Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Football Manager 2011

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 05, 2010

The 2011 entry in the football management sim franchise. It covers the 2010/2011 football season and was released in November 2010

A couple of annoying issues

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Binman88

I realise there's probably not a huge audience of GBers playing this, but I wanted to know if any of the few that are, are experience the same annoyances as I am.  

Players are far too easy to upset 
    So much as asking one of your players to try something new on the field can result in them getting pissed off and leaving the conversation.   

Ex: Me: "I'd like you to try and get forward when possible";  
    Them
    : "I don't think that will improve my game";  
    Me
    : "I'd like you to at least try it";  
    Them
    : "I stand by what I said. I think I'd better leave before I say something I regret".            

WHAT? Why do they suddenly come over all aggravated? I'm the fucking manager, I tell you what to do! If the player disagrees, you should be able to talk about it and come to an agreement on perhaps another focus of development, but you can't. You have to take a bit of lip from an unrealistically disrespectful player and risk the possibility of a knock-on effect of morale dropping throughout the squad, just because you're trying to turn a middling club into a very successful one with a chance of Champion's league qualification.  

Not only do players get upset by private chats, but also by you saying something "bad" in a press conference, even though you were trying your best to answer questions with as many positive and optimistic things about the club as you could, and have no clue what the fuck exactly you said to upset them. Also, trying to give the appropriate team-talk before, during, or after a match is like Russian Roulette. Tell the team they can win a game against a comparable team, and some players might look confused. Or they might look demotivated, delighted or may not be listening at all - who knows! Speak to a player after a match where you think he's done well, and he'll tell you he actually thought his performance was rubbish, and says he's confused by my comments. Reload a save before that chat and say the polar opposite (your performance wasn't good enough) and he'll tell you you're being unfair, and that he thought he was playing well. Players aren't this retarded and fickle in real life (well, not all of them), so it just seems dumb to see them represented like this in a game that prides itself on realism. 

A million injuries 
    Players get injured far too frequently. It may be unrealistic, but I'd rather disable injuries altogether instead of the current system of getting almost one bad injury per match. My players have an average workload in training, and I rarely start a player on the pitch who has less than 90% fitness, yet somehow I seem to pick up injuries very easily. My tactics don't include harsh talking or pressing, so I'm confused as to why my players are dropping like flies. Last night I picked up three in one match - two of them were very important players to the squad; the third was another starting player, so it fucks up my plans pretty badly. The fun in the game for me does not come from having to organise a team of reserves to play first team football, so I don't care if the injury thing is even remotely realistic - the fact is that I'm not having fun seeing my decent players placed on the long term injury list.

Wage budget  
    Not a big issue really, this has only really bothered me in one instance, but I can't seem to be able to request the board increase their wage budget for one player, despite being able to land the player for an incredibly low fee. The player in question was Roque Santa Cruz, being offered by Manchester City. He had been offered at 3.5M, but were ready to sign a deal at 1M, but his wage request was about £6K over budget. I had about 4M left in my transfer budget, but there didn't seem to be a way to free up some of that cash for his wage. You can adjust a slider between wage budget and transfer budget, but it's not very flexible, and I have no idea if it would actually increase the max I could spend on his wage, or just the max I could spend on cumulative wages (leaving the max individual wage the same). It didn't matter anyway, because the only way I could add more to the wage budget was by moving the slider once to the left, which halved my transfer budget, which wouldn't leave enough to cover both the club fee and his signing on fee (and the agent's ridiculously high fee) as well. 

Anyway, I'm loving the game apart from the problems I'm encountering. Anyone else feel the same way?

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Meltac

Haven't bought it yet, but that doesn't sound too well. Could it be some kind of weird bug?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Binman88
    @Meltac said:
    " Haven't bought it yet, but that doesn't sound too well. Could it be some kind of weird bug? "
    Nah. I'm new to the series, but as far as I can tell from googling and other forums, these things have been prevalent in all iterations of the game. It's just the way the game has been designed, I guess. Apparently the injury issue has gotten better over the years, with far less injuries than previous years, but I'm seeing far too many for my liking. Although, the wage budget thing could technically be a fixable issue. The problem is that you seem to only be able to interact with the board of management to increase their transfer budget for a specific player, or increase the entire wage budget for the club - neither of which help me in my situation, where I want to increase the wage budget for one specific player.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh

There's no injury bug. There was an really bad injury bug one year, now a few serious injuries and people claim there's an injjury bug.

If Santa Cruz is on 100,000, he won't accept 50,000 somewhere else. If you're Sheffield Utd, the board won't let you offer 80,000 in wages.

The conversation is a new feature, won't be perfect first time around. You can usually guess their response by the type of player they are though, and one way or another (new contract, selling them) issues get resolved.

One thing you can try if you can't offer the wages a player wants, is to set a massive signing on fee and agent fee. Will get them to accept much lower wages, but is an easy way to get into debt. Fees come out of your balance, not your transfer budget.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @Pessh said:
    " There's no injury bug. There was an really bad injury bug one year, now a few serious injuries and people claim there's an injjury bug.  If Santa Cruz is on 100,000, he won't accept 50,000 somewhere else. If you're Sheffield Utd, the board won't let you offer 80,000 in wages.  The conversation is a new feature, won't be perfect first time around. You can usually guess their response by the type of player they are though, and one way or another (new contract, selling them) issues get resolved.  One thing you can try if you can't offer the wages a player wants, is to set a massive signing on fee and agent fee. Will get them to accept much lower wages, but is an easy way to get into debt. Fees come out of your balance, not your transfer budget. "
    I didn't claim there was an injury bug - I'm claiming that, even if it's realistic to be down about 7 or 8 first team players barely a month into the season, it's not adding to my enjoyment of the game. Thankfully I found a mod to edit injuries to make the game more enjoyable for me.  
    I wasn't expecting Santa Cruz's wages to go down to my limit (playing as Fulham, signing as a key player I believe my wage cap was around 6K below his demands), but rather I would like the option to even approach the board to make allowances for his wage, which I can't do. 
    I didn't realise the signing fees were separate from the transfer budget, that's helpful to know for future signings (I had been trying to stay within that budget while adjusting the agent's fee). I'm on unfriendly terms with Roque's agent now, so I doubt we'll come to an agreement anyway!
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pessh

Yeah I get you, its just annoyances though. Unknown players demanding 100k a week and 8million sign on fees? Such a joke

There are some pretty big bugs though, the yellow card suspension rule is 2 in Spain instead of 5, and shit doesn't get fixed until the February update.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By D0tti

Well have you tried just editing your budget manually?

Oh and as for the injuries, thats not soooo unrealistic, just look at Man Utd, almost half of the squad was out injured before the Shitty match.
    But I would think that SI as always will fix the injury rates on players in a patch, that's been a common problem for as long as I played the FM series.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88
    @D0tti: To be fair, I might have had a bad spell of luck with injuries - like getting 3 in one early season match. I've since started a new game and have only had around 5 total injuries (into late November now), only one of which was serious enough to keep a player out for a number of weeks. As for it being realistic, it couldn't be more realistic for Fulham. Just last week they picked up two injuries, adding to the long-term Zamora injury early this season, and the 3 or 4 others (some of whom have since returned, like Dembele). I don't think it could be going any worse for Fulham at this stage :( Still, as realistic as it is, I wasn't having much fun, so I'm glad my new game isn't as injury plagued as my original save.
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By D0tti
    @Binman88:  Yeah I know what you mean, never fun when you're getting long-term injuries on important players. In my second season with Ipswich I had at the most 5 or 6 players out with injury for at least 3 weeks at one time and 2 of does players were my top CB and ST.. Luckily for me I had good backup on both places. 

Oh just too brag a little since there is'nt a bragging topic for FM11, I got the treble with Ipswich in my second season :D. PL, FA Cup and CL(first season in CL).
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88
    @D0tti: Nice! I'm having a pretty good spell with Fulham. Currently at 3rd in the PL, still in contention for the FA Cup - though that might not last long, with Man Utd as my next fixture. My squad seems to struggle against weaker teams - something I'm constantly reminded of by one of the backroom advisors. He doesn't tell me how to motivate them though, so I just keep telling them "I expect you to win this match" and showing my disappointment if they're rubbish at half time. Doubt they're listening though. 

Do you usually make a couple of big signings and stick with the majority of the original squad, or do you aim to replace most of it and build a "wonder team" as it were? I only signed Leon Osman and Erik Pieters, and left the rest of the squad be. Hopefully be able to attract another decent central/attacking mid to cover Danny Murphy, who tends to run out of steam in his old age :P 

It's funny to see the actual depth in the squad as it stands before you make any signings, something you don't necessarily realise in real life - like how Fulham are in dire need of a left back to cover for Salcido (who just got injured last week).
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By D0tti
    @Binman88:  Against weaker teams I usally just use "U can win this" on away or just "Wish the team luck", it seems too work often and at half time I just lash out on the players that are playing under 6.5(if they have a good morale that is, if not I'll say "I have faith in them").

As for building a team. Well in my first season(second season on my save) in PL after just being promoted, there weren't alot off very good players who wanted too come play for my team, so I had to buy some young prospects that still could do a pretty good work for my first team, the biggest stars I got was Willian(from Shakhtar), Loic Nestor and Gary Medel(January window). Besides them I loaned some pretty good players from Man Utd and Arsenal and had to use the rest off my  squad from last season, that weren't that good actually, but they did capture Carling Cup throphy and a 3th place in PL. 

But in my third season(the treble season, in my last post I mean I won the treble in my second season in PL btw :P) I sold almost every player that was in my squad from the get go, besides Connor Wickham(who becomes one of the top English strikers in the game) and bought the best I could get on the market, players like Ochoa, Hutton, Sergio Escudero(who you should check since u were struggling to find a backup for Salcido, I think Sergio could even take over his spot) and again loaned some very good attacking players from Man Utd and Arsenal, mostly for backup this time. 

So too answer your question, when playing with a team like Ipswich who only has 2 or 3 players which are good enough for PL from the start(Fulop, Wickham and Leadbitter), I usually aim at changing the whole team and getting the best players  available at that time. But if I would start with a team thats already a established PL(like Fulham) I just try and keep the majority of the squad and build around them.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88
    @D0tti: Yea, that's probably the only realistic approach to contend for the PL with a promoted team. I'll have a look at Escudero for sure, though Pieters is doing a decent (if not better) job than Salcido for the time being. The problem I have with Salcido, is that despite playing in the left back position in real life, he's only "competent" in that position in game. I don't have a natural position for him in the formations I use, so I'll probably want to offload him sooner or later, or see if I can train him to go where I want. He also picks up yellow cards with alarming frequency.
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By D0tti
    @Binman88:  Hm that's weird, cause as you wrote Salcido plays mostly on left back :S, but yeah you could just train him to be a LB and a tip for avoiding to many yellow cards can be to see if you're setting the players to tackle "Hard" or "Normal", I always put the players on "Normal" before the match starts and rarely have problems with these things, also see if Salcido doesn't have any negative "preffered moves" that involves playing extra dirty like "throwing himself in tackles" and just ask him to avoid it/train it away.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
    @D0tti: Yeah, I had him set to the default for tackling players, but I never thought to ask him to stay on his feet as a preferred move (or like you said, make sure he's not currently throwing himself into challenges). I'll give it a try, thanks! Knowing my luck, he'll tell me it won't improve his game, and I'll have to threaten him with a transfer listing :P
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By D0tti
    @Binman88:  Hehe yeah I managed to piss of one my players when I tried to convince them that I felt they really should try to do X preffered movement, luckily he didn't get really pissed off and threatend with transfer or anything, he just left the conversation :P.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

the only way to win a football manager game is to not play it. *nods*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.