Bombcast backlog

Avatar image for deactivated-63e816891732d
deactivated-63e816891732d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I'm new to Giant Bomb as a website (still sifting through Quick Looks,) and I've been starting to listen to the Bombcast weekly. I'm going to have a ton of idle time this summer due to the nature of the job I'm working, and I'd like to know if I should listen to the entire backlog, or just pick out >30 episodes of the Bombcast for things that interest me. Can you guys help me out? Thanks!

PS: This website is great, I jumped the Kotaku ship after it REALLY went bad recently. This is a great site.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NegativeCero

If you want to save some time I recommend listening to the podcast produces. It compiles the best moments of a podcast in a certain year, and it's not just the Bombcast either. Here's his latest for 2011 Bombcasts.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e816891732d
deactivated-63e816891732d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, cool. I'll listen to those, and I've got a few special podcasts I'd like to go through soon.

Thanks a lot!

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By walreese55

^Make sure to find the Firefighter game and Rogue Warrior Quick Looks

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

All of them forever.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BionicMonster
Eselhut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eselhut

Four months ago I compiled every Bombcast, endurance run, and premium video, as well as a selection of quick looks into a list of 500+ bookmarks listed in chronological order. It covered everything from the very first podcast to the very latest at the time of my having compiled it. So far I've watched up into August of 2010. While it's been an amazing experience fake-time-travelling back to 2008 and following along, it cut into my free time in a way that I really can't recommend.

I'd say just look up highlights and maybe find a few fellow listeners to help you along in it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

Basically, just search 'bombcast' in youtube and you'll get dozens of golden moments from over the years.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I would argue that it is worth it to go back to the first one and just keep going, even though the news is old there humour is great and the news is interesting seeing it now. I'm on my second run-through and I'm somewhere in 2009 and there talking about Fez, it's pretty cool.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Leptok

Yeah, if you have a lit of time, just start from the beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go back to Arrow Pointing Down and work your way up. With the way the way the Bombcrew veer off topic so often, it makes the podcast significantly easier to listen to at a later date than other podcasts that are always on topic and only discuss whatever happens to be going on the week they're recording.

Skip anything with "Leigh Alexander" in the description though.

Geurge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Geurge

@Eselhut: I've been going through the bombcast backlog as well, and the fake time travel thing is awesome.

I think it was either Vinny or Brad who just said that Halo 4 wasn't going to be on the 360.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Winternet

I would suggest you listening to the compilation episodes from thisyearcollection and after that check out the special episodes, like from E3 or GOTY or GDC.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matthias2437

If you have the free time then I would say just start at the very first Arrow Pointing Down podcast and listen your way up. When I first started listening to the bombcast (about a year and a half ago) I downloaded every single episode and just listened to them one after another for like a month until I was caught up.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

It's not like they're all super interesting, but I don't regret listening to them all (sometimes more than once, back when I had the time).

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By DougCL

i ran the entire archive last year, and i dont regret a second of it. if you have the time you definitely should do it that way.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By Slag

I'm in the middle of running through the entire backlog right now. Been doing an episode a day or so.

All worth it man, this is easily the best podcast I've ever listened to.

hah Kinda funny to hear what games they were talking abotu back in 2008 and 9.

Man they were super psyched for Bionic Commando! Talked about nearly every episode for a couple months and then boom it comes out and virtually nothing more

yeahhh

Overall the guys really consistently put out an entertaining show.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By byrjun

No matter your choice, make sure you hook up with the bombcast episode where they drink Drank.

As far as I remember, it was in january 2009.

Drank. And Giancarlo Varinini.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By fox01313

They all tend to be good & after a while I find it easy to just turn off the audio on whatever game I'm working on to just grab a random bombcast. Last time I looked it seemed like the itunes page for GB might have been missing things when sorting it (might be at limit of how many it can list) so best to just go through the bombcast page on the site to get most of the archives (as I believe the Nintendo Download Xpress stuff is probably on Jeff's page or hiding on the site, useful to know as there's one bombcast sort of tied to the Download Xpress slightly). Have fun.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chop

My suggestion would be to start right at the beginning. I mean, it's not like podcasts are hard to get through. You can listen to them while you play games, while you clean, when you're going to sleep, etc.

And no compilation or youtube scan is gonna get even half of the great moments. Plus going that route, I feel like you'd miss the more interesting conversations and only get the funny and that would be doing yourself a disservice.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icecreamjones

Currently in year one of a total catchup, starring with APD. It's all a hoot to me, even with completely outdated information (remember how certain they were that EA would buy TakeTwo?)

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By M_Shini

Ive already started listening back from when it was Arrow Pointing Down podcast and ive made it up to about mid 09, its just as entertaining as anything recent, i you got the time to burn go for it, i usually listen to it in games that aren't very eventful all the time.

Bael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bael

I listen to them daily and have the entire catalog downloaded. Rarely is there not at least one hilarious kernel of fun in a Bombcast. It's also interesting to look back and hear their thoughts about games and events before, during, and after they came about. Go ahead and grab them all.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By BBAlpert

@Bael: What's the best way to do this? I've just been going to the site and streaming whichever episode I want to listen to, but is there a better way?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BBAlpert said:

@Bael: What's the best way to do this? I've just been going to the site and streaming whichever episode I want to listen to, but is there a better way?

Most podcast apps will let you provide an RSS feed. Then just tell it to download ALL THE THINGS.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Sackmanjones

I would start at 2009 It's actually kinda interesting to hear their predictions and see if they came true or not

Bael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bael

@Keen314 said:

@BBAlpert said:

Most podcast apps will let you provide an RSS feed. Then just tell it to download ALL THE THINGS.

I did something similar to that. I took the Bombcast RSS feed (http://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/podcast), put it into my download manager (JDownloader), and let it parse out all the Bombcasts so I could download them. Whatever software you use for podcasts or downloading should hopefully parse the RSS feed for you and let you download them.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sackmanjones said:

I would start at 2009 It's actually kinda interesting to hear their predictions and see if they came true or not

I just started listening from the very beginning, and on the ~4th podcast, they're discussing the announcement of Prey 2. The fall of HD-DVD and victory of Blu-ray is all the rage, so they're talking alot about how the 360 will probably get an external blu-ray drive (hah!).

Bael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bael

@GenocidalKitten said:

Also you should probably skip the E3 ones

Why would you do that? The conference (E3, TGS, GDC, etc.) podcasts where they have tons of guests are great.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By hawkinson76

Just listen to all of them. That's what I have done, two or three times each. I spend a lot of time commuting, but I probably would have done it anyway, its consistently good.