Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

First-Person Perspective

Concept »

First-Person is a vantage point that attempts to simulate looking through a game character's eyes. It is most commonly found in first-person shooters, racing games, and visual novels, and to a lesser extent in other genres, such as RPGs, 3D platformers, and adventure games.

FPS's... why don't I care? [Not a hate speech]

Hayamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hayamo

NOTE: This is not that good... just thought I should warn you.

Ah the first person shooter. A juggernaut among video games since back when all the plot we had was a manly American shooting Nazis. Now we've got a faceless space marine saving the galaxy and a scientist fending off aliens with a crowbar. No doubt this genre has revolutionized gaming and all it's elements forever and was the great start of the "HARDCORE" audience in gaming. There's just one problem... I really don't care about them. It's not like I don't have fun playing, Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games and playing Halo 3 with my friends is also entertaining to some extent. The thing I don't care about is really the games as they are and their general existence.

The first person shooter is almost every game nowadays and it's rare to find a gamer who doesn't play them. I just want to reiterate that I do not hate FPS's. When it comes to my gaming history I grew up on games like Sonic, Zelda and the like and those were huge influences on me as gamer which is very much reflected on in the games I like and sadly FPS's are just not high on that list. Games that try to hard to be "realistic" and "gritty" (which most FPS's are) just don't interest me because when I play games I want to escape reality. Sure I enjoy games like Red Dead Redemption but that game is not on my top 5 nor my top 10. One of my favorite game franchises of all time revolves around an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who can run the speed of sound because he's got stylin' red shoes. I'm also not a big fan of the excessive amounts of violence that games like that go for (which is why I'm also not a huge fan of action games like DMC and God of War) which can be proven that my favorite franchise is fucking Kirby!

If you read my last blog that one was a lot more cohesive and made a much stronger point than this one, but that's because I really just do not care all that much about FPS's and my heart is not intently set into explaining why. I have no deep connection with them and I don't have an excessive love that cannot be explained for them, I like them when they're fun and that's that. You can like all the FPS's you want and I won't tell you to do otherwise. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to get ready for Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Hayamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hayamo

NOTE: This is not that good... just thought I should warn you.

Ah the first person shooter. A juggernaut among video games since back when all the plot we had was a manly American shooting Nazis. Now we've got a faceless space marine saving the galaxy and a scientist fending off aliens with a crowbar. No doubt this genre has revolutionized gaming and all it's elements forever and was the great start of the "HARDCORE" audience in gaming. There's just one problem... I really don't care about them. It's not like I don't have fun playing, Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games and playing Halo 3 with my friends is also entertaining to some extent. The thing I don't care about is really the games as they are and their general existence.

The first person shooter is almost every game nowadays and it's rare to find a gamer who doesn't play them. I just want to reiterate that I do not hate FPS's. When it comes to my gaming history I grew up on games like Sonic, Zelda and the like and those were huge influences on me as gamer which is very much reflected on in the games I like and sadly FPS's are just not high on that list. Games that try to hard to be "realistic" and "gritty" (which most FPS's are) just don't interest me because when I play games I want to escape reality. Sure I enjoy games like Red Dead Redemption but that game is not on my top 5 nor my top 10. One of my favorite game franchises of all time revolves around an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who can run the speed of sound because he's got stylin' red shoes. I'm also not a big fan of the excessive amounts of violence that games like that go for (which is why I'm also not a huge fan of action games like DMC and God of War) which can be proven that my favorite franchise is fucking Kirby!

If you read my last blog that one was a lot more cohesive and made a much stronger point than this one, but that's because I really just do not care all that much about FPS's and my heart is not intently set into explaining why. I have no deep connection with them and I don't have an excessive love that cannot be explained for them, I like them when they're fun and that's that. You can like all the FPS's you want and I won't tell you to do otherwise. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to get ready for Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lemoncookie01

So,you don't like violence is what your saying?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

It's almost like people are different and like different things

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By WickedCestus

I've never heard of Fucking Kirby. 

Doesn't sound like a great franchise though.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @Hayamo said:
    When it comes to my gaming history I grew up on games like Sonic, Zelda and the like and those were huge influences on me as gamer which is very much reflected on in the games I like and sadly FPS's are just not high on that list.
    I was (still am when they turn out good) a huge fan of Sonic, Zelda, Mario, and many more games with similar themes but that never stopped me from also enjoying FPS games.

Maybe you don't own the right hardware to play recent ones?  Maybe you can't stand the violence...
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By manhattan_project
    @Pinworm45 said:

" It's almost like people are different and like different things "

GET YOUR LOGICAL WAY OF THINKING OUTTA HERE!!!
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By shivermetimbers

FPS games tend to be more competitive and thus bring out the worst in people. It makes it more frustrating when you lose if you take the game seriously. 100% of multiplayer focused shooters have 1 or more serious design flaws which people will use to hinder your enjoyment. That's why if you were to join a MLG game battle they turn 50-70% of the game futures off. The games aren't meant to be competitive like sports because there are many factors that can turn the tide in favor of the other player with no way of balancing it out. The only way it can be balanced out is if everyone had the same internet connection speed, the game gun, and the same controls without anything modded. Is that going to happen? Nope. 

I hope you give the genre a run again because they're fun times to be had in FPS games. All of your favorite games have violence in them, just presented cartoonish. Stomping a goomba in the Mushroom Kingdom is no less harmful than shooting an enemy in the face in a shooter; just one is more down to earth than the other.

Hayamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hayamo

I feel I should just say that this was not well written and not a lot of thought went into this. It is bad and I fully admit that. And when I say I don't like violence I phrased that completely wrong and I don't really know how to put it. I know no one's going to feel betrayed cause some random guy on the internet didn't put a lot of thought in a non-hateful rant about video games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " It's almost like people are different and like different things "
    This variety of opinion shall not be tolerated!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.