Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

First Person Melee

Concept »

Using physical force to damage an opponent, with or without an equipped weapon from a first person perspective.

Your favorite first person melee combat games or game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I was going to make a poll, but there are actually too many games to add, so being as descriptive as possible, what I mean by this is first person games that you use a blunt or sharp object to fight foes. The games I'm thinking of in particular (and might be your answer to the question) are Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Condemned, and Dying Light. I really just named my favorites there, so those are mine. I am currently playing Dead Island; it was only eight bucks on PSN and so I got it. The game is a lot like Dying Light, but I like Dying Light a bit more since it has a handful of differences. I also recently finished Condemned, which was pretty great aside from the last two missions. Maybe it isn't your favorite game overall, but even if it isn't your favorite, what simply has the best melee combat in first person to you? Playing games that primarily feature this as a thing is why I'm interested and asking.

I'd probably say in terms of how 'good' they feel to take down foes, it goes Dying Light as number one for me, Condemned and then Butcher Bay. As an overall thing, Butcher Bay is my favorite game out of them, then Dying Light and then Condemned. With Butcher Bay, I feel the block mixed with using a mixture of different attacks with the stick made it feel noteworthy, and it was a little more challenging than the other two. Condemned it really felt brutal smashing a dude across the face and then walking up to their downed body to finish them off if need be. In Dying Light, even more so I feel than what is now (and was) already seemingly effective in Dead Island, just the way the zombies react to each swipe, and the way the character swings the weapon with each attack has a certain swiftness and using different forms of attacks like jump kicking a zombie feels really good.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By xanadu

I always play sword and shield in Elder Scrolls games. It's the most fun and engaging way to play those games for me. I liked how Oblivion let you have control over when to block and skyrim improved on that by adding a shield bash mechanic.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed all the games you listed, (Condemned is probably my favourite) some other notable ones are the Zeno Clash games and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

The Shadow Warrior reboot is also pretty fun although there are plenty of guns the sword you get at the start is useful throughout. (have yet to play the second game)

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to chime in with Xenoclash. The punch and block mechanics were serviceable but my favorite aspect of the combat are the weird tools you collect, including the ability to tie enemy's health together so damage to one hurts another.

But its really the weirdo enemies and art design that makes punching fun.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

I'm talking more in line with ones that feature weapons, but the fist ones are fine. That brings up the question, anyone else here play or remember Breakdown? From what I remember, Giantbomb did something with that game, or maybe it was Game Informer. That was an... interesting game. One that can also be mentioned I suppose is Mirror's Edge, though I wouldn't say I liked it for its combat.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Technically Dying Light is like Dead Island since Dead Island came first.

But to answer our question, Butcher Bay

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Half of Dark Messiah is a really fun first person melee game. Just remember to start over when you start seeing spiders.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ntm: The GB guys played Breakdown because it had first person vomiting, they did that and moved on.

I played it and thought it was cool conceptually but other games have done first person melee combat much better since.

I remember enjoying Red Steel 2 but by virtue of it being a wii game it can be pretty exhausting. Chivalry is apparently quite good but i've never played it.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeStephan

Quick answer:

Shadow warrior 2

Both Riddicks <3

Red steel 2 IS pretty rad as well, played that +/- a year back

Breakdown is lying next to my og xbox atm......still unplayed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Condemned, Shadow Warrior 1-2, and Escape from Butcher Bay.

BigDaveisCheap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's gotta be Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The the counter and parry systems alone make it noteworthy. The weapon variety creates perceived mismatches that actually end up more like intricate dances where each weapon has to play to its strength to come out on top, and either weapon truly can come out on top. It's multiplayer only and seems to still be fairly strong but you can also check out the developers new spin on it Mirage: Arcane Warfare which keeps the same rock solid melee combat and adds magic and special abilities similar to a hero shooter which seems less popular but still has room to grow.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

There have been a lot of good ones over the years and for their time. I think lately though it has gotten better than ever. Some of the games are a little hit or miss though themselves.

One I will mention in addition to some others mentioned (which were cool) is FEAR, which had some unique and specific melee moves you could do even in multiplayer, which I really enjoyed. There was a slide kick, a silly looking bycicle kick, and a spin kick.

Loading Video...

Verminitde is the best I have played I think (the game has other issues but plays great, with each character and weapon type being fun) and Shadow Warrior 1-2 are both great.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Mirror's Edge Catalyst if you manage to master flow. If you don't have that flow it sucks donkeyballs, but I suppose that is the point.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Socialone

This will be an unusual answer but maining Reinhardt in Overwatch has been a satisfying experience so far. The controls aren't very intricate but there's nothing like bashing fools with a big hammer while they jump around with their fancy tech.

ENTIRE TEAM IS BABIES!

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nnickers

The combat in the Riddick games was really, really satisfying. I really wish that game was still available anywhere for PC...

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Breakdown. Nothing better than beating down superhuman homunculus and following it up with a nice can of soda from the vending machine.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For most Bethesda games I like to crank up the unarmed damage and go running around like a berserker out of Doom. Seeing Bethesda's ragdolls go flying and flumping over from my fists is a satisfying experience.

I'm really looking forward to Fight Knight. It's got a nice style and I'm liking what I've seen of the combat.

https://youtu.be/BTDNO4zOGuQ

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punching people in SUPER. HOT. is pretty fun. I also vouch for Dark Messiah, even if I can only remember kicking orcs to spikewalls, instead of really punching anyone or anything.

@nnickers said:

The combat in the Riddick games was really, really satisfying. I really wish that game was still available anywhere for PC...

Gamersgate at least still seems to have Assault on Dark Athena.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Mirror's Edge 1 for me. There's a part where a bunch of enemy runners show up outta nowhere and chase you, and I remember stopping and deciding to just fight them all and having a blast. Besides that there's Zeno Clash, Chivalry, Project Breakdown, and F.E.A.R. 1.

It's cheating a bit, but Jedi Outcast let you use your lightsaber in first-person, as did Bushido Blade (not a lightsaber). If that counts then it's probably Bushido Blade for me.

I remember enjoying Dead Island too though.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

Punching people in SUPER. HOT. is pretty fun. I also vouch for Dark Messiah, even if I can only remember kicking orcs to spikewalls, instead of really punching anyone or anything.

@nnickers said:

Gamersgate at least still seems to have Assault on Dark Athena.

Huh, you're right. Even Amazon and Gamestop are offering downloads. I could have sworn I looked within the last year and couldn't find it anywhere.

Unfortunately after some quick digging it sounds like the game is unplayable on newer versions of Windows due to some outdated DRM jank.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chivalry bra

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@atastyslurpee: I know, that's why I said 'was' with parenthesis, but is because I am just now playing it for the first time.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The most memorable for me was Dead Island. What a weird game. Despite the numerous flaws, I remember really enjoying the combat. I should probably play Dying Light.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I would have to say Chivalry, first and foremost. Really struggle to pull a good contender.

When it comes to first person melee, I think games with strong physicality (i.e. can see your feet!) tend to do best, which is maybe why Riddick and Mirror's Edge come to mind right away.

Also! Come on guys, Eternal Ring!

...guys?

.. Eternal... no?... Hm, alright. I'll just close the door behind me then.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Not because it's good, mind you, more because it's endlessly entertaining to kick orcs and death knights into conveniently placed spikes over and over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

F.E.A.R. doing flying kicks to NPC's through windows in slowmo never gets old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.