Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy V

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Dec 06, 1992

Join Bartz and his friends on an epic journey spanning the globe in an attempt to stop four mystical crystals from shattering, with a character-customizing Job system that some consider to be the "father" of similar RPGs to come.

Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta: Part 5 (Blog)

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheBlue

Part 4, yo.

IX: Meteorite Madness!

No Caption Provided

That's right, Butts is back in town for Part 5 of the Fiesta. Now when we last left him, Butts bid farewell to Galuf and Krile as they returned to their world. Interesting thing to note is the fact that the return trip is a simple matter of teleportation, while the initial trip involves crashing a meteor through a dimension into the earth. I could spend this entire post wondering about the elaborate meteor travel infrastructure, but I've already thought about it way too much. Let's just move on.

Prepare to see this line upwards of 3 times.
    Prepare to see this line upwards of 3 times.

...Or we can think about them for the next chunk of the game, sure. Dissatisfied with being left behind while Galuf fights Exdeath in his own world, Butts, Lenna, and Faris decide that they aren't going to let him fight alone. The question is: how do they get there? Investigating one of the meteorites reveals that they could use their power to open a portal, but one meteor isn't enough, and it's going to be a one-way trip. So they must travel to each one and Cid will...do something to it to make it...go, I guess. It's not that simple though, the meteorites are guarded. By MONSTERS! First up are the Purobolos.

No Caption Provided

Now, normally these things are a pain in the ass until you realize their trick. After killing a couple, one of the others uses the Arise spell to revive them. If you don't have a way to hit them all, this battle could theoretically go on forever. Unfortunately for the bombs, they don't have infinite MP. They can only use Arise a few times and once they run out, you're free to massacre them.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Or if you've got a wizard, two Frost Rods are all it takes to wipe them off the map.

The monster guarding the next one is the Manticore. Psh, I've absolutely steamrolled almost every boss at this point, what kind of challenge could this thing possibly bring?

Ow.
    Ow.

Okay well, turns out Aqua Breath is painful. It's fine, it's fine. I'll just be faster with my rod breaking and penny throwing next time. This thing is actually susceptible to Stop as well, but Galuf was my Bard and I neglected to switch anyone to Bard in his absence or give anyone the Sing ability, so I brute forced it instead.

Alright, last one. Who we got?

No Caption Provided

Excuse me sir, you've forgotten your clothes somewhere. Yes, we're all impressed by your physique but honestly, could you put some clothes on?

OW.
    OW.

Titan is a difficult fight. His Earth Shaker attack hits everyone for some pretty hefty damage and he always uses it when he dies so you need to be able to survive it. The strategy here is the same as the Manticore, kill him before he kills me.

And with that, we get a rad summon that we can't use and all of the meteorites are...well whatever they are, the portal is now open! There's literally nothing left for us in this world so let's go!

No Caption Provided

As we say goodbye to World 1, let us remember what we've done and what we've left behind. The dragon that we rode and left...around somewhere and the trail of hundreds of broken rods will serve as a memorial for our deeds.

What could possibly go wrong?
    What could possibly go wrong?

Our heroes take the plunge down into the portal in the center of the world and are carried up into the sky and presumably head sideways into an alternate dimension. Magic! They arrive on a small island in the ocean in the middle of nowhere. Huh, Galuf's world kind of blows. The game ever-so-subtlely tells you to use a tent by giving every random encounter a 100% chance to drop a tent. Oh, and if you faff about for too long, your party "suggests" that you use a tent.

Exdeath? Galuf? Anybody?
    Exdeath? Galuf? Anybody?
    NO I grinded 99 of them! WE NEED THEM.
    NO I grinded 99 of them! WE NEED THEM.

Okay, fine, these things aren't cheap you know. Butts and the others set up camp for the night and oh no! A monster comes to capture them! What a twist! Lenna and Faris are dragged just offscreen and Butts is left to contend with the monster himself.

No Caption Provided
    Hah. Eat it, Abductor. I'm the greatest Samurai.
    Hah. Eat it, Abductor. I'm the greatest Samurai.

Now, you aren't supposed to win this battle, but if you are decently leveled, have high damage output, and get lucky, it can be easily won. For your trouble you get an ether and the chance to brag to your friends about how you totally thwarted Exdeath's machinations.

Nice! He dropped some loot!
    Nice! He dropped some loot!
    Son of a b****!
    Son of a b****!

What a trickster, that Exdeath. The party wakes up in a cell and the man himself is peering in.

Oh Exdeath, you're so evil >:)
    Oh Exdeath, you're so evil >:)

One of Exdeath's lackeys informs him that Galuf is leading an assualt and is currently heading this way. Exdeath promptly prepares for the siege.

...............the what?
    ...............the what?
    We really couldn't come up with a better name for this than
    We really couldn't come up with a better name for this than "The giant mirror"?

Galuf, feeling inadequate at the sight of Exdeath's giant mirror, withdraws his troops and instead decides to go it alone. Now, if anyone is wondering about the rules of the fiesta when it comes to having a party of one, I'm allowed to make Galuf anyone of the four jobs that I have. Once the party reunites though, I need to make sure I have one of each. I made Galuf a Black Mage for this sequence since B. Mages can just nuke every encounter. Luckily, the game gives you easy enemies since you're handicapped.

Galuf sneaks through Exdeath's castle with relative ease since all of the guards are inexplicably locked in a cage as well and Exdeath himself went back to his room, or something. However, one obstacle stands in the way of Galuf releasing his friends.

No Caption Provided

That's right, it's everyone's favorite bumbling idiot, Gilgamesh! Now if you're not familiar with Gilgamesh then you probably haven't played many (or any) Final Fantasy games. Square Enix likes to throw this guy in just about every game as an optional boss, a summon, or a weird treasure hunter guy. More on him later, because he's dispatched quickly for now.

No Caption Provided
    Yep, that's definitely how that line goes.
    Yep, that's definitely how that line goes.
    No Caption Provided

Now that we've gotten our full party back, our four jobs are redistributed thusly. Our heroes must now conduct a sneaking mission to escape from Castle Exdeath. Butts knows exactly how to handle this.

No Caption Provided
    Press
    Press "H" to "sneak".
    No Caption Provided

X: Clash of Titans.

Success! Butts and friends have made it out of Castle Exdeath and can now travel to Galuf's place to regroup and form a new plan of attack! However, escaping was only half the battle. The only way off the island is to cross the Big Bridge and Exdeath's troops are amassing to block our path. Cue the music!

No Caption Provided

The chances of pushing through Exdeath's troops are slim at best. Surely he has gathered his finest soldiers to stop us and surely epic battles to the death will now commence!

Here they come!
    Here they come!

Well, let's just assume that the big guns are being saved for later. Also, I neglected to grab a screenshot of the other half of Exdeath's army, the FLYING KILLERS.

No Caption Provided

Either Exdeath is toying with us, or he honestly thinks some tabbies with wings strapped on will stop his greatest foes. I like to believe that Exdeath is a big softie at heart and just likes cute shit. After dispatching the adorable army, Butts reaches the home stretch. Only one door remains between our heroes and safety, but uh oh...do I hear something behind that door?

No Caption Provided

And this time, he means business. Gilgamesh uses some nasty Blue Magic, but his main gimmick is using Protect and Shell halfway through the fight, halving your damage. He's also got some mighty zingers as he pretends to give up moments before using those spells.

I'll let the lines speak for themselves.
    I'll let the lines speak for themselves.

But alas, even Gilgamesh isn't strong enough to stop Butts. Maybe next time, buddy.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Now that Gilgamesh has been defeated, our party is in the clear. Hey, what's that light over there?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Our heroes are mere seconds too late as Exdeath sets off his castle barrier which sends the party flying off conveniently all in the same direction. They land in the middle of nowhere and not even Galuf knows where they are. Now that they have a second to breathe, he berates them for coming after him and Butts apologizes for ruining his plan. Galuf counters this by saying that what happened ended up being a good thing, because his entire force would've been wiped out by the barrier. To himself, he says that he's happy that Butts and the others are here. A touching moment.

The task is set: find out where the hell we are. We've got an entirely new world to explore and we'll get to it next time!

Rhonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truly enjoying your write ups. I remember making it to the final boss of this game with all the jobs allowed and even then I had a hard time. Best of luck with the next portion!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

If I had wanted to play a "normal ass Final Fantasy game" would five be a good idea? What other games in the series would fall into that category?

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhonlore: Hey, thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

@zombiepie: V would be a pretty good starting place. It was actually my first back when the Advance version first came out. Personally, I found the job system and the speed of the Active time battle to be a bit overwhelming when I played, but I was also just a kid at the time. My honest recommendation would be IV or VI, both are classics of the entire genre. IV is the best for a "simple but great" game and VI is quite frankly a masterpiece that everyone should play. If you're looking for something 3 dimensional, you can't go wrong with VII or IX. IX threw out basically everything that VIII changed and went back to the classics of the entire series. The character designs are weird, but it's a fantastic entry. I - III are very grindy, I'm sure you've heard Jeff talk about X, XII is great but it's a lot different, and well, XIII is XIII.

In short, IV or VI.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@theblue:Hey, your blogs got me back into this game with a new perspective since I've wanted to replay it for some time, my four ended up being Knight, Ranger, Berserker, (Berserker reroll) Blue Mage. Having a tough go in late world 2...

@zombiepie: Try the advance remake of 1+2 for a great version of FF1, FF4 (which is my least favorite besides 13 and 7), advance FFV is amazing and underated, or advance FFVI. IMO 1,3,5,6,9,12 are the best FF games along with any of the tactics games and the chocobo games.

ALSO Crystal Chronicles for GCN is amazing if you have three friends to bum around in a FF game with.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: Cool, glad to hear some people have tried out the fiesta. I assume with that party the crystals gave or are giving you some trouble? Having one berserker is rough enough, but two just seems annoying. You were smart to reroll it and Blue Mage is fantastic. Did you happen to pick up a Death Sickle for your Berserker before leaving World 1?

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: V is one of the most goofiest and camp entries of FF. It is also more mechanically broken than FFVIII but that's the fun of those two and if you don't have a problem with that it's definitively the most "fun" rpg of the series.

The most "normal ass Final Fantasy game" for me is IV. Some will say VI is superior but VI is part of the Kitase VI/VII/VIII (throw in Chrono Trigger if you want) era and isn't "normal ass" traditional and speaking of broken, I won't even get into all the glitches (Evade does nothing, the Goggles do nothing, Vanish + Doom kills everything, the Sketch command has a chance of either ruining your save file or giving you 99 Gem Boxes, etc.) V's Job System might lend itself to abuse, but Final Fantasy VI's Espers/Relics setup practically begs it. It's possible (and pretty easy) to set up Terra so that she's dual-weilding Excalibur and Ragnarok, doublecasting Ultima, summoning Bahamut, choosing from a list of stat bonuses whenever she gains a level, and retaining her Trance command

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.