Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

How much of FF14 ARR's story is replicated from original?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

As the topic says, I was wondering how much of the story in the original FF14 was replaced for ARR? I enjoyed what little of the original FF14's story I got to play, technical issues prevented me from going further, and was thinking to watch those storylines through youtube. Though I am unsure if those quests are mostly just replicated in A Realm Reborn or will every city/guild/class quest be unique to A Realm Reborn?

Hopefully someone who has played more of the ARR Beta, which I stopped playing to wait for launch, so I can go enjoy the original story first.

TallonKarrde23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TallonKarrde23

1.0 is canon, it happened in the history of ARR, so nothing is 'replicated' in terms of story because the first release happened within the lore.

If you're interested in the full story then yeah, you should watch 1.0's story through youtube and the various sites dedicated to explaining the full story up to ARR for people in this situation. They do mention it and talk about it some in ARR, but if you want to really have a full grasp of what's going on and some of the things they talk about it'd be for the best.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've gathered, A Realm Reborn is basically a sequel to the original. The original ended with a huge battle and fairly cataclysmic event and A Realm Reborn picks up a little while after that and continues the story.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Pazy

1.0 is canon, it happened in the history of ARR, so nothing is 'replicated' in terms of story because the first release happened within the lore.

If you're interested in the full story then yeah, you should watch 1.0's story through youtube and the various sites dedicated to explaining the full story up to ARR for people in this situation. They do mention it and talk about it some in ARR, but if you want to really have a full grasp of what's going on and some of the things they talk about it'd be for the best.

Sweet, thanks. I was worried that at least for Class Quests they would have just brought it over. I remember loving what little I saw of the Paladin quests years ago and Im eager to see those stories though. Hopefully people have done a good job of making videos out of them.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just played in Phase 4 of the beta and had the Quest on LVL15 where I had to go from Ul'dah (starting Location/Gladiator) to Limsa Lominsa (via Airship) and I have a question:

What the hell is up with the guys who have some sort of Spaceship thing? Why do they look all sci-fi?

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turkalurch

Having played through the beginner Gridania and Limsa Limonsa areas in both versions(1.0 and ARR) while reading all the quest text and stuffs, I can say the questlines and even areas are new and different. Also the nods to old characters and events are pretty cool if you remember them. You definitely don't have that feeling of playing the same game over again.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The player characters of 1.0 and the player characters of ARR share some common themes, of which I shall not spoil - but in terms of plot, 1.0 happens before ARR begins.

A recurring theme is global amnesia in regards to the 1.0 characters, who are often referred to as "Light Warriors".

At around Level 15 in the main quest, you will reach a large chunk of plot cutscenes that explain the conclusion of 1.0, and set the stage for ARR's storyline. This also marks the end of the three introduction story arcs, they all meet and follow the same path from here on in.

As of now, there is no way to see the 1.0 story in-game, except for these cutscenes covering it's conclusion.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: That's the Garlean Empire, they have Magitek technology that they use to build weapons and stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.