Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

Fighting Final Fantasy X Parts 50-60: Alright I Admit It! I LOVE This Game!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Part 50: I (Mostly) Enjoyed The Djose Temple Puzzle

Final Fantasy X knows how to add weight to a story.
    Final Fantasy X knows how to add weight to a story.

The Djose Temple is the least offensive cloister puzzle in the game. It crafts a distinct sense of place and doesn't waste your time with bullshit. Watching the temple transform after Yuna's prayer is a marvel. The cloister's line of logic is intelligible and coherent. To be honest, it's one of the few puzzles in Final Fantasy X where I didn't consult a guide.

Observing the consequences of Operation Mi'ihen is the crux of the set piece. The most notable scene pertains to Gatta and Luzzu. For me, Luzzu passed away following the conclusion of Operation Mi'ihen. There's an emptiness to Gatta's final words as he leaves the temple to return to Besaid. The small touches at the temple elevate the location. NPCs can be found mourning the dead, and Yuna is seen caring for the wounded. It becomes nakedly transparent an unspeakable tragedy has occurred.

We also encounter a summoner who isn't a bag of dicks.
    We also encounter a summoner who isn't a bag of dicks.

I prefer the friendly rivalry Isaaru exudes to what Dona conveys. The game gains little from each of these characters, but at least I don't despise Isaaru. It helps Isaaru's interactions with his brothers pays dividends later. Speaking of Dona, there's a fun scene between Auron and her guardian. Barthello begs to shake Auron's hand, and as superficial as the act might sound, it peels away a layer to Auron. Discovering the kinder side to Auron is a slow but pleasurable process.

It AMAZES me this is the only temple with a connection to our surroundings. The designers usually place the temples in between action oriented set pieces. More often than not, the temples end up stopping the game's pace dead in its tracks. What I object to is how they deprive us of positive character interactions. The Djose Temple rectifies this problem. Before you enter the cloister, you witness several character moments. Each provides an emotional core to what we experience at the temple.

Part 51: Time For Me To Come "Clean"

Hopefully me changing the default names to the Aeons wont bite me in the ass.
    Hopefully me changing the default names to the Aeons wont bite me in the ass.

I have to come clean about something. Before I started this series, I was confident I would skewer this game. I was sure I would spend my blogs grousing about Tidus's voice acting. I was convinced each blog would lampoon the story. I was deadset in chiding the game's anime aesthetic. I am forty-hours deep and can confirm I non-ironically love Final Fantasy X. That's right; I love Final Fantasy X.

I love the emotional honesty of the characters. I feel deeply invested in the world. Each location is a visual tour de force. The travelogue structure of the story has a workmanlike quality I respect. I cannot adequately describe in words how much I enjoy this game. I would never have predicted this outcome, but it is AMAZING this has happened.

What a lovable oaf!
    What a lovable oaf!

There's a brief scene at the Djose Temple which justifies my feelings. Tidus meets up with the remaining cast outside the temple. Auron informs him that Yuna is still in her quarters, and there Tidus finds her fast asleep. A priest tells him Yuna spent the night caring for the injured, and ushering those who died to the Farplane. When Yuna awakens, she is embarrassed to discover what time it is. She rushes outside to meet everyone else.

The cast playfully ribs Yuna. Wakka calls her "Sleepyhead," and Auron laughs at her expense. After stomaching hours of melancholy, the cast has a good chuckle. The scene develops a sense of familial bonding. They share a common goal and care about each other despite their differences. The game masterfully crafts a scene where the characters take a relaxing breath of fresh air.

How can anyone hate shit like this?
    How can anyone hate shit like this?

Final Fantasy X revels in how much its characters love each other. It does so without an ounce of malice or cynicism. The game radiates empathy. Likewise, the narrative provides this joyous moment with pinpoint accuracy. Hours ago Yuna harangued Tidus about needing to smile, and now everyone turns the tables on her. I love this shit. I love these characters. I love this game, and I am not embarrassed to admit that!

Part 52: Oh FUCK! It's Another Grinding Level!

Like its temple counterpart, the Djose Road makes lemonade out of lemons. It isn't a spectacular sequence, but it avoids being a disaster. Unlike the highroads which came before it, the Djose Road isn't a painful experience. It provides a semi-stimulating environment with a few character moments to maintain your attention. The sequence isn't free of missteps. The random encounters pop-off in quick succession and some of them are fucked. That said, at least it isn’t a colossal waste of time.

Don't you love it when a previous boss becomes a random encounter?
    Don't you love it when a previous boss becomes a random encounter?

The Djose Road introduces a major plot point upon encountering two Ronso. Biran and Yenke inform us Summoners are disappearing while on their pilgrimage. It's effective front-loading if I have ever seen it. Biran and Yenke also advance Kimahri's character arc. Both of these minor points provide the Djose Road substance. Historical trivia inundated the previous highroads. These factoids added to the tedium intrinsic to the highroads. If a game is going to subject me to grinding, then PLEASE GOD give me SOMETHING to sink my teeth on!

Oh and we fight Belgemine again.
    Oh and we fight Belgemine again.

I dislike Belgemine! Much of this stems from the structure of Summoner-only battles. These battles are laborious puzzles rather than emotional confrontations. Either you exploit the elemental weakness of the opposing summon, or take advantage of its simple attack pattern. There's little strategy to be had, and they play out longer than they should. At least this time Yuna isn't forced to use Valefor.

Whoopie, summons have an independent leveling system!
    Whoopie, summons have an independent leveling system!

I mentioned this on the previous blog, but it bears repeating. Final Fantasy X has too many gameplay mechanics. First, there's the Sphere Grid. It alone takes hours to wrap your mind around. The game surrounds the Sphere Grid with an inventory management system AND character specific Overdrives. Top this with teachable Aeon abilities and an item customization mechanic, and I think we can agree the game is throwing everything and the kitchen sink. Personally, I think teaching the Aeons magic spells is a waste of time. When I summon an Aeon, I'm looking to use its special attack. I have NEVER used Black Magic spells after summoning an Aeon. If I am out of line, send me an e-mail to idontgiveashit@comcast.net.

Part 53: What A Beautiful Goddamn Game!

Final Fantasy X's fantastic art design is hard to deny. The game's attempts to push the limits of the PlayStation 2 result in awe-inspiring locals. The Moonflow is one such example. I can't help but feel it was designed to please your senses. Its vibrancy drew me into the world of Spira. Furthermore, the character dynamic between Wakka, Lulu, and Tidus works splendidly.

[Author's Note:In the original version of this blog I had a paragraph discussing an issue I previously disliked about the voice acting. The section took issue with the myriad of pauses between Tidus's lines of dialogue and the remaining cast members. The paragraph rather ironically cited a scene where Tidus exclaims "Then, once we beat Sin, we're coming back!" Here's the scene I am talking about (I'll even include the original captions):

What to ruin a perfectly good scene!
    What to ruin a perfectly good scene!
    SEE! Everyone is tired of your shit Tidus!
    SEE! Everyone is tired of your shit Tidus!

I now know why this is the case. In hindsight, THESE MOMENTS ARE FUCKING AMAZING! These uncomfortable pauses are one of the best examples of foreshadowing in a Final Fantasy game. No really, the payoff for these odd moments of silence is FUCKING GREAT! Whoever had the withal to include these scenes deserves credit.]

Watching the "moon lilies" continues the game's tradition of building a distinct sense of "place," while reinforcing the original frame of the story. The Moonflow reintroduces the concept of the "pyreflies." When people or monsters die, they convert into wisps of colorful energy. The pyreflies establish death as a "constant" in Spira. When monsters are defeated, they turn into pyreflies. We see large clouds of pyreflies at the Moonflow, and the implications of this are made apparent to the audience.

Final Fantasy X's striking visuals continue as we encounter the "Shoopuf." The lumbering behemoth introduces an intriguing dynamic between Tidus and Wakka. Initially, Wakka acts like a tour guide attempting to impress Tidus. He excitedly directs him to the Shoopuf, and lectures about our surroundings. Eventually, Wakka shows his true colors when he transitions to proselytizing the virtues of Yevon. Wakka's zealotry blinds him from the reality of his circumstances. While the Shoopuf wades across the ruins of an ancient city, Wakka surmises it is a parable of man's folly against nature. Alternatively, Tidus poignantly cites the benefits of technology concerning commerce and trade.

When did Wakka become Werner Herzog?
    When did Wakka become Werner Herzog?
    And what about the Machina used in the Blitzball Stadium?
    And what about the Machina used in the Blitzball Stadium?

My favorite moment is when Tidus asks for Yevon's stance regarding Machina. The Yevonnites are caught with their pants down. All they can muster is Yuna reading from the "script" Yevon taught her. It is a nakedly transparent attempt to convey Yevon as a corrupting force, but it works. Since our time at Luca, the game has been building upon a solid foundation that Yevon is hypocritical. The reinforcement of this plot point is one of the few things Final Fantasy X consistently does right.

Tidus asking the
    Tidus asking the "real" questions in life.
    I love how this is the second time Yuna has used this EXACT quote to defend the practices of Yevon.
    I love how this is the second time Yuna has used this EXACT quote to defend the practices of Yevon.

Full disclosure, I hate everything the game attempts with Seymour. His story arc is a boorish distraction. The hypocrisy of Yevon is far more compelling than Seymour's marriage to Yuna. There's a sense of an impending culture clash between the different elements of our party. Tidus and Auron want to get shit done; Yuna, Lulu, and Wakka want to respect their religious teachings. This plot point evaporates for the sake of establishing Seymour as the secondary antagonist. Worse yet, the story wastes a handful of interesting dynamics. Wakka and Lulu see the odious activities of their church and relinquish their faith without an ounce of turmoil. They're done with their faith when it is no longer convenient to the story. WHAT A PISSER!

Part 54: RIKKU DESERVES BETTER!

Yuna's Guardians are capable at their job when the story wants them to. Likewise, they are incompetent when the story needs a kidnapping scene. This scene is the second Yuna snatching in the game, and there are plenty more to be had. I despise each of these scenes. Yuna holds her own outside of these abductions, but the moment she is touched by an Al Bhed she turns into gelatin. I mean honestly... why the fuck isn't Yuna summoning an Aeon to blast away her kidnappers? Isn't the whole point to her gaining new Aeons so she can defend herself?

Why is any of this happening?
    Why is any of this happening?

I'm sorry, but I can't stop complaining about this scene. A random goon swims up to the Shoopuf and puts Yuna in a sleeper hold. In a matter of seconds, the kidnapper ferries Yuna to an underwater force field attached to a robot. Why didn't Yuna bite this asshole on the arm? Then the giant robot fights Tidus and Wakka. WHY?! Haven't the Al Bhed accomplished their mission? Why isn't the pilot of the robot hightailing it out here?

This battle segues to our introduction of Rikku. Conceptually Rikku is the most captivating party member. Being an Al Bhed, she has a novel perspective on the events of our journey. Equally intriguing is how she and Tidus have complimentary objectives. Like Tidus, Rikku isn't held back by a need to respect the customs of Yevon. All things considered, Rikku is fascinating. The story is BEGGING for a solid introduction to Rikku.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!
    Someone at Square needs to be punched in the face.
    Someone at Square needs to be punched in the face.

Rikku is fifteen-years-old. Let me repeat this one more time. SHE'S FIFTEEN-MOTHERFUCKING-YEARS-OLD! The game wants you to view Rikku as an upbeat badass, but here she is being used to provide fanservice. I enjoy how Rikku never hesitates to speak her mind and is resolute about her point of view. However, when the game sees an opportunity to provide fanservice, it takes it.

I hate the several unresolved plot elements from Rikku's introduction. There's a bizarre moment where Rikku has a private conversation with Lulu and Yuna before becoming a Guardian. What is the game implying? Do Lulu and Yuna already know Rikku is Yuna's cousin? Why is Lulu in the loop? How much does Yuna know about her Al Bhed parentage? Maybe it was just "girl talk" as Rikku said, but we are never made aware of what the trio discussed.

Rikku knows you can't beat 100 percent.
    Rikku knows you can't beat 100 percent.

I think Final Fantasy X is fucking with me. Canonically the Al Bhed have swirled irises, and the Yevonnites have regular irises. I don't understand why this is a thing. Is the game implying the Al Bhed are a different species? Does this mean their break with the Yevonnites is taxonomic? If the Al Bhed have a clear physical hallmark why doesn't Wakka recognize Rikku as an Al Bhed? Look, I get what the game is implying about Wakka's prejudice. His hatred is blind and a by-product of his religious zeal. I just wish the set-up to his prejudice wasn't an artificial ploy.

Part 55: On The Road Again

Rikku provides the last trio of tutorials. The first of these is a crash course on the "Steal" ability. Every game before Final Fantasy X has featured stealing. The necessity of a level focusing on its importance is questionable. Despite this, the game employs immersion shattering treasure chests to teach its significance.

Give me a fucking break!
    Give me a fucking break!

These treasure chests are the most unnecessary mechanic in Final Fantasy X. Outside of this road; there's one other level which features them in combat. Regardless, the treasure chests are indisputably contrived. The items in the chests are trash, and their presence elongates battles. Using a character's turn to open a chest containing a "Remedy" is a waste of a turn. Then there's the issue of "immersion." Adding the treasure chests to random battles is a discordant turn of events. Who is leaving behind an infinite supply of treasure chests containing healing items? These are the questions which keep me up at night.

At least there's Mix!
    At least there's Mix!

"Mix" is comically broken. It's the most powerful Overdrive in the game, and if exploited correctly, eliminates bosses post-haste. I have no problems with this. Lest we forget, there are other ways to "break" Final Fantasy X. In the context of abilities like "Bribe," "Copycat," "Holy," and "Quick Hit"; Mix makes sense. For fuck's sake, you can gain an Aeon who instantly kills anything in combat if you pay it enough Gil. Eliminating difficulty is Final Fantasy X's modus operandi.

There's another "benefit" to Final Fantasy X's broken nature. I think Final Fantasy X's "breakability" increases player investment in its mechanics. These game breaking strategies incentivize you to explore the Sphere Grid. Once you wrap your mind around the Sphere Grid, you realize how liberating it is. Every party member can bring bosses to their knees. I cannot deny how empowering that is. Now if only upgrading your Overdrives wasn't complete horseshit.

Mix is baller!
    Mix is baller!

The last tutorial involves the equipment customization system. I want to like this system, but it is so irrelevant I cannot be bothered. My issue does not stem from non-existent guidance on how to create the best possible equipment. Free form item refining mechanics are a mainstay in role-playing games, and I would be a moron to decry Final Fantasy X for having one. My issues are twofold: 1.)the user interface is cumbersome, and 2.)the need to refine items is dubious. Let's address the latter of these complaints. Maybe you want to have a particular "-ward" or "-proof" ability on your defensive equipment. If this isn't possible, there are spells and items which have you covered. Going this route is less time-consuming and more user-friendly. As a result, the item refining system fell by the wayside during my playthrough.

Part 56: I Enjoy Everything In Guadosalam... Except For Seymour

God do I love the art design of Guadosalam. The moment you set foot in Guadosalam you understand the Guado are distinct from the rest of Spira. Their plant-like architecture is unlike anything you have seen before. The art design also establishes a sinister undertone to the Guado. Guadosalam's ornate buildings look like something H.R. Giger would have conjured. Every time you enter Guadosalam, you know something dreadful is bound to happen.

A nasty world filled with nasty people.
    A nasty world filled with nasty people.

There are two scenes between Lulu and Tidus I want to discuss. The first involves Lulu explaining the lack of a temple at Guadosalam. As Lulu prepares for her usual encyclopedic spiel, Tidus points out he didn't ask Lulu about it. It is fun to see two characters pick up on the development of their relationship. Both are trying to gauge the other, and as time progresses they develop a better understanding of one another. More importantly, Tidus acts as a keystone to lowering Lulu's guard.

The resonance of Lulu's stark stoicism is phenomenal. It adds a matriarchal subtext to her character. Lulu wishes for Yuna to experience that which she missed out on, love. Lulu no longer views Tidus with contempt. After observing Tidus's genuine naivety, Lulu accepts Tidus for who he is. Tidus's asides with Lulu are without a doubt my favorite part of Guadosalam. They carried me through the level's psychotropic-induced delirium.

Lulu likes to throw dark! I'd hate to read her high school poetry.
    Lulu likes to throw dark! I'd hate to read her high school poetry.

Our troupe of misfit toys moseys down to Seymour's abode. Everyone feels uneasy about Seymour, but are powerless to act. As a high priest of the Church of Yevon, Seymour wields incredible sway. On paper, Seymour's set-up is fabulous. The Guado once extolled the virtues of their racial supremacy, but no more. Seymour's father tried to cross this gap by wedding a human wife, and this marriage spawned Seymour. Between then and now the Guado adopted Yevon as their official religion, and Seymour became their de facto ruler.

If Guadosalam centered on Seymour's past, I think my opinion of it would have improved. Discovering how Seymour survived the racism of the Guado would have been a compelling character arc to explore. If there was ever a level in Final Fantasy X that needed to "keep it simple," it was Guadosalam. There's a lot to unpack regarding the Farplane. It is a simple metaphor, but one with hidden depth and significant implications to the story. Instead, things get unnecessarily KOOKY!

What were the developers on when they wrote this scene?
    What were the developers on when they wrote this scene?

Rather than build Seymour as a character, the game takes us on a field trip. And not just any field trip! Seymour guides us through a holographic projection of Zanarkand. This scene comes out of nowhere. It starts with a CG cutscene before transitioning to a sequence where we see Yunalesca.

Why does Yunalesca look like an insect?
    Why does Yunalesca look like an insect?

What was the purpose of this scene? The only answer I can muster is the developers felt it was time for a CG cutscene. I guess it is "nice" knowing Yuna's namesake, but did we need a cutscene to establish this? The game fails to justify why Seymour saw fit to play the hologram. One shitty affectation on the ills of Zanarkand's ways would have sufficed. The scene inadvertently frames Seymour as a vainglorious bastard. This episode is in direct conflict with later attempts to emphasize him as a legitimate threat.

There's one final point I'd like to address. Seymour is a terrible villain. Our battles against Seymour follow the same rigmarole. Seymour bellows a shitty affectation, and then the party curb-stomps him. This exact scenario happens four times. The story cannot be fucked to regain Seymour's "heel heat." Say what you will about Kuja, but at least Final Fantasy IX has him destroying multiple cities. Final Fantasy antagonists usually get one scene which frames their might. Remember when Sephiroth set Nibelheim on fire? Seymour does nothing like that! I guess he kills people off-screen, but that isn't as effective as seeing a giant snake impaled on a stake. Where's the murder in this game?

Oh this storyline....
    Oh this storyline....

Part 57: I Love And Hate The Farplane

There is a lot to deconstruct regarding the Farplane. To this day I don't know how I feel about the Farplane. Like the rest of the game, it is visually stunning. Watching the spirits of the dead coalesce in one location is especially profound. The affluence of pyreflies firmly frames the amount of death which has befallen Spira. I would hazard to say the pyreflies outnumber the living in Spira.

The writing is praiseworthy in how it uses the Farplane. The pyreflies react to visitors' memories by conjuring an image of a dead person close to the guest. Rikku's steadfast refusal to enter it firmly establishes her distinct perspective. Seeing Auron in pain as he approaches the Farplane succinctly hints at his unique nature. For those that enter the Farplane, the scene lowers their guard and exposes their vulnerabilities. Lulu and Wakka each get their due. Wakka's jovial interaction with his deceased brother put a face on his grief and racism. For Lulu, she's finally coming to her own. Having Lulu express emotions beyond stoicism is an appreciated change of pace.

CHAPPU LOOKS NOTHING LIKE TIDUS! SERIOUSLY, HOW DOES NO ONE NOTICE THIS!
    CHAPPU LOOKS NOTHING LIKE TIDUS! SERIOUSLY, HOW DOES NO ONE NOTICE THIS!

The interaction between Tidus and Yuna is especially heart-warming. Yuna explains after her father had defeated Sin, she was enamored by everyone's happiness. Tidus's characterization is in a different ballpark. Tidus divulges more of his deep resentment of Jecht. As Tidus discusses his relationship with his father, we witness a flashback to when Tidus was younger. We watch a selfish Jecht renegade his parental responsibilities for the sake of his gratification. Final Fantasy X does a masterful job of conveying Tidus's perspective regarding Jecht. His resentment is deeply rooted in a history of abuse and negligence. My quibble is when the story suggests a different side to Jecht. While Tidus's view is ingrained in the main story, the alternative perspective is hidden beneath an optional side quest. OH DON'T YOU WORRY, WE WILL GET TO THAT IN A BIT!

The Final Fantasy series has a tradition of the afterlife being a physical location. The most notable example is Final Fantasy VII. The Lifestream was the confusing connective tissue between Final Fantasy VII's disparate storylines. Final Fantasy X attempts something similar with the Farplane. My issue is Final Fantasy X isn't explicit on how the Farplane relates to Sin. In Final Fantasy VII, the Lifestream is the linchpin for the entire story. Every scene in the game reminds you what the Lifestream is, and why you must protect it. In Final Fantasy X, the Farplane has an amorphous relationship with the rest of the game. You are left to your own devices to connect Final Fantasy X's many dots.

What a wonderful human being!
    What a wonderful human being!

Now I need to be shitty. The Farplane is FUCKING CHEAP! The game aims for an easy target at the Farplane. The emotions expressed here are nothing new. Once again, the cast to a Final Fantasy game fight for the sake of deceased relatives or confidants. This franchise has had over twenty years to come up with something different! You already had a game where you could "play it safe." It was called "Final Fantasy IX!"

The line between paying homage and apathetic writing blur at this point. Final Fantasy X features a unique world. The story uses this world in novel ways. When Final Fantasy X hearkens to its predecessors, its references feel out of place. I include the Chocobo racing and late game story twist as part of this criticism. When Final Fantasy X revels in its own world, it is a site to see. When the game realizes it is a Final Fantasy game, things fall apart.

Part 58: FUCK THE FUCKING THUNDER PLAINS! WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS THIS SHIT ABOUT?!?!?!

Once our time in the Farplane is done, our heroes watch a horrifying scene. Jyscal Guado's spirit painfully grasps for Yuna. Auron divulges this means Jyscal met an "unclean" death. Now begins my least favorite story arc in Final Fantasy X. I am talking about Yuna's marriage to Seymour. My lovelies, I have a LOT to say about this story arc. So much so, I plan on spending half of the next blog skewering it.

But first, we go to the Thunder Plains.
    But first, we go to the Thunder Plains.

The Thunder Plain is terrible. Every step you make in the Thunder Plain is an assault. This "assault" is both mechanical and narrative. Foremost, fuck lightning dodging! While on the Thunder Plains, lightning can strike Tidus. You can reduce the risk of these lightning strikes by moving your party to one of the many towers. Should a bolt hit Tidus, the screen briefly flashes white. If you mash the action button in time, you can avoid damage. The problem is the window for accomplishing this is TIGHT.

Hey, you there. Yes, you. Let's talk for a moment. I have done a lot for you over the years. I've subjected myself to several side quests for the sake of your enjoyment. THIS IS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE! Dodging lightning is THE WORST SIDEQUEST I HAVE SEEN IN A FINAL FANTASY GAME! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? IT WASN'T FUN THE FIRST TIME! WHY WOULD I EVER DO IT TWO HUNDRED TIMES IN A ROW?

The Thunder Plains are the shits. They are the drizzly shits.
    The Thunder Plains are the shits. They are the drizzly shits.

The bullshit doesn't stop there! We discover Rikku is afraid of lightning. Every scene at the Thunder Plains depicts Rikku as a sniveling child. I have said it before and will say it again, RIKKU DESERVES BETTER THAN THIS! After canvassing Rikku as a cunning engineer, she becomes a whining brat at the Thunder Plains. Gone is her confidence. Instead, we are stuck listening to Rikku moan about thunder and lightning. The game CONTINUES not to know what it wants out of its female cast members! But hey, at least this scene between Tidus and Wakka is hilarious.

I promise to never use the term
    I promise to never use the term "hold your Chocobos" in public.

Part 59: The Macalania Woods ALSO SUCK!

Just as we are about to exit the Thunder Plains Yuna drops a "pipe bomb." She announces her intent to marry Seymour. The suddenness of this announcement catches the cast off guard. Moments ago Yuna declared she had no intention of marrying Seymour. Tidus surmises Yuna saw something in Jeyscal's sphere to convince her to reconsider Seymour's proposal. With this growing sense of mystery, we are off to the Macalania Woods!

Choo-choo, get ready to board the "Pain Train!" Final Fantasy X ramps up its difficulty without warning. The game is less than halfway done, and we have to fight a deluge of Chimeras. Chimeras have the prowess of a mini-boss, but in the Macalania Woods, they are a casual encounter. Why is there no justice in this world? The other enemies at the Macalania Woods inflict the "Petrify" and "Slow" status. This shit is what I would call a "DOUBLE WHAMMY!"

These fucking assholes are the worst.
    These fucking assholes are the worst.

I cannot preface enough how this difficulty jump comes out of nowhere. We encountered our standard share of Final Fantasy monsters at the Thunder Plains. Fighting Chimeras is a massive leap from those battles. Their physical strike hitting for 1/4 HP is a cruel gut punch. Need I also remind Chimera can cast Megiddo Flame and Aqua Breath? This sequence occurs before you can exploit certain abilities on the Sphere Grid. Thus, you are nowhere near as powerful as the location requires.

I have dodged discussing this issue, but it's unavoidable at this point. I am STILL terrible at playing Final Fantasy games! How do I know this? I struggled to beat Spherimorph. Now I know what you are about to say. "The mechanics of this boss fight are EASY!" I can hear you typing away how Spherimorph reveals what it is weak to with its elemental attacks. My problem stems from me failing to understand Final Fantasy X's rock-paper-scissors based combat.

The game got pissed off at my sloppy play at one point.
    The game got pissed off at my sloppy play at one point.

I thought water paired with fire, and ice paired with lightning for ages. I was wrong. To my defense, I was simultaneously playing Final Fantasy VIII around this time. Each Final Fantasy game features a distinct elemental system. In some games water is weak to lightning; in other games, water is weak to fire. Final Fantasy X is no different. There's another issue I wish to address. It's shitty Lulu is the only character for half of Final Fantasy X capable of damaging elemental enemies. Until you unlock new options on the Sphere Grid, most of your party is useless when you encounter bosses like Spherimorph.

Part 60: I Continue To Feel Conflicted About Jecht

Let's move onto my last talking point for this episode. Auron chops through a thicket of shrubbery upon defeating Spherimorph. This act uncovers a sphere once belonging to Jecht. Auron hands the device to Tidus, and we watch a brief video featuring Jecht.

What. In. The. Literal. Fuck. Is. This. Shit?
    What. In. The. Literal. Fuck. Is. This. Shit?

Earlier I suggested Final Fantasy X does a bad job of depicting Jecht's character evolution. These spheres were what I was suggesting. Hidden in collectibles is Jecht's ENTIRE CHARACTER ARC! In your normal course of play, you'll witness two spheres at most. Unfortunately, the story spheres fail to paint the full picture of Jecht's redemption. If you wish to have a full understanding of Jecht, you must travel the far reaches of Spira and pick up more spheres. If avoided, when Auron says shit like this, you are left dazed and confused:

"A Tale of Two Jechts" continues

It is worth noting Auron doesn't get his full due if you fail to collect these spheres. In the spheres, Auron is a naïve warrior monk with a resolute sense of justice. It is engrossing to watch a man most Yevonites revere, act like an ordinary person. The spheres are the only context we get as to why Auron gravitates toward Tidus. The Jecht Spheres make it known Auron sees Jecht in Tidus.

If you avoid these spheres, Jecht's characterization makes little sense. Tidus's one-sided brush exclusively paints your image of Jecht. You understand Jecht's abuse but do not understand how he reformed. The design decision to hide Jecht's reformation in collectibles is a major storytelling misstep. Jecht is the most complex character in Final Fantasy X. To not understand his complexity does the story a disservice. The mystery of how and why Jecht became Sin also feels incomplete if you don't fully understand his past.

Will the real Jecht please stand up?
    Will the real Jecht please stand up?

I would even say the biography conveyed in the Jecht Spheres blows everything in the main story out of the water. That is a point for another time. As I grouse about one of Final Fantasy X's greatest blunders, I will call it a day. Next time I hope to discuss the horror of Yuna's Wedding. Spoilers:I did not like it.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Jecht and Auron are probably my favourite characters in the Final Fantasy franchise. They just get cooler and cooler the more of those spheres you collect and the more of their backstories you uncover.

But yes, FFX has problems but MAN I love that game too. Welcome to the brotherhood and I liked the write-up.

tonka_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One thing I will say about the weapon customisation mechanics, swapping weapons is one of the fastest actions you can do. With judicious stealing you can craft elemental weapons for your physical attackers and get easy peasy 1.5x damage for easy overkills and most of the time double AP and drops.

It also makes Spherimorph a pushover when you can have your 3 physical attackers hitting his weaknesses.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition to using black magic against Sphereimorph you could have had Rikku throw elemental items, use Mix or like Tonka says customise weapons so they deal elemental damage.

The battle system in X is basically set up so as long as you're using the right character against the right enemy you should be killing 90% of them in one shot. The game literally beats you on the head with elemental weaknesses as well, where Wakka or Lulu will call you a moron if you try ineffective attacks, so that one is entirely on you!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eliminating difficulty is Final Fantasy X's modus operandi.

Tell me that again when you're trying to dodge lightning 200 times in a row or win a Chocobo race to get some ultimate weapons or defeat some Dark Aeons. I love Final Fantasy X. I think it's nearly got more heart than every other Final Fantasy combined, but fuck its extra content straight to hell.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dodged all the lightnings in one of my FFX playthroughs long ago.

It was not worth it.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZombiePie  Staff

Jecht and Auron are probably my favourite characters in the Final Fantasy franchise. They just get cooler and cooler the more of those spheres you collect and the more of their backstories you uncover.

But yes, FFX has problems but MAN I love that game too. Welcome to the brotherhood and I liked the write-up.

I absoluetly agree, but it still boggles my mind that learning more about Jecht, Auron, and Braska is hidden beneath optional collectibles. The writing of the Jecht Spheres is the strongest in the entire game. I support watching each sphere as we progress the story, but leaving a majority to the player's prerogative seems like a misstep. Especially when you consider Jecht's entire redemption arc is hidden in these spheres. A solid twenty to thirty percent of the story is tucked away and you wouldn't even know it.

@tonka_92 said:

One thing I will say about the weapon customisation mechanics, swapping weapons is one of the fastest actions you can do. With judicious stealing you can craft elemental weapons for your physical attackers and get easy peasy 1.5x damage for easy overkills and most of the time double AP and drops.

It also makes Spherimorph a pushover when you can have your 3 physical attackers hitting his weaknesses.

In the scant few JRPGs I have played outside of the Final Fantasy series, mis-using status ailments and elemental attacks has been my Achille's Heel. This stems from my preferred way of playing CRPGs, and D&D, but I try to maximize my DPS over everything else. Luckily Final fantasy X is a game where you can get away from sloppy play. When in doubt, I use Mix and "Copycat" after a character has cast Holy. It's not the "best" way to play this game, but it has been getting me through the "hairy" parts of the game thus far.

Well... except for this bullshit boss battle against Seymour on Mount Gagazet.

@petiew said:

In addition to using black magic against Sphereimorph you could have had Rikku throw elemental items, use Mix or like Tonka says customise weapons so they deal elemental damage.

The battle system in X is basically set up so as long as you're using the right character against the right enemy you should be killing 90% of them in one shot. The game literally beats you on the head with elemental weaknesses as well, where Wakka or Lulu will call you a moron if you try ineffective attacks, so that one is entirely on you!

Thank you so much for the advice! One thing to note, I recall mentioning this on the Final Fantasy VII blog series, but I play a vast majority of my video games mute, and with a podcast playing in the background. This is still the case for Final Fantasy X. As such, I suspect I have been missing audio cues in the game about my poor performance. Either way, @thatpinguino can testify that my lack of quality video game playing is a recurring joke. on this series.

Eliminating difficulty is Final Fantasy X's modus operandi.

Tell me that again when you're trying to dodge lightning 200 times in a row or win a Chocobo race to get some ultimate weapons or defeat some Dark Aeons. I love Final Fantasy X. I think it's nearly got more heart than every other Final Fantasy combined, but fuck its extra content straight to hell.

I would like to formally retract the above quote. Speaking of the Chocobo racing... I got to three treasure chests. Luckily that is enough to "break" Rikku's Mix ability.

By the way, I just got to the Seymour battle on Mount Gagazet! What in the literal fuck am I supposed to do to win this battle? He keeps turning my party into zombies and then on his next turn casts life on my zombified party members, thus killing them instantly. This is the rawest shit I have ever seen in a Final Fantasy boss fight.

@zeik said:

I dodged all the lightnings in one of my FFX playthroughs long ago.

It was not worth it.

I don't understand why so much of this game is hidden beneath the worst side quests and minigames in human existence. The Chocobo racing and lightning dodging are just cruel. What drives me berserk is how they are both purposefully design to control like garbage. Then to make matters worse, the designers add-in a soul-crushing amount of repetition. What is gained by doing this? I get each game usually has its fair share of hidden content, but Final Fantasy X takes it to an extreme I have never seen. I would have understood if it was one item or questline, but every ultimate weapon in the game? That's beyond fucked.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Whenever you think about the ice fire - water - lightning conundrum, just imagine dropping a hairdryer in a bathtub.

I also managed to dodge lightning once. It's the worst part of FFX. I'm glad i have squeezed 100% out of this game, but it was not worth the time investment.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Well, not ALL of them are that bad. As I recall, Kimahri's weapon is very easy to get, and either Auron's or Riku's isn't that bad either. Lulu's, Tidus' and Waka's weapons are definitely only obtainable by crazy people, like me.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks that you're playing without the game audio since X actually has a lot of unique (unsubtitled) battle lines based on what characters you have in your active party and where you are in the story.

For the Seymour fight you can buy Zombie proof armour from O'aka on Mt Gagazet or take the plunge and do some customising yourself.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zombiepie: The game has a merchant on the mountain with zombie proof accessories if I remember right. Or you can use the item customization to slot in zombie immunity on your gear. It's an investment well worth it, zombie is the most deadly status in the game from what I remember.

Anduran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found that to grind overdrives for Aeons + Yuna is a good way to defeat some bosses, if a bit tedious. Go through the Aeons and blast their overdrives one by one and fight with them until dead, the exception being Bahamut who you'll dismiss right after using his overdrive and resummon with Yunas overdrive to get another blast.

This brings me to one part of FFX that I really like, but that I don't think gets appreciated enough; you get fully healed at savepoints. And this makes grinding much easier.

In previous FFs (particularly in the SNES era) I always felt some trepidation in long late game dungeons. Did I have enough healing items? Ethers? Tents? Or were I going to get stuck on the last save point to the boss without enough stuff to get further? And not all of those games made it easy to exit a dungeon and get more supplies (I think exit magic only existed in FF4 but i might be wrong).

There is no need to worry about this in FFX. You stuck on a boss? Grind around the save point for as long as you need with no concern for healing items or money.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZombiePie  Staff

@anduran: I use Aeons when in a pinch... except when the game decides to have multiple bosses who can oneshot Aeons. That is a dick move on the part of the design. I did not know about Bahamut until you mentioned it on this reply. I guess that answers a question. Your point about savepoints is correct. I will also take when you level up, the game restores your HP/MP. That's not AS helpful as restoring your HP/MP at savepoint, but it is something I think all RPGs should do. Something that happened in FFVII on two occasions was when I got stuck at a boss and had to backtrack to buy a ton of HP or MP restoring items. The dugeons in that game are already a pain, and having to navigate them more than once is simply painful.

@petiew said:

It sucks that you're playing without the game audio since X actually has a lot of unique (unsubtitled) battle lines based on what characters you have in your active party and where you are in the story.

For the Seymour fight you can buy Zombie proof armour from O'aka on Mt Gagazet or take the plunge and do some customising yourself.

I went ahead and stopped doing this around episode two. Most of the quips are terrible, but Rikku recently said one that had me in tears. We were fighting a Dark Flan and at the onset of the battle she quipped "Do you think we can eat this thing?" That's what I would call quality writing.

Thank you so much for the advice about the armor. I made my own for that specific boss battle.

Whenever you think about the ice fire - water - lightning conundrum, just imagine dropping a hairdryer in a bathtub.

I also managed to dodge lightning once. It's the worst part of FFX. I'm glad i have squeezed 100% out of this game, but it was not worth the time investment.

BUT EVERY GAME IS DIFFERENT! Sometimes Holy and Dark/Death magic are paired together. Sometimes Earth is paired with Wind. Sometimes Earth is the "neutral" elemental that has no affinities. Sometimes Life/White magic is its own category. Sometimes Robots are weak to Lightning, even if that does not make a lick of sense! My point is, every game requires you to re-learn the rules you have become accoustomed to, and as someone who was playing a massive amount of Final Fantasy VIII in the middle of this playthrough, this was way harder than it had any right to be.

@mezza said:

@zombiepie: The game has a merchant on the mountain with zombie proof accessories if I remember right. Or you can use the item customization to slot in zombie immunity on your gear. It's an investment well worth it, zombie is the most deadly status in the game from what I remember.

Man... this game really hits you hard around the part I played this weekend. Now I'm stuck on the godforsaken Yunalesca boss battle. Putting two incredibly longwinded cutscenes before this battle sure is "great." I think I have watched them all the way through four or five times.

SHE HAS AN OPENING ATTACK ON HER THIRD FORM THAT AUTOMATICALLY KILLS ANYONE WHO ISN'T A ZOMBIE! THAT'S BULLSHIT! And is it REALLY necessary to have two boss battles in a row in the Zanarkand temple?

okay but what about the lake scene

@thatpinguino made reference to there being more than one J-pop song in Final Fantasy X. Please tell me he's wrong.

Also, where the fuck does that scene even happen? They are flying through space, but their romantic journey starts in the middle of a lake! And were they flying, or just pushed by the natural currents of a river? WHAT HAPPENED!

@dudeglove: that's post wedding.

This "scene" is most likely where the next blog will end. I know I "edited" this blog to remove a paragraph about the awkward pauses during cutscenes, but for the next blog, I'm not going to edit a thing. In the next episode, I spend a ton of time skewering the wedding scene as the dumbest part of the game. I believe this "tunnel vision" adds to the humor. That said...

I literally just got to the "plot twist" about Tidus. WHAT. IN. THE. LITERAL. FUCK. IS. THAT. SHIT. ABOUT?!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Ouch yeah that fight you are on is pretty tough. Possibly the toughest required boss in the game? I don't remember anyone else giving me as much trouble after that. The game definitely ramps up in difficulty after the mountain though.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I believe I have made my disdain for FFX known in prior posts, but one of the major problems I have with it is how it tells its story. It has a ton of interesting directions it could go in, but the ones it shoves down the players' throats are the least interesting of those.

As you pointed out with the Jecht spheres, it takes the most interesting story threads, and then insists on hiding them in optional content or behind a ton of grinding. You either miss them entirely, or get so little of them that, like Jecht, they have no impact unless you go out of your way to look for it. In contrast, I always found the main path story the most boring, overwrought, horridly melodramatic, teen fan-fic level shlock ever committed to a page.

As to Seymour Flux, get anti-zombie stuff to protect yourself, and then hit him with poison. Amazingly, a ton of bosses in FFX aren't immune to a lot of status effects. If you hit him with poison, he'll kill himself after a few turns. You can just focus on healing yourself at that point.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZombiePie  Staff

@mezza said:

@zombiepie: Ouch yeah that fight you are on is pretty tough. Possibly the toughest required boss in the game? I don't remember anyone else giving me as much trouble after that. The game definitely ramps up in difficulty after the mountain though.

IT'S FUCKED! Now I'm stuck on the Yunalesca battle because I have to keep half my party zombified because her third form starts with an attack that instantly kills anyone who isn't afflicted with Zombie! Why would you do that?! The second form uses a modified A.I. script from the second Seymour battle. After she afflicts members of your party with Zombie, she kills them by using restorative magic. BUT if you try to cure every member of your party of Zombie, she's going to wipe you out on the third form. I have tried using positive buffs to help me out, but every boss in the last dregs of the game has a counter-measure for this. Yunalesca will use a move called Punch which will remove all positive status effects with the exception of Reflect, which makes Reflect an incredibly powerful tool during this fight.

Oh and yeah, that Mount Gagazet boss fight fucked me over the first time too, so I went back down hill onto the plains, spent way too much time with the monster arena, then came back up there and kicked that boss' ass. I probably also consulted a guide on how to get through it, because that whole area was a mess. I have a pet theory of sorts that whoever worked on FF 7-10 did not like caves or mountains and went out of their way to make them look garbage and not fun to navigate.

I would probably argue the second Seymour battle features one of the "smartest" boss A.I. I have ever seen. Seymour uses buffs properly, dispels your buffs, instantly kills Aeons, and takes advantage of status effects in combat. Watching him kill characters after casting Full-Life was hilarious the first time. I have to give credit where credit is due, that's a smart strategy. But Total Annihilation is CHEAP SHIT! Final Fantasy bosses having attacks which can wipe your party clean regardless of your level has been the bane of my existence since I started this series.

@lawgamer said:

I believe I have made my disdain for FFX known in prior posts, but one of the major problems I have with it is how it tells its story. It has a ton of interesting directions it could go in, but the ones it shoves down the players' throats are the least interesting of those.

As you pointed out with the Jecht spheres, it takes the most interesting story threads, and then insists on hiding them in optional content or behind a ton of grinding. You either miss them entirely, or get so little of them that, like Jecht, they have no impact unless you go out of your way to look for it. In contrast, I always found the main path story the most boring, overwrought, horridly melodramatic, teen fan-fic level shlock ever committed to a page.

As to Seymour Flux, get anti-zombie stuff to protect yourself, and then hit him with poison. Amazingly, a ton of bosses in FFX aren't immune to a lot of status effects. If you hit him with poison, he'll kill himself after a few turns. You can just focus on healing yourself at that point.

To add insult to injury, some of those Jecht spheres are practically impossible to get when you have the ability to revisit locations in the world. And I think we have shared our disagreements before. Besides the cheesier moments, Yuna and Tidus's relationship works well enough. When it is in service of grounded character moments I think it works. When it tries to shoot for the stars, and I mean that figuratively and literally, it falls flat on its face.

There's no denying the story tries too hard to impress. Tidus confronting his father should have been the main story, and assisting Yuna on her pilgrimage should have been an ulterior motive. Maybe you could flip those two, but they both could reasonably exist side by side. The twist on Tidus's origin, Yu Yevon, Bevelle vs. Zanarkand, and whatever the fuck is the deal with the fayth; muddy the waters to what I consider to be an emotionally honest and transparent story worth telling.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZombiePie  Staff

@selfconfessedcynic: @tonka_92: @sinusoidal: @onemanarmyy: @zeik: @petiew: @anduran: @blackichigo: @mezza: @dudeglove: @lawgamer:

@geraltitude@hassun@silver-streak@dhutch@fezrock@tobbrobb@wchigo@dystopiax@naoiko@dixavd@crommi

Oh, CRAP! I just realized why I have been having such a hard time on the last handful of boss fights.

I NEVER FILLED IN THE EMPTY POINTS ON THE SPHERE GRID! I even forgot to use the white teleportation spheres. I am near the end of the game, and I have these butt-ass characters who can be easily one-shot by everything in the game. I already used the levels I normally had, but what in the world do I do? I have plenty of purple spheres if you wanted to know. Would teleporting to parts of the sphere grid be enough? Should I attempt to backtrack and grind? What are the endgame abilities I should definitely have? Why do I continue to be terrible at video games?

I think I may have ruined this playthrough because I am honestly at the end. I cannot for the life of me beat Jecht. If he swings his sword on his second form twice in a row, it results in an instant game over.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Naoiko

I honestly don't know dude. Never encountered that problem before. Maybe it's fixable?

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, that's rough. I am pretty sure you can backtrack at any point until that fight starts, so you could probably go back and grind a bit. Since you can move 4 spaces at a time when backtracking, most of the characters you probably don't need to teleport; so long as there's some empty spaces not too far from them.

Some advice:

Get Rikku some health and defense stat boosts for survivability, and make sure you have the ingredients and recipes (all available in many places online) for some of the good mixes.

Get Tidus (or Wakka if you want to teleport and use him more) Hastega.

Get Yuna Holy, then teleport her over to somewhere in Lulu's area to further boost her magic stats.

And that's probably all you need really to finish the game.

If you really want to make things easy, grind out Yuna's ultimate weapon (along with the crest and sigil). It makes all her spells cost one-MP and allows her to break the 9999 damage limit. But that's probably not necessary, so long as you have enough MP-restoring items so that she can constantly be casting Holy.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt you can truly fuck yourself completely in FFX. If necessary you could consult a sphere grid guide or a build guide and grind it out. Hell, there are challenge runs for FFX that forbid the use of the sphere grid and/or spheres.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeik

@zombiepie: It's been so long since I played FFX that I can't really help going down specific paths, but I do have a distinct memory of the last few bosses being kinda stupid easy, sooo...get gud scrub?

It sounds like you really just need stats, so I don't think you can really mess up at this point. Just teleport somewhere with some high stat spheres relevant to their role so you can survive these fights and you'll probably be fine. From my vague memory I remember mostly relying on each character's natural sphere grid through the end game. Any abilities beyond that are just a bonus.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Are you sure there isn't some bullshit trick to the end of that game? Like the old classic Phoenix Down on a zombie thing? In my memory the end of FFX is pretty easy. Mount Gagazet was where I got fucked. Fucked to the moon and back! I definitely did some grinding around there. Maybe I overcompensated so hard there that I blew past the boss at the end? If you have cash on hand maybe some group healing items will help? I'll leave the real tips here to the mechanical experts I guess.

I didn't have a chance to post on your last blog actually. Wanted to say I'm pretty damn happy / surprised at what happened here. Once you fall in love with a Final Fantasy, I think it makes falling for the others much easier. It's funny, because, in your approach, there was really never any reason to think you might enjoy a FF. The entire conceit was basically built around the Endurance Run concept, which, lest we forget, is about endurance. It's not called the "Passion Run". With all that said, I have to wonder what you'll feel about FF games going forward, and if this experience with X has changed things in general for you (Or: are Final Fantasy fans fans by nature of having evolved *patience* for the series?). That said, maybe the ending of FFX crushed your soul, who knows. Curious what you think about the whole thing. As you ponder it in your mind, consider that all of FFX is actually based on Les Miserable's "I Dreamed A Dream"...

There was a time when men were kind
    When their voices were soft
    And their words inviting
    There was a time when love was blind
    And the world was a song
    And the song was exciting
    There was a time
    Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
    When hope was high
    And life worth living
    I dreamed that love would never die
    I dreamed that God would be forgiving
    Then I was young and unafraid
    And dreams were made and used and wasted
    There was no ransom to be paid
    No song unsung
    No wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
    With their voices soft as thunder
    As they tear your hopes apart
    As they turn your dreams to shame

He slept a summer by my side
    He filled my days with endless wonder
    He took my childhood in his stride
    But he was gone when autumn came

And I still dream he'll come to me
    That we will live the years together
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are storms we cannot weather!

I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now, from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember if you can leave, but I know I got as many Aeon overdrives ready as I could and pretty much unloaded every overdrive I had. Plus, Zombie Attack for Auron/Khimari with spamming Mega Potions (and the healy points) at him do some REAL damage.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Are you sure there isn't some bullshit trick to the end of that game? Like the old classic Phoenix Down on a zombie thing? In my memory the end of FFX is pretty easy. Mount Gagazet was where I got fucked. Fucked to the moon and back! I definitely did some grinding around there. Maybe I overcompensated so hard there that I blew past the boss at the end? If you have cash on hand maybe some group healing items will help? I'll leave the real tips here to the mechanical experts I guess.

I didn't have a chance to post on your last blog actually. Wanted to say I'm pretty damn happy / surprised at what happened here. Once you fall in love with a Final Fantasy, I think it makes falling for the others much easier. It's funny, because, in your approach, there was really never any reason to think you might enjoy a FF. The entire conceit was basically built around the Endurance Run concept, which, lest we forget, is about endurance. It's not called the "Passion Run". With all that said, I have to wonder what you'll feel about FF games going forward, and if this experience with X has changed things in general for you (Or: are Final Fantasy fans fans by nature of having evolved *patience* for the series?). That said, maybe the ending of FFX crushed your soul, who knows. Curious what you think about the whole thing. As you ponder it in your mind, consider that all of FFX is actually based on Les Miserable's "I Dreamed A Dream"...

There was a time when men were kind
    When their voices were soft
    And their words inviting
    There was a time when love was blind
    And the world was a song
    And the song was exciting
    There was a time
    Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
    When hope was high
    And life worth living
    I dreamed that love would never die
    I dreamed that God would be forgiving
    Then I was young and unafraid
    And dreams were made and used and wasted
    There was no ransom to be paid
    No song unsung
    No wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
    With their voices soft as thunder
    As they tear your hopes apart
    As they turn your dreams to shame

He slept a summer by my side
    He filled my days with endless wonder
    He took my childhood in his stride
    But he was gone when autumn came

And I still dream he'll come to me
    That we will live the years together
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are storms we cannot weather!

I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now, from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

All I can think about when I hear about Les Mis is the Key and Peele sketch:

Loading Video...

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sorry that I'm likely not going to be of much help with the end game. It's been at least a decade or more since I've played through that part of the game and I distinctly remember going through and powering up all the ultimate weapons, including doing the Chocobo Race twice (once for my cousin and once for me after I got my PS2) and doing the Lightning dodge, which ended with me getting over 190 dodges the first time but failing to reach 200...

I also remember there was an area I went to where enemies gave a ton of AP so I basically maxed out each character on the Sphere Grid, which you can imagine made a lot of subsequent battles fairly trivial...

Due to your blog I recently did pick up my Vita and load up my save of the FFX remaster, only to find that I had made it to the Macalania Woods (I forgot how far that was into the game until I read your blog just now) and I am completely lost. Looks like I'll be living vicariously through your play through to get my fill of FFX. :D

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@zombiepie said:

@selfconfessedcynic: @tonka_92: @sinusoidal: @onemanarmyy: @zeik: @petiew: @anduran: @blackichigo: @mezza: @dudeglove: @lawgamer:

@geraltitude@hassun@silver-streak@dhutch@fezrock@tobbrobb@wchigo@dystopiax@naoiko@dixavd@crommi

Oh, CRAP! I just realized why I have been having such a hard time on the last handful of boss fights.

I NEVER FILLED IN THE EMPTY POINTS ON THE SPHERE GRID! I even forgot to use the white teleportation spheres. I am near the end of the game, and I have these butt-ass characters who can be easily one-shot by everything in the game. I already used the levels I normally had, but what in the world do I do? I have plenty of purple spheres if you wanted to know. Would teleporting to parts of the sphere grid be enough? Should I attempt to backtrack and grind? What are the endgame abilities I should definitely have? Why do I continue to be terrible at video games?

I think I may have ruined this playthrough because I am honestly at the end. I cannot for the life of me beat Jecht. If he swings his sword on his second form twice in a row, it results in an instant game over.

OK. You dun fucked up. I think it's fixable though.

I have a few tips that MAY help;

1. Nope, you can't go back - once you went into a big tower where you have to collect crystals (tower of the dead), that was the point of no return.
    2. During boss fights, abuse status buffs (some items you can mix and kimahri can cast Mighty Guard (or "Mighty G") which casts protect, shell and nullall on your whole party). Some mixes also have Super Mighty G and Hyper Might G results (which cast like regen and autolife on your party too). You can be pretty much unstoppable. At a minimum cast Cheer with Tidus (strength + defence up for the whole party) - especially if you don't deal enough damage for that turn to be spent elsewhere.
    3. DON'T bother filling out the sphere grid. What you want to do is look for places in the sphere grid (generally Auron's area) with lots of HP+ and Strength+, then run all of your physical dudes through that area. That way you avoid high level lock spheres but retain all the benefits of levelling. For magic people, just look for the spots on yuna's path that have the most HP+ spheres and teleport them all there. Variety is something you need to leave behind since having new characters tread through Auron's grid will quickly make them survivable (and way more physically capable).
    4. IF you have Warp spheres, use them very wisely (see below two before deciding to use them)
    5. The best abilities in the game that lie at the END of each character's path - in case you really want to know - there's Double Cast (does what it says on the tin), Copycat (yes you can copycat people who use doublecast to keep doublecasting ultima or whatever), Quick Hit (great fast attack for physical dudes), Full Break (reduces all of an enemy's stats), Hastega (top tier), Auto-Life (prevents death... so pretty good) - and obviously the top end spells like Ultima, Holy and Flare.
    6. Everything where you are gives quite a bit of AP so you're not too bad, you can do the following to help you grind (if you do indeed need to grind)
      1. Equip any AP multiplying equipment you have (check what Riku can customise into your weapons - you may be surprised. Some of the APx2 or APx3 items are things you may have easily stumbled across - put them on some weapons and you're good to go)
      2. IF you have the Overdrive -> AP option when customising, you can use the old AP trick where you take double or triple overdrive, overdrive -> ap, and double or triple AP and put them on a weapon for each character. After you do that, set your Overdrive to Comrade (so if your allies take damage you get overdrive, thus AP). After that, if you're being one-shot, happy days - you'll get SHITLOADS of AP every time your party takes damage. Back in the day you could get 99 sphere levels per fight and easily circumnavigate the grid this way, but I think they may have capped it a tad lower now.
      3. If you can use the above trick and only have weapons with enough open slots for some of your characters, congratulations - you have your new main party.
    7. Only after doing the above (or trying to), would I use warp spheres to get the best abilities for your strongest party members.
    Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Dixavd

@zombiepie I read this blog when you posted it but I've been too busy to go through and reply to it like I wanted to. But Since you seem to be in a pickle right now with Braska's Final Aeon/Jecht, I'm going to quickly write some tips for that.

Short answer is: No, you almost certainly do not need to grind (even if you have a save before the final room). I say this because there are No Sphere Grid (NSG) runs of this game that can beat it in under 30 hours without ever using the Sphere Grid. Here's one such FAQ on how to do a NSG run with tips that might help you if you are under levelled (including specific sections on Braska's Final Aeon and the timing of turns to make sure the boss never damages you). Problem is, those strategies are calculated based on character's starting stats so since you have been levelling up, it won't work exactly (it will be easier to do but you won't be able to just copy the exact turns).

Here are some tips of my own:

• Jecht has two forms with 60,000 and 120,000 HP each (see his stats for both here, including strategy tips aimed at people playing normally until the end of the game).
    • Tidus can use the Talk command Twice in the fight to stop the Boss using his next turn (most useful at start when setting up, or in the second form when damage is high)
    • If possible, You want to have every character (including Aeons) will full overdrive gauges when entering the fight.
    • First Strike is the most useful weapon ability when under-levelled as it gives you a guaranteed extra turn on that character before the boss (which can be vital for setting up). Auron's Celestial Weapon, Masamune, has it when fully upgraded. Otherwise, it can be customized onto a weapon with 1 Return Sphere (Don't have enough?... Could I interest you in some Blitzball haha)
    • Your White Magic Spheres would be great for teaching other characters Hastega (you need to be able to cast haste on everyone without using Rikku's Mix) or Holy (arguably the best magic attack on a single target) or... Auto-Life (seriously, if you have it or can get it - it will make the fight sooooo much easier - having it on multiple characters is amazing).
    • Here are some useful buffs: Haste (need to get this as early as possible using Hastega or Chocobo Wings). Rikku's Mix for Trio of 9999 (This is the key to winning any fight when under-levelled). Stamina Tablets can be used to double a character's HP (useful on someone like Auron who may be able to then take two hits - he also has Sentinel on his Sphere Grid that allows him to guard other's from physical attacks while also being in the defensive stance with lowers damage).
    • Tidus should be using Blitz Ace (if you got it) or Slice and Dice with Trio of 9999 for most number of hits. Lulu's Fury is also a good overdrive for hits if you didn't get Wakka's overdrives through Blitzball (remember, lower power spells are easy to get hits in Fury - and Trio of 9999 means each will be 9999 regardless). Using Elemental Gems with Rikku can give you 4-6 hits of 9999 on her turns after using Trio of 9999.
    • Overall then I recommend a main party of: Tidus (Talk, Hastega, Slice and Dice/Blitz Ace), Rikku (Mix Trio of 9999, Elemental Gems), Lulu (Fury for many 9999 hits, high evasion), Auron (Fire Strike on Masamune turn 1, and can switch in to block hits especially if HP doubled), Yuna (Summons and Holy, Auto-Life if you have them). Bold = party when using Trio of 9999.
    • You could always just kill the first form normally and then use Yojimbo, (give him all your gil) and hope he uses Zanmato for you.

Hope this helps. Don't get disheartened. The number of tricks in FFX means you can beat it at basically any level. <3

While technically there are more fights afterwards, you can't lose them, so if you kill Jecht once, you should be able to figure out the fights afterwards (though there are a bunch of ways to cheese the other fights if you don't have the damage out-put normally). Edit - missed a spoiler.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZombiePie  Staff

@fezrock: @naoiko: @hassun: @crommi: @zeik: @geraltitude: @madman356647: @dudeglove: @lawgamer: @wchigo: @selfconfessedcynic: @dixavd:

Thank you so much for your help everyone. As some of you may be aware of, I found a way to beat the game. I did indeed use many of the exploits and techniques you advised me to use. As such, I'm going to make it up to you.

As proposed by @thatpinguino, I am planning on streaming my first reaction to the opening cutscene from Final Fantasy X-2 on Twitch. After a brief conversation with Gino and other users on Steam, I discovered I was incorrect about what I thought was the opening cutscene in X-2. When Gino realized this, he advised I make my "blind" reaction to the event public to the community in some manner. I'll keep you all updated on the date and time, but this sounds like something I plan on doing shortly.

Also, I got my first "fan kickback" as a result of this blog series, and I just can't even....

What hath God wrought?
    What hath God wrought?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Dixavd

@zombiepie: This is how I imagined you opened that steam gift notification:

Loading Video...

Edit - I just want to point out to anyone reading this, that I didn't send that gift. Whoever did though, they deserve some props.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

hahaha, no idea who is responsible for that, but clearly, a hero is amongst us.

Looking forward to that stream, zombie.

@dudeglove yeah, in a medium chock full of "honourable badasses" (do we have that concept page?) he is a singular achievement.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hassun

I never actually found Auron to be that cool. I guess he's a bit too stereotypical/derivative/tryhard for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zeik

@hassun said:

I never actually found Auron to be that cool. I guess he's a bit too stereotypical/tryhard for me.

Maybe if you only view him on a surface level he might just seem like a stereotypical stoic coolguy samurai. But they develop him over the course of the game, between his past and his somewhat paternal intereactions with the cast, to be a lot more than that.

The stereotypical tryhard parallel to Auron is someone like Vincent in FF7, who's primary role is to just stand around trying to be cool and brooding. Auron has a lot more going on with him than that.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I don't think Vincent qualifies as a cool badass type. People have a very different image of him due to his looks and the crap released post FFVII. The Vincent in FFVII is kind of a grand dramatic actor dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.