5/24 Bombcast: More LA Noire, Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite, E3!

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mahonay

I tore through this week's Bombcast last night and I have to say I am a lot more excited for Bioschok Infinite than I was before.  It's sounding like something pretty spectacular and just kind of off the wall.  Also, couldn't believe my email about covering E3 was actually read on this episode.  It's the first email I've sent in and I had sent it just before last week's Bombcast, so I just assumed that was that.  I kind of had it on as background noise during emails while I folded laundry and hearing my name aloud definitely threw me the fuck off.  It was really cool to hear some insight on that stuff....and yeah, working E3 still sounds pretty awful.  I went to my first gaming expo at PAX East this past March and just trying to get to everything on my own self created schedule was stressful.  Pretty sure I'd have some sort of aneurysm if I was stuck with the task of covering E3.  Personally I'm pumped to hear what news comes out of the show as well as some of the 3 hours of footage from whatever the hell Jeff was doing at the pre-E3 event last week.

Anything else anyone would like to talk about from this week's Bombcast?

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bwooduhs

Im with you on Bioshock. Couldn't have cared less before listening but now its definitely on my radar.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mfpantst
@bwooduhs said:
Im with you on Bioshock. Couldn't have cared less before listening but now its definitely on my radar.
This.  Considering buying the first game.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mahonay
@mfpantst said:
@bwooduhs said:
This.  Considering buying the first game.
I think any gamer needs to experience playing through Bioschok.  Definitely worth picking it up.  I'd have to imagine you could get it pretty cheap at this point.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mfpantst
@Mahonay: probably- there'll be a short lull in games for me in a couple weeks so I might go see how cheap I can get it.  Also, this plus a game next month (totally different tone, but something I'm into) plus LA Noire plus Borderlands last year is starting to make me think 2K is on to something with the games they publish.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

More like Bioshlock!

But yes, Infinite sounds downright amazing. If you really want to fall down a rabbit-hole, track down a copy of System Shock 2. It's a lot less refined than Bioshock, but way, way more tense.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mahonay
@mfpantst said:

@Mahonay: probably- there'll be a short lull in games for me in a couple weeks so I might go see how cheap I can get it.  Also, this plus a game next month (totally different tone, but something I'm into) plus LA Noire plus Borderlands last year is starting to make me think 2K is on to something with the games they publish.

As a big basketball fan, 2K has a special place in my heart.  Been playing NBA 2K since Visual Concepts put out the first game on the Dreamcast.  NBA 2K11 is an unbelievably good and overlooked basketball game.  Outside of Battlefield it's probably the game I've played most this year.

It's been interesting seeing it turn into such a large publisher/developer under the wings of Take-Two Interactive now.  10 years ago I never would of thought 2K would of become synonymous with some of the biggest titles of the generation that have nothing to do with sports.

Kind of went on a tangent there...
Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heltom92
@mfpantst: You HAVEN'T played the Bioshock games!? Get on it ASAP. Bioshock 2 is great as well, They are both pretty cheap now as well.
SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
@Heltom92 said:
@mfpantst: You HAVEN'T played the Bioshock games!? Get on it ASAP. Bioshock 2 is great as well, They are both pretty cheap now as well.
Agreed. Both are cheap right now, and the first BioShock is a truly remarkable experience. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

I kinda skipped the bioshock talk, really not that interested about it.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mahonay
@Laketown said:
I kinda skipped the bioshock talk, really not that interested about it.
Have you just lost interest in Bioschok in general?  

Personally, I certainly lost interest after just being drowned in the Bioshock frenzy after the first game and a sequel that looked to be just piling onto that.  When I heard it was announced I kind of groaned, as I think a lot of other people did too.  You should do yourself a favor and look up some of the footage and then see what you think.  It's definitely something different this time around.

Or, you have seen it already and you're just not interested which is totally fine.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mfpantst
@Aragorn123: @Heltom92: Yeah it's crazy.  More on that in a second.

@Mahonay: I think I first became aware of 2K with the $20 sports games.  I remember when that happened I bought the NHL 2k game, and it was great.  But then I also remember the game used to hang my PS2 all the time and I sorta stayed away from 2K for a while for this reason.  Then when BioShock came out, I was still in those dark days, mistrusting 2K by default.  Borderlands (even if it's a gearbox joint) probably fixed that problem for me.  When I finally got borderlands, seeing that 2K logo at the start, I almost took the game out and returned it immediately.  Then the game was good.  Since then I've learned that Take 2 and 2K and Rockstar (though I think of Rockstar more as Take 2), have ammased a set of developers more interested in making good games than pushing big franchises, something EA and Activision seem to love.  So maybe I will go out and get bioshock and see what this shit is all about.  

Stay away from Bioshock 2 though?  Seems like in Levine's imagination of the bioshock universe BioShock 2 doesn't exist.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta
@Mahonay: no, I've never been interested in bioshock and I just don't like the look of this one, from what I've seen so far
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By DetectiveSpecial
@mfpantst:  Bioshock 2 is better than it has any right to be, considering what it was tasked with following. 
Minerva's Den, however, is awesome. That alone makes Bioshock 2's existence completely justified.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mfpantst

Ok so i thinks I may just get bioshock, and at some other point get bioshock 2 so I can play Minerva's Den.  That being said- as far as BioShock 1 goes, is there any reason to get the PC version as opposed to the xbox version?

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heltom92
@mfpantst: Bioschock 2 got some bad press because many people thought it didn't really need to exist. Which is true. However, Bioshock 2 is still a great game and the combat is actually better than the first game. It's just that the setting loses a lot of atmosphere and impact because it is set in the exact same place as the first one.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mfpantst
@Heltom92: Yeah- I guess what I'm getting at is Bioshock Infinite is certainly exciting, but hearing Ken Levine talk about the game is part of why all of the sudden I'm like "hey, maybe I'm missing out."  And hearing as it sounds like BioShock 2 was maybe 2K's only forray ever into needless sequels somewhat makes me feel like skipping it.  Though I've heard good things about Minerva's Den.  Or about who wrote Minerva's Den.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mahonay

So I went back and looked up the ridiculous Konami MGS2 E3 reveal documentary that was mentioned on the Bombcast.  I pulled some screens from that video...  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided