in it's own way. But that's gone now, too, because of all of this.

All of this talk, artistic merit, free speech, if we were talking about a movie, or, shit, a book, none of this crap would be happening. It's only because this is a video game. And I'm kind of more than a little sick of it.
    BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By BlaineBlaine

No Caption Provided
    JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JammyJesus

Apparently it's wrong or something. Who knew?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

You know I ask that question about the real world every day.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NickL

what makes killing a kid worse than killing an adult? 
    either way you are taking away someones chance at living, seems like the same thing to me

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By bjorno

kids are not real people so it should be LESS offensive to kill them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @NickL said:
    " what makes killing a kid worse than killing an adult? either way you are taking away someones chance at living, seems like the same thing to me "
    I ask this question a lot. Maybe because kids are more innocent? I'm not sure of the reason, but it is a strong taboo. Just like sex, or being able to play as bad guys in videogames. "
    Children are in general smaller, weaker, and more innocent.  Being able to play a grown adult that can just waltz up to a little boy and murder him in cold blood is really just beyond unnecessary.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ArchScabby

It saves room for doing it in real life.  If you could kill kids in the game all the time you wouldn't ever want to do it for real.

"You'll spoil your dinner," and such.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By AndrewB
    @august said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    " I can understand them being gun-shy about letting you harm kids. Even in the original Fallout, the option was patched out.
    Not in the American version. "
    Ah yes, I forgot that was just a european version thing.
    essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By essi2

Even if they released a game with Child death enabled, it wouldn't be released in Europe. Killable children in video games is apparently illegal. 

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Helimocopter

Fallout is the only game that made me want to harm a child
    most games make them cutesy enough or enough of a non-factor for me not to care, or to even feel protective of them

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By penguindust
    @Geno said:
    " In case you're playing the PC version, there should be a mod either released or releasing soon that will enable you to kill them. FO3 had one.  "
    This, you can even play as a child with your own crew of kid companions in a properly modded PC version of Fallout 3.  Since the F:NV mod site is up and a lot of stuff is being ported over from FO3 to F:NV, I'm sure there will be a "killable children" mod to that game soon enough. 
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@essi2 said:

" Even if they released a game with Child death enabled, it wouldn't be released in Europe. Killable children in video games is apparently illegal.  "

Cause Europe is one big country with the same laws everywhere. 

@ryanwho said:

" @rbanke said:

" Oh, the slaughter of the little lamplight children, now that was glory! We need mods on console versions... "

Well let's see. New Vegas already has the nude patch, the unofficial bugfix patch, and several conversaions of FO3 mods. So I'd guess the child killing mod is maybe a month away? "
     http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34853'

I think it came out a couple of days after release.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Bocam

Does wanting to kill baby Mario, count as wanting to kill a child?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Vodun
    @Hailinel: So what if I played like 10 year old who got into daddy's gun locker and started blasting away my school mates? Is it ok then? Because then we're all kids, no age difference...it's just peer killing, like regular video games.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By Faint

ive been meaning to off them kids... *looks at list of things to do*

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Hailinel said:

" @Godlyawesomeguy said:

" @NickL said:

" what makes killing a kid worse than killing an adult? either way you are taking away someones chance at living, seems like the same thing to me "
    I ask this question a lot. Maybe because kids are more innocent? I'm not sure of the reason, but it is a strong taboo. Just like sex, or being able to play as bad guys in videogames. "
    Children are in general smaller, weaker, and more innocent.  Being able to play a grown adult that can just waltz up to a little boy and murder him in cold blood is really just beyond unnecessary. "
    I agree. 

To the larger question of censorship: I believe many people are neglecting to remember that Fallout 3  had to change the names of the aid items for the ESRB (i.e. morphine became med-x, etc.). It's not that videogames couldn't include an act as macabre as child murder, it is simply that doing so would likely get them the "kiss of death" from the ESRB (the "Adult Only" rating).   

Profligately immoral content simply isn't conducive to turning a profit.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#84  Edited By citizenkane

Shooting women and children is still socially frowned up more than shooting men due to the shield of innocence we cover them with and the roles they play in our society(killing women and children inherently kills the future of our population and civilization).  Fellow grown men are able to defend themselves better than women and children and therefore equal in a fight with you.

Basically, it would cause a ruckus in the media and certain social organizations if a high profile game allowed you to kill kids.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FritzDude

You can't kill them, but you sure can scare them. Good enough for me.

ProudMeowican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ProudMeowican

I eat babies so killing kiddies sounds pretty cool to me.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By Yanngc33

That sort of shit is messed up

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By mzuckerm
    @BionicMonster: Love that comment.
    myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By myalt22

You can do all manner of unspeakable things in HellMOO.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Fox News. 
    Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@NickL said:
    " Im playing an evil bastard and in freeside a kid tells me he wont give me his gun because he needs to shoot stacy, i decide i will shoot her for him just to find out the game wont let me shoot a child...  should games leave it up to the user if they want to kill a child or is it better the way it is? "
    Actually, the reason I heard is because killing babies and children pretty much guarantees that you're going to get an M rating, which makes it quite difficult to sell your games (your audience is limited to adults and parents who will buy anything).  In "The Sims 2", you can't set babies on fire, no matter how hard you try.  Sometimes, you can't kill people who are involved with giving quests (That's the simplest way to fix it so you can't break your quest chains).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.