Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

For Honor

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 14, 2017

A third-person melee-focused arena versus multiplayer game featuring warriors from different periods of time. Initially featuring European Knights, Samurai, and Vikings but subsequentially expended with other warriors from different times and cultures.

For Honor Alpha Impressions O M G

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This game is like Dark Souls PVP / Rock Paper Scissors with fake outs, and......wait for it / Recket League........ (crickets) ???

For Honor has the type of combat i dreamed of when first playing Shinobi on PS2, or Bushido Blade on PS1. Combos, feints, guard breaks, reverse guard breaks, perrys. It IS REALLY GOOD (12 hours in)

The character animation is soooo smooth, like slowly melting butter.

The lock on system is solid, like Dark Souls you can circle straif comfortably. Plays like a dream.

Having as much fun with it as rocket league (1300 hours in), the skill level is higher than Zach Effron at E3!

"This game is Godlike"

F%ck Dave Lang :P

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I've played both the previous (NDA'd) closed alphas so haven't been able to talk about the game before, but yes, it's pretty darn excellent. Throwing people into spike pits is great fun, and the actual combat reminds me of a cross between Dark Souls and a fighting game (without the complex button inputs).

Dueling people involves a lot of mind games which is always my favourite thing in competitive games and if they keep working on the balance of the different classes they could be on to something here.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I really dig it too. I don't expect I'll be playing it for months on end like I did with rocket league, but i love the feel. Can't wait to try the rest of the classes next year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really is so good. The characters all play differently in interesting ways even though I love the regular old knight. The matchmaking is quick, the customization is cool, and the fights are always intense. I'm going to be bummed when the beta ends, can't wait till this releases.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I dunno. You start throwing around Bushido Blade and Dark Souls and my expectations reach questionable levels of attainability.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Has anyone played War of the Roses? I'm curious how melee in For Honor compares to that combat system. Also, has Uplay gotten any less shitty?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So I thought this game was sorta like a dynasty warriors multiplayer knockoff and I was completely wrong. It's got a lot more in common with like a fighting game or something. It sorta reminds me of a really well executed one of those Naruto fighting games.

JamMasterMango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JamMasterMango

I was fortunate enough to play in the last technical test as well as in this most recent closed alpha. I must say... at the pace and hype that this game is building, For Honor is very much going to shine.

Technical impressions--speaking from PC: performance-wise, it feels very optimized. I'm rocking a dated 770 and I don't think I noticed any frame rate issues nor any notable major visual glitches. I feel like I could have toughed this out on my old 550 build. I probably don't need to go on about it. I mean, most of us have seen it by now; the game looks very cool; smooth for the most part--dare I even say worthy of eSports commentary. For me, I think it's one of the better games to actually spectate; I enjoyed watching quite a few people, added Jason and Danny O'Dwyer learning the ropes. I would note (and I'm probably not alone here): the main issue during the alpha that I had was with the matchmaking servers and disconnections. Still... with that, you kind of basically shrug and mutter "alpha" and try to rejoin. A small number of times I had to force close the client just to restart, and usually things smoothed out afterward. Still, servers were up and down, but given the game's current progress I couldn't really hold that against it.

Controls seemed slightly awkward at first, though, I would attribute much of that to it being a new game; nothing like it that's directly comparable. Dark Souls, sure..maybe a little, but definitely a different vibe, different genre, worthy to stand on its own. The "rock, paper, scissors" of attacking and countering is a pretty accurate description of a 1v1 against someone. And there's a lot of depth to explore with that, especially across the 6 playable classes given, in movesets and combos. Personally, I do think some balances and tweaks here and there are probably expected by launch--I noticed some weirdness with things like delayed inputs with some of the animation gaps that I wasn't familiar with. Pulling off combos was clunky sometimes, but honestly, much improved during this alpha compared to the first time I'd played a few months ago. A lot more fluid. You certainly get the hang of it after awhile.

Overall, I had a ton of fun. I like that there's going to be some emphasis on customizing your look and loadouts, and I'm really glad they're adding a single-player campaign--hopefully a well-rounded one at that. We'll see. As it is now, I think it's a solid action-fighter. Probably not for everyone, but I'm sure a lot of people are going to enjoy.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually a little disappointed after playing the beta. The combat is no where near as lethal or as deep as I was expecting it to be. I might still get the game eventually... when it's on a deep discount.

The whole thing has just made me reinstall Chivalry.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pezen

I'm finding it to be pretty interesting once I slowed down a little bit. Playing Dominion there's a lot of things happening and if you just go on the offensive against someone (or a team) that's more calculating, you're going to get wrecked fast. But if you slow down and pay attention to your opponents you could theoretically survive a 2v1 scenario (I have been close) and maybe more. I think I am the most impressed by how different the classes feel considering the mechanical input is so similar. But I have to admit, I am not clicking with the Samurai. I am all about the Vikings and when it comes to knights I do quite like Conqueror.

I can see some Bushido Blade DNA in there although as much as I enjoyed limb damage in that game it might be hard to get that to work with this game as successfully. Also, killing creeps makes me curious if I would like Dynasty Warriors more if it had that level of weight to it because it's pretty satisfying going in there and wrecking havoc.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By DharmaBum

Hm, this wasn't on my radar at all. I'll have to check out some Twitch streams.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been kinda excited for this since it was announced, havent gotten a chance to play though. Anymore betas/alpha tests planned? I think i signed up on there site but not 100% it worked.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah this one is pretty damn fun. My one gripe really was getting ganged up on in a 2 v 1 situation but I discovered I think I didn't understand that Revenge system (I believe it's called?) that is entirely aimed at giving you a chance there. Otherwise it's a bummer to just get crushed in those situations. Also, team play matters a lot and if you're with a shitty team that isn't going for objectives for example and you are and are facing 2 v 1 situations constantly it can be quite frustrating.

When you land a good blow and take a guy out, it is so satisfying. I love the Viking with the long axe, bringing down powerful overhead blows for that. Also doing the tackle at the right moment when you can toss an enemy off a cliff. And it's tense as shit.

I'm usually a bit averse to multiplayer games on small scales like this but I do enjoy it. I really hope the singleplayer has some meat to it as well.

Also, this game has beautiful art and graphics in general.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wish i could have tried it. never played it but watches it being played and it also reminds me of die by the sword. something about the combat looks chunky in a good way.

say what you will about them as a company i think ubisoft (as a whole) still puts out some pretty fun games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

It looks good, but I uninstalled it an hour into the Technical Test and will probably never try it again. It's way too much of a moba for me.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's like Dark Souls PvP except it isn't an unbalanced broken mess. There is actual structure and goals.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Yeah this one is pretty damn fun. My one gripe really was getting ganged up on in a 2 v 1 situation but I discovered I think I didn't understand that Revenge system (I believe it's called?) that is entirely aimed at giving you a chance there. Otherwise it's a bummer to just get crushed in those situations. Also, team play matters a lot and if you're with a shitty team that isn't going for objectives for example and you are and are facing 2 v 1 situations constantly it can be quite frustrating.

Yeah, after the last technical test I left lengthy feedback to them that the revenge system wasn't explained at all and is incredibly unclear if you have to try and work out what the hell is going on (for both the attacker and the defender!) Hopefully they explain it a lot better in the final game, or maybe tweak it.

That said, my advice for you is to not be afraid of running away. It's not always possible, but running from a 2v1 fight generally can be more beneficial, allowing you to re-group with your team or exploit the fact the opposing team now has 2 of their players in one place.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yeah dude I didn't even know it existed until I did a survey for them after and then felt like they really dropped the ball explaining it at all. I don't even know how it works but they basically said it's made to handle 2v1 gang ups which was one big issue that hampered my fun so I give the game more benefit of that doubt on that then.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game looks awesome. It seems right up my ally but i didn't realise it was even coming to PC.

Does anyone have a spare key for the beta by any chance? I heard they gave out extras for friends.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zaccheus

@tanstaafl: The beta was just over the weekend.

I too quite enjoyed it, it seemed like a fighting game I could actually play (I suck at them), because there is no complex inputs but the strategy is still there. I was also suprised how well the PC version was optimized. It ran like a dream on my 970.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, after seeing footage from the beta this game has jumped to the top of my most anticipated releases. Looks rad.

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ianmarkx

Anyone interested in the upcoming beta: http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/register/

No dates as of yet, but hoping in a month or so. Glad to see interest building for this title.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ghost_cat

After seeing some footage, it seems like blows don't seem to have enough impact or weight to them. And I kinda wish they had a location-based gore system for landing killing blows.

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Duel mode Heroes show the cuts that killed them, like bloody gashes in helms, if that is more your style. There are also decapitations and other finishers Ghost_Cat.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is basically a fight club. Cool. There's some e-sport potential there.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing some footage, it seems like blows don't seem to have enough impact or weight to them. And I kinda wish they had a location-based gore system for landing killing blows.

After playing the beta, and reading around on websites and such, even on an Unpro right here on GB, its often commented on how weighty and meaty the hits feel. I think it might just be you.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake said:
    @ghost_cat said:

After playing the beta, and reading around on websites and such, even on an Unpro right here on GB, its often commented on how weighty and meaty the hits feel. I think it might just be you.

Yeah I do not agree with that. It depends on the character you have, timing, equipment even but as the first Viking character I definitely could land some huge hits on people.

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there is a beta this weekend from October 20-24 in Japan. Don't know yet if it can be accessed in US but just wanted to let people know. Might work in UK.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By avantegardener

Played a couple of hours of the beta, seems fun, a lot of potential.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked what I saw of it when Jason played it on UPF a few months ago. It looks like a better version of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My issue is that after playing about one game of domination i just dont feel like playing again. Might be because the teams always quit after, but something seems to be missing. I really couldn't tell the last test since the servers weren't as good, but now that i had time to play i just didnt feel like it.

Game is good though, hopefully they add more modes and maps for full release.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls PvP, Rock / Paper / Scissors, Bushido Blade, Naruto...I couldn't be more unsold on this game now.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the gameplay, but like any other Ubisoft game recently all the other "features" surrounding it kind of bummed me out.
    As others have said, it does seem really well optimized though, which is a huge plus. I'm just unsure about the micro-transactions. To me it seems sort of grimy in a full priced game, even if it's just cosmetics.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked literally everything I heard and seen from this game until somebody said the word MOBA. The interest flew out of my body instantly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OurSin_360

@luchalma: its not a moba, if anything its more like a fighting game mixed with dynasty warriors.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit this weekend and really disliked it, glad I got to play so I know not to buy. I probably didn't give it enough time but but the combat just felt like I was flailing around struggling to discern blocks from hits both incoming and outgoing. I just couldn't get the timing down enough to effectively kill my opponent. Combat felt like constantly needing to sneeze without the satisfaction of ever doing so, I'm not making much sense. I'm sure with more time it would start to click but I'm just not willing to commit to it at all.

Can totally see why people will get into it but it's just not for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.