Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Graphically underwhelming?

• 57 results
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Sooty

@The_Nubster said:

@Vitor: That's really what I was getting at. Unless you were raised on nothing but 60 FPS (which I was not), it's hard to tell the difference, and most people only realize it when they're told that a game is running at 60 FPS. 30 FPS is more than enough for anything game-related, especially during a single-player session. I can acknowledge that CoD feels smoother than most games (even though it doesn't maintain 60 FPS all the way through), but CoD on 30 FPS wouldn't be a shitshow like most PC gamers seem to think. Whenever anyone mentions anything about frames, you get super-defensive PC gamers who will treat anyone who doesn't play at 60 FPS like lesser human beings, and that's just ridiculous.

Anybody who can't tell the difference needs their eyes checked, it doesn't matter what they are used to.

Now, people not knowing the difference being due to different frame rates is whole other 'issue'.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By ericdrum

I think all of the talk about who sees what and what framerate is acceptable is pretty arbitrary. I'm one of those people who notices anything under 60 and am put off by it. I know others who see 30 and they are happy. I think it's all in how our own brains are interpreting what our eyes are seeing. Personally, I wish that I could be happy with 30. I'm jealous of those that are. But the fact is that for some of us, the difference between 30 and 60 is staggering and it's worth not playing a game over.

As for me and my rig, it can handle this game maxed out although I switched a couple things to medium to push the frames up a bit. I think it really looks fantastic, but that is really just personal taste. I'm not sure that it looks the best ever, but I am curious to hear what other people think is better, in terms of graphics.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By uhtaree

I'm a ~45fps man myself.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DX10 Far cry 2 on High > DX9 Far cry 2 on Very/Ultra high. This is for a long shot. You are basically playing the console version on Dx9. Actually, thats mostly why dx9 is there. Because thats what most console games are based on. Why did crysis have to be on cryengine 3? Even though technically, the 360 had all the power necessary to play it on cryengine 2? Dx9 crysis doesn't look all that appealing. It really doesnt. I was highly underwhelmed playing it on high for the first time. So why release it?

I say you're better off cutting a few settings back and running in dx11 if your card supports it.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By thetenthdoctor

Even on DX9, the huge difference in resolution, framerate and texture quality makes the PC version look far better than console. Saying that DX9 makes it basically the console version is silly.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@Sooty: Your CPU might be better than mine- a dual core i5 655k 3.2ghz. I'm OC'ing my 470 to about 800, so I suspect my CPU is the bottleneck.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Brendan

@Sooty said:

@Brendan said:

DX9 is old as hell so yeah, that probably explains a portion of it.

What? The Witcher 2 still looks better than Far Cry 2 and that's Dx9.

DX9 is old as hell so yeah, that probably explains a portion of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.