Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Positive changes since beta

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bunnypot

I started to realize that since beta the client runs better, I just thought I'd put up the details in case it covers someone who was on the fence. 

• Hardware cursor means a more responsive menu system 
    • useful text is now put into your chat window when you die telling you that releasing is something you can actually do. 
    • All content has been filled out properly (no more durability status effects in japanese)

I didn't get long to play but these are some things I've noticed. I'm curious if they have given food consumables (culinary items) proper status effects yet  that make the food worth paying for.  

Feel free to post along and I'll add stuff as I see it. 

Also: something cool.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By lego_my_eggo

nice video about the fatigue system. im not a very big MMO player, but i hated that at higher levels you had to spend hours/days just to move up one level. and that is the major reason i do not play them anymore. that system looks like they should be able to let people level up with little xp/time but not max out to fast, and it should cut out all the boring grinding.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By m1k3

good to see they fixed the cursor. now maybe i can play without having to use a 360 controller

Kilnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kilnik

Yeah, I bought a 360 controller specifically for this game. 

I think the camera and movement works better with it, and I even enjoy playing Fallout 3 with it as well. May not go back to mouse + keyboard unless I'm playing a real FPS.

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bunnypot
    @m1k3 said:
    " good to see they fixed the cursor. now maybe i can play without having to use a 360 controller "
    @Kilnik said:
    " Yeah, I bought a 360 controller specifically for this game.  "
    Yeah, I was using a 360 controller for the beta too, my biggest qualm was switching between controller and keyboard so much. I wonder if the Xbox 360 controller keyboard works with the game... Have you guys tried it?
    Kilnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kilnik
    @Kuraform said:

Yeah, I was using a 360 controller for the beta too, my biggest qualm was switching between controller and keyboard so much. I wonder if the Xbox 360 controller keyboard works with the game... Have you guys tried it? "

Not I. It's a small keyboard, though - doesn't look too appealing. My desk setup is such that it's not too difficult to get to the keyboard. I've mapped most of the controls to the 360 controller and primarily use voice communication. 

Sorry if we've gone a bit off-topic here. I am at work and therefore haven't dived into the post-beta game yet. The mouse speed was a big turnoff, as well as the non-intuitive menu structure (just equipping items took me awhile to figure out - why can't you do that from the inventory screen?) 

Has anyone noticed any changes to the menus at all? The number of menu tiers it takes to get to questleves, or the slowness in scrolling through the inventory?    
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Addfwyn

I like that video, I'm going to have to keep that on hand to explain the fatigue system to all the people who rage about it (I like that they even recognize the rage at the end of the video).

Lorazepam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Lorazepam

Fatigue system is fine; keeps me from having to play it as a second job.

nekoNari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By nekoNari

Nice video. Whoever makes it is real dedicated to MMO games... with some real video production skills, too.

I think the fatigue system as explained is simply great. At least it keeps from all the no-lifers crying "there's no endgame content!" only a month into the service. And I guess it'll also give Square-Enix some time to create more content. 

And on the Xbox360 Controller Keypad, I haven't thought about trying it out until now, even when I have it... I'll try it tonight and see if it works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.