Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy Tactics

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 20, 1997

Final Fantasy Tactics is an isometric turn-based strategy game with RPG elements set in the world of Ivalice. It follows the plight of Ramza Beoulve on his quest to obtain the 12 Zodiac Brave stones and stop the corrupt Church of Glabados from unleashing an ancient evil.

Mento's Alternative to E3 2018 Day 1: A Randomized Final Fantasy Tactics

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

"Enjoy E3 or die in obscurity!" We've all been told that from time to time. But what if I offered an alternative? An alternative to E3? Doesn't that sound nice? Certainly nicer than crowding together inside a stuffy fake church hall, I'd bet. That's what we're doing here, in this Alternative to E3 series that - for 2018 at least - is looking at various "randomizer" hacks to see how fun it might be if our favorite games decided to lose their darn minds. As always, if you're not sure what a randomizer is or you still believe that Indie developers are the only ones turning everything into a roguelike these days, I'd like to introduce you to the darndest little fellow named Garflink and his adventures.

Today's case study is none other than Final Fantasy Tactics. I thought long and hard about which of the many FF randomizers to check out, and then I realized that FFT already has an interesting past when it comes to making big changes to the distribution of enemies. Some years back now, a group of fans created the "1.3" patch, built to address FFT's weird difficulty curve and how much of the second half of the game felt undercooked, letting the player run roughshod over all the powerful late-game jobs (word up to my Calculators! Deadliest nerds this side of the Manhattan Project) but still making every enemy group a boring combination of knights, mages and archers. It's a really smart tweak that improves, and makes more challenging, the pivotal battles towards the end of that game. The randomizer's sort of in the same spirit, but far less discriminate: I wasn't sure what to expect going in beyond absolute chaos. Let's see if my predictions were right.

Day 1: "Sniff Scat at Anal City"

No Caption Provided

The Game: Squaresoft's Final Fantasy Tactics, originally released June of 1997. Next week it'll be legally allowed to drink in the US. I got a good feeling indeed.

The Randomizer: FFT Rumble Chaos Crashdown Randomizer v26.

The Rules of the Randomizer: This one really goes hog wild with what it can change, with fifteen different flags the player can activate while setting it up: the assortment of units, the job stats, skills attached to those jobs, items in stores and their prices, items you receive as spoils, monster stats, and even the battle music. There's also a flag for "special surprises" (disclaimer: I did not see any of these, at least no surprises I'd consider especially special).

In layman's terms, this makes the game kinda nuts, but still beholden to a few laws here and there to ensure it's not a completely unplayable mess. For instance, job progression still seems to be the same: e.g. you need two ranks of Squire before you can switch to Priest (White Mage) or Wizard (Black Mage). That's not quite the same as the original game - Squires lead to Knights and Archers, not Mages - but the overall flow from one job to the next follows a similar suit. That said, those jobs aren't quite how you remember them... in fact, there's a lot of new wrinkles that can make progression take some interesting detours, and a few nasty surprises from the CPU who is always way ahead of you in that regard. Suffice it to say, this won't be one of those RPG randomizers that'll be easy right off the bat.

The Playthrough:

PS1 emulation is so much fun, you guys. Alas, it's the only way to patch the randomizer in.
    PS1 emulation is so much fun, you guys. Alas, it's the only way to patch the randomizer in.
    Welcome to Final Fantasy Tactics! Those spicy 1997 polygons, oh my. We're skipping all of the story, by the by. Go play the game yourself if you want to read it.
    Welcome to Final Fantasy Tactics! Those spicy 1997 polygons, oh my. We're skipping all of the story, by the by. Go play the game yourself if you want to read it.
    Right into the prologue battle. Those of you in the know are aware that this takes place a little further in the game - the first act is more of a flashback - so we'll see some advanced jobs here, no doubt. Well, I mean, you can see three samurai in this picture.
    Right into the prologue battle. Those of you in the know are aware that this takes place a little further in the game - the first act is more of a flashback - so we'll see some advanced jobs here, no doubt. Well, I mean, you can see three samurai in this picture.
    Getting the Black Mage to cast the only spell she knows: Fire 2. (She can only cast it once too. Kind of a useless mage if you ask me.)
    Getting the Black Mage to cast the only spell she knows: Fire 2. (She can only cast it once too. Kind of a useless mage if you ask me.)
    Agrias has the unique Holy Knight job, as she's a devout warrior known for her purity and decorum. Which is why I'm making her do a sexy dance for the remainder of this battle. (Dancing is some seriously powerful late-game shit. Kind of struck gold with it here. Agrias knows a lot of dances too; I guess she wasn't always a Holy Knight.)
    Agrias has the unique Holy Knight job, as she's a devout warrior known for her purity and decorum. Which is why I'm making her do a sexy dance for the remainder of this battle. (Dancing is some seriously powerful late-game shit. Kind of struck gold with it here. Agrias knows a lot of dances too; I guess she wasn't always a Holy Knight.)
    Lavian, the
    Lavian, the "Chargin' Chemist" as we call her. I don't think I'm going to need her much; I don't see us taking much damage from those three White Mages.
    Ramza has some rad samurai skills, but of course no samurai swords to use them with. Instead, we're stuck with his useless Squire skills. At least I can control everyone in this fight, instead of being stuck controlling the least useful member.
    Ramza has some rad samurai skills, but of course no samurai swords to use them with. Instead, we're stuck with his useless Squire skills. At least I can control everyone in this fight, instead of being stuck controlling the least useful member.
    The only samurai fighting for my side is equipped with a bow, for no particular reason I can find. It also means he can't use his samurai blade skills either.
    The only samurai fighting for my side is equipped with a bow, for no particular reason I can find. It also means he can't use his samurai blade skills either.
    Meanwhile, the three enemy White Mages immediately run into a corner and start Curing and Protecting themselves. Quite the infiltration team you've assembled here, Prince Goltanna.
    Meanwhile, the three enemy White Mages immediately run into a corner and start Curing and Protecting themselves. Quite the infiltration team you've assembled here, Prince Goltanna.
    Agria's Wiznaibu hits every enemy unit with a moderate amount of damage every half-turn, or thereabouts, so at least she's pulling her weight. It might go faster if I just Stasis Sword everyone instead, but Dancin' Agrias is just too funny.
    Agria's Wiznaibu hits every enemy unit with a moderate amount of damage every half-turn, or thereabouts, so at least she's pulling her weight. It might go faster if I just Stasis Sword everyone instead, but Dancin' Agrias is just too funny.
    Gafgarion, the other hard hitter for this battle, is pretty much the same as he always is. One difference is that he has a passive movement ability that regenerates MP, even though his skills don't need it.
    Gafgarion, the other hard hitter for this battle, is pretty much the same as he always is. One difference is that he has a passive movement ability that regenerates MP, even though his skills don't need it.
    Stasis Sword, it turns out, is now part of the Black Mage tree. That's why our Black Mage knows it (but, of course, cannot use it because Black Mages can't equip swords).
    Stasis Sword, it turns out, is now part of the Black Mage tree. That's why our Black Mage knows it (but, of course, cannot use it because Black Mages can't equip swords).
    I feel kind of bad for this enemy team. The prologue battle's supposed to be easy, but three White Mages is a rough draw.
    I feel kind of bad for this enemy team. The prologue battle's supposed to be easy, but three White Mages is a rough draw.
    Still, at least THEIR samurai get to have samurai swords. Asura's one of the earliest Iaido skills, but it still hits a wide area very hard.
    Still, at least THEIR samurai get to have samurai swords. Asura's one of the earliest Iaido skills, but it still hits a wide area very hard.
    Yeah, no shit she leveled up. She did most of the work. What, the samurai with the blowdart was going to sweep the battlefield? Or maybe Ramza with his Wishes?
    Yeah, no shit she leveled up. She did most of the work. What, the samurai with the blowdart was going to sweep the battlefield? Or maybe Ramza with his Wishes?
    All the same, history proceeds as it must, and Delita gets away with Princess Ovelia on his trusty Malboro steed. I wish I could ride a Malboro. Sort of suspect it might be a bumpy ride though.
    All the same, history proceeds as it must, and Delita gets away with Princess Ovelia on his trusty Malboro steed. I wish I could ride a Malboro. Sort of suspect it might be a bumpy ride though.
    Anyway, time to flash back to a time when Ramza was even more useless than he is now. Gariland Military Academy, home of the Fighting Garilands!
    Anyway, time to flash back to a time when Ramza was even more useless than he is now. Gariland Military Academy, home of the Fighting Garilands! "We, the Garilands, will knock you all down!"
    Rad, Lavian and Alicia are long gone, replaced with some randomized underlings. They're all invariably Squires and Archers, but I suspect I might get attached to young Nyhu here all the same.
    Rad, Lavian and Alicia are long gone, replaced with some randomized underlings. They're all invariably Squires and Archers, but I suspect I might get attached to young Nyhu here all the same.
    Montdu, meanwhile, is one of our Archers. You'll note that everyone has a randomized set of Archer and Squire skills - they're the only two jobs available at this level, so no double-blade ninja juggernauts right out of the gate alas.
    Montdu, meanwhile, is one of our Archers. You'll note that everyone has a randomized set of Archer and Squire skills - they're the only two jobs available at this level, so no double-blade ninja juggernauts right out of the gate alas.
    Oh wow, that's quite an ambitious name this feisty starlet-in-the-making has. I anticipate great things from her.
    Oh wow, that's quite an ambitious name this feisty starlet-in-the-making has. I anticipate great things from her.
    Starting off with the first real battle of the game, and it figures that Teacher's Pet Delita is already slinging Holy Sword abilities around.
    Starting off with the first real battle of the game, and it figures that Teacher's Pet Delita is already slinging Holy Sword abilities around.
    Delita started with some Black Magic skills which - if you recall - included a handful of Holy Sword abilities. The weird trade-off is that he isn't allowed to wear clothes. Hmm. Damage Split, meanwhile, is a handy counter ability that reflects half the incoming damage to the attacker.
    Delita started with some Black Magic skills which - if you recall - included a handful of Holy Sword abilities. The weird trade-off is that he isn't allowed to wear clothes. Hmm. Damage Split, meanwhile, is a handy counter ability that reflects half the incoming damage to the attacker.
    So here's how this battle went in brief: Ramza and his group of newbies spent three rounds getting to the fight from the random rooftop they started on, by which point Delita had already killed everyone and taken all the XP and JP. That's Delita the Deleter for you.
    So here's how this battle went in brief: Ramza and his group of newbies spent three rounds getting to the fight from the random rooftop they started on, by which point Delita had already killed everyone and taken all the XP and JP. That's Delita the Deleter for you.
    Some basic gear here, though the Lightning Ball seems a bit strange. It's a ninja item, so it'll be a while before I have someone who can use it.
    Some basic gear here, though the Lightning Ball seems a bit strange. It's a ninja item, so it'll be a while before I have someone who can use it.
    Ah, finally, access to the Formation and Map screens. Time for some tinkerin'!
    Ah, finally, access to the Formation and Map screens. Time for some tinkerin'!
    Delita, naturally, has a significant head start on the rest of the pack. Every character has a random amount of JP in all their Jobs upon starting, though I'm not sure if that also includes jobs that are not yet available. Nobody starts at level 2 in a job, though, so I suspect I'm not going to get let off too easy there. Anyway, the special Squire job that Delita and Ramza start as don't have any big surprises.
    Delita, naturally, has a significant head start on the rest of the pack. Every character has a random amount of JP in all their Jobs upon starting, though I'm not sure if that also includes jobs that are not yet available. Nobody starts at level 2 in a job, though, so I suspect I'm not going to get let off too easy there. Anyway, the special Squire job that Delita and Ramza start as don't have any big surprises.
    Everyone has a random amount of XP to start with too, besides poor ol Ramza. Some of the above characters didn't even take part in the last fight, and they're still closer to level 2 than Ramza is.
    Everyone has a random amount of XP to start with too, besides poor ol Ramza. Some of the above characters didn't even take part in the last fight, and they're still closer to level 2 than Ramza is.
    Wow, OK, so the first battle outside the city has a Sacred enemy. These are badass minotaurs that show up towards the end of the game - they're the third
    Wow, OK, so the first battle outside the city has a Sacred enemy. These are badass minotaurs that show up towards the end of the game - they're the third "tier" of palette swaps for the minotaur class, which are already troublesome enough due to their high HP and physical attack. The one bright spot is that it's only level 1, but this will still be a bloodbath.
    Delita immediately gets to work murdering three bandits at once, but the Sacred is tearing our cadet group into pieces.
    Delita immediately gets to work murdering three bandits at once, but the Sacred is tearing our cadet group into pieces.
    NOOOOOOOOOOO! You were the chosen one!
    NOOOOOOOOOOO! You were the chosen one!
    We finally brought that Sacred down (no thanks to Delita or our other guest Algus, who both got taken out) but I lost two of my recruits in the process. Still! It's kind of exciting that it got so close to the wire.
    We finally brought that Sacred down (no thanks to Delita or our other guest Algus, who both got taken out) but I lost two of my recruits in the process. Still! It's kind of exciting that it got so close to the wire.
    Really doesn't seem worth it. You telling me that the Sacred had nothing good on him?
    Really doesn't seem worth it. You telling me that the Sacred had nothing good on him?
    Apparently, I missed this while checking the other team members. Standard Squires, which is to say anyone who isn't Ramza or Delita, have two extra skills: Asura, which we've already seen in action, and Hydragon Pit, which is actually a Heaven Knight ability - Rafa/Rapha's unique job. 500JP might be a bit steep at this point of the game, though.
    Apparently, I missed this while checking the other team members. Standard Squires, which is to say anyone who isn't Ramza or Delita, have two extra skills: Asura, which we've already seen in action, and Hydragon Pit, which is actually a Heaven Knight ability - Rafa/Rapha's unique job. 500JP might be a bit steep at this point of the game, though.
    And it's only after battle #2 that I realize no-one gave Ramza a sword. Get it together, Ramza.
    And it's only after battle #2 that I realize no-one gave Ramza a sword. Get it together, Ramza.
    We've had enough time to mourn FFMaster (about thirty seconds) so it's time to recruit a new Squire. Hopefully they'll live a bit longer (spoiler: that is, if I remember to give them equipment next time).
    We've had enough time to mourn FFMaster (about thirty seconds) so it's time to recruit a new Squire. Hopefully they'll live a bit longer (spoiler: that is, if I remember to give them equipment next time).
    The Sweegy Woods battle is normally a fairly simple skirmish against some weaker monsters. I say normally, but after that Sacred encounter I was paranoid that I'd have some ominous customers to deal with. Fortunately, while we do have some high-level goblin types, there's nothing overwhelming here. Party members and guests, by the way, have random start zones - that's why Algus is running deep with the monsters in this screenshot (though knowing what comes later, I think he has more in common with them than anyone realizes).
    The Sweegy Woods battle is normally a fairly simple skirmish against some weaker monsters. I say normally, but after that Sacred encounter I was paranoid that I'd have some ominous customers to deal with. Fortunately, while we do have some high-level goblin types, there's nothing overwhelming here. Party members and guests, by the way, have random start zones - that's why Algus is running deep with the monsters in this screenshot (though knowing what comes later, I think he has more in common with them than anyone realizes).
    Another quick battle summary: we got into some difficulty with the flying eye enemy and the purple goblins, the latter having some beefy long-distance attacks. Fortunately, everyone survived, and my archer Uyjhm (I pronounce it
    Another quick battle summary: we got into some difficulty with the flying eye enemy and the purple goblins, the latter having some beefy long-distance attacks. Fortunately, everyone survived, and my archer Uyjhm (I pronounce it "Oi, Jim!") got the final hit and went up a job level. Speaking of which, I think I might maneuver Ramza towards the Black Mage job and get him those Holy Sword abilities... might come in useful by the time he has his little solo tete-a-tete with Wiegraf.

At any rate, I think I've shown enough of this game's randomizer off. I'm sad I couldn't get to any of the "special surprises" it talked about, but we've definitely had some challenging battles that have forced me to consider my options more than usual, beyond "let Delita handle it". In fact, I actually kind of want to play more of it. I'd like to see how some of the other early jobs have been affected by the randomizer, like the Monk and Thief, and whether or not I can quickly get Ramza into a state where he might actually be formidable.

I'm not sure I reaped the benefits of every single flag that I activated, because of course I had to activate them all, but I suspect this playthrough will continue to surprise me if I stick with it, tossing all manner of ludicrously tough monsters my way as I'm forced to seriously consider my tactics and team composition. Even random encounters are going to be more dangerous than the story missions where I'm at: the randoms tend to involve more monsters, and I can't help but wonder if I'm going to bump into a Lucavi or Ultima Beast at this rate. Definitely one of the first randomizers I've played this week that I can objectively say has improved on the experience, though perhaps only because it's shaking up some otherwise straightforward early battles. Man, I really want to know what those special surprises are...!

Rating: A-.

Day -2: EarthBoundDay -1: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Day 0: Super Mario WorldDay 1: Final Fantasy Tactics
    Day 2: Pokémon FireRedDay 3: Secret of Mana
    GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Man, you're just making me want to replay Final Fantasy Tactics again. My dream would be to have the Octopath devs do a proper FFT sequel for Switch as their next game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.