Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R. 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

Developed by Day 1 Studios, F.3.A.R. (pronounced "Fear Three") is the final chapter in the F.E.A.R. franchise and continues the twisted story of Alma Wade and her two sons, Paxton Fettel and the Point Man.

Fear 3 (PC) has some serious graphical issues

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dread612

Just an update: Day One Studios released an update the other day that corrected these issues. Horray for fast patching.   
    Finally can turn off motion blur. The film grain in a little to high for my tastes but its tolerable.
    This game is actually pretty good so far. Not as crazy messed up as the past ones but the action/combat is quite intense.

Issues addressed in this version:
    * Stuttering and jerky movement at frame rates above 30 fps is fixed!
    * Steam voice communication "push-to-talk" option is now fully supported.
    * 4-player voice chat should no longer have audio drop-outs.
    * A rare bug that would cause enemies to stop spawning in Contractions is now fixed.
    * The game will now prefer Steam cloud storage over local file system storage.
    * Network connection reliability has been improved.
    * Support for wider than 16x9 aspect ratio displays has been added to support users with non-standard display devices and spanned multi-monitor displays like AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround.
    * An "options.cfg" file has been added to the F.E.A.R. 3 install directory for advanced user customization and troubleshooting. Included in this file are options to extend the FOV on narrow aspect ratio displays, reduce or remove motion blur, and to override driver-default settings for full-screen refresh rate, overscan, letterboxing, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a fair warning to my fellow Giant Bomb PC brethren:

A. The motion blur / distortion on this game is cranked way to high and you can't lower down or disable it. Its almost like your drunk. I tried playing it through for 15 minutes and I really got seriously disoriented.
    B.  FoV is about as crappy as Borderland's, like playing looking through a camera's viewfinder.
    C. This weird stuttering effect, hard to explain but I found a video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41ENFKYZbc&hd=1)

Looking at the config files hasn't been any help. Hopefully the community can find a workaround or the developer can give us some goddamn options and let us disable this crap.

Anyways, yay for wasting more money on a game I have to wait to play until someone fixes it for the PC (see Dungeon Siege 3).
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

That video looks like it's the same thing played over and over in slow motion, but I believe you. 

But it runs perfectly on my 360. Yay! 

I assume it was just a bad porting job. Kind of odd, considering that FEAR 1 and 2 on PC were not ports at all, at least Monolith said they weren't.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

@Dread612: I had the issue throughout the game, you just get used to it, I thought at first my Frame rate was getting low (Which didn't make sense considering its a 570) but its just the game, lowering the AA and getting a higher Frame rate helped a lot but it as far as I can tell it is there and its not going away.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TanoPrime

I haven't really noticed graphic issues.  I just noticed the graphics are passable.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By infininja

@believer258 said:

That video looks like it's the same thing played over and over in slow motion, but I believe you. But it runs perfectly on my 360. Yay! I assume it was just a bad porting job. Kind of odd, considering that FEAR 1 and 2 on PC were not ports at all, at least Monolith said they weren't.

I played FEAR 2 for the first time, on Windows, a couple months ago. It had bad port written all over it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Curious what cpu are you guys running? If it still have a problem with a good cpu, then it's a lousy port.

morbidteaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By morbidteaparty

is it the same graphics engine as the original or have they updated it? (sorry i haven't played F.E.A.R 2 on pc so i don't know)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar
    @morbidteaparty said:
    is it the same graphics engine as the original or have they updated it? (sorry i haven't played F.E.A.R 2 on pc so i don't know)
    the original as in Fear 1? no.
    maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maginnovision

I've beat the game and I didn't have any problems. I only had two times where textures took almost forever to load in. One of those times specifically a wall wasn't textured until just as I was exiting the area it decided to load the texture. Other than that no issues at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.