Can be changed....

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78
@LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?     
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia     

Was going to sub...now going to make damn sure I sub before 9/10.  After reading tweets from Ryan like " http://twitter.com/taswell/status/23967198880 trying our damndest to stay in business" basically pushes out the negativity towards some of the details to me.  If gb died :( FUUUUU sub before the tenth so GB lives and the stupid split doesn't happen.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Barrock

Fuck yeah! GiantBomb, fuck yeah!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DystopiaX

Not going to, simply because I think this is the best, business wise, for Whiskey Media, and I'd rather have a split bombcast than no Giantbomb at all...Ryan and friends on twitter have made clear that they pretty much have to make money on this now to stay in business.

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LumpOfCole

I was going to subscribe anyway. I still like the idea of two chunks though, one for "news" stuff toward the end of the week when the news is still fresh, and the "what you've been playing" stuff toward the beginning of the week. Makes sense, no?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

How about just offer $25-30 a year for a Bombcast only subscription? That's the only thing of value for me that comes with the subscription.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ch13696

If that's what it takes then I'll do it. It's just gonna take some talking to with my girlfriend. 

EDIT: I will probably have to give up on Suikoden III I found at a Gamestop and Borderlands GotY Edition in October.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz
@ch13696 said:
" If that's what it takes then I'll do it. It's just gonna take some talking to with my girlfriend. "
Yup. I still don't support the move, but if this is how I make sure the split doesn't happen, I'll do my part and subscribe.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By karneh

Are we paying for it to be free? What?

I'm sorry, I'm confused.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By manhattan_project

@jukezypoo said:

" @ch13696 said:
" If that's what it takes then I'll do it. It's just gonna take some talking to with my girlfriend. "
Yup. I still don't support the move, but if this is how I make sure the split doesn't happen, I'll do my part and subscribe. "
Same here.

I WILL find a way to subscribe.
BombaLuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BombaLuigi

so they are basically saying, "buy our shit to get our shit free"... yeah, that makes sense

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aetos
@Karn said:
"Are we paying for it to be free? What? I'm sorry, I'm confused. "

I think it means that if 5000 people sign up for paid membership they won't split it. Most likely because they will be making enough money to justify them not needing to split it.
Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By killroycantkill

Guess I'll sign up lol.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Damien

Don't want to sound too cynical here, but I doubt GB was ever truly in trouble of going out of business.  If that was the case, it would've been Whiskey Media's fault for expanding when it didn't have the money.  I believe GB is far and away WM's cash cow, so if they were in trouble, a smart business would've closed down other less popular sites and directed those resources to GB.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidS
@Damien:
Dude, they only have 1 bar in their office and 2 new website launches in the last little while. Obviously they are struggling for money.
justamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By justamat
@Damien: Didn't AnimeVice lose it's editor not too long ago?
omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By omghisam
@Damien said:

" Don't want to sound too cynical here, but I doubt GB was ever truly in trouble of going out of business.  If that was the case, it would've been Whiskey Media's fault for expanding when it didn't have the money.  I believe GB is far and away WM's cash cow, so if they were in trouble, a smart business would've closed down other less popular sites and directed those resources to GB. "

Cash cow when they have the largest staff, consume the most bandwidth, buy a ton of games, and do an insane amount of business travel with little to no ad revenue to justify the expense? Giantbomb is probably the greatest cash sink for WM. Hell, anime vice is probably the most profitable site because the marginal cost for content per user is insanely low.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dtat

I want to believe the GB crew wouldn't lie to us.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lemoncookie01

If money is the problem couldn't they just close down Anime Vice to save money?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barrock

@ ace_defective Dead serious about hitting that goal. Good idea about a counter. Let us think about it. Thanks.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Barrock:
They also said that it can be monthly or annual.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Damien
@justamat:  Yeh, but I thought the official word was they left of their own accord not fired, and definitely not due to money trouble on Whiskey Media's part.  Also wasn't that before WM expanded, so if they were in dire need of cash, they'd put Screened on hold.

@omghisam said:
" @Damien said:
" Don't want to sound too cynical here, but I doubt GB was ever truly in trouble of going out of business.  If that was the case, it would've been Whiskey Media's fault for expanding when it didn't have the money.  I believe GB is far and away WM's cash cow, so if they were in trouble, a smart business would've closed down other less popular sites and directed those resources to GB. "
Cash cow when have the largest staff, consume the most bandwidth, buy a ton of games, and do an insane amount of business travel with little to no ad revenue? Giantbomb is probably the greatest cash sink for WM. Hell, anime vice is probably the most profitable site because the marginal cost for content per user is insanely low. "

Ok so they do have the largest staff.  You got me there.  Probably do consume the most bandwidth due to their popularity (If bandwidth costs were a major issue, I fail to see how HD video content would lessen that problem.)  I don't know how many games they buy.  I was under the impression the majority of the serious games and not the '$10 bad game from BBY we thought would be funny for a QL' were given by the publishers for review purposes.  And also under the impression that most of the travel for events is paid for by the publishers again, save for E3 and PAX and maybe one other convention, though I would've guessed that they would've planned for those costs.

Just to clarify my point, I'm not judging or condemning WM for having this pay service.  I'm just trying to say that I don't think this was a matter of 'OMG we have to do this and split up the Bombcast or else GB will shut down' that some seem to be inferring from twitter.  I'm seeing it more as a 'more revenue would be nice for the staff of Whiskey Media and the investors would like to see a return on their investment' type of deal.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz

@hellohellomike Paid members are paid members, monthly or annual. I hope you're right.  

Monthly subscriptions count as well (and now I'm done re-posting this, I'm going to go work out, hopefully we can do it.) 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Milkman

Pay to get stuff for free? That makes no sense. How about I just pay and get what I paid for?

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bhhawks78
@Milkman said:
" Pay to get stuff for free? That makes no sense. How about I just pay and get what I paid for? "
No you pay to get what you paid for + pay basically asap to keep the bombcast from changing.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Milkman said:
" Pay to get stuff for free? That makes no sense. How about I just pay and get what I paid for? "
No your paying to help the people who would not be subscribing. Cause some people are crybabies.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Protip:if you're gonna make a sub service don't take away base content add more premium stuff.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Milkman
@bhhawks78: @MasturbatingBear:  

Well, I'm gonna pay anyway. So, you're welcome...?
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hockeymask27

Ill do a month or two to save the bombcast

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78 said:

" @LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?     

Was going to sub...now going to make damn sure I sub before 9/10.  After reading tweets from Ryan like " http://twitter.com/taswell/status/23967198880 trying our damndest to stay in business" basically pushes out the negativity towards some of the details to me.  If gb died :( FUUUUU sub before the tenth so GB lives and the stupid split doesn't happen. "

If you genuinely want to subscribe, that's great. But don't let them fucking guilt trip you into it.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Kyreo
@DystopiaX said:
" Not going to, simply because I think this is the best, business wise, for Whiskey Media, and I'd rather have a split bombcast than no Giantbomb at all...Ryan and friends on twitter have made clear that they pretty much have to make money on this now to stay in business. "
Yes.  This, my friends.  
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bhhawks78
@Soapy86 said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" @LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?     

Was going to sub...now going to make damn sure I sub before 9/10.  After reading tweets from Ryan like " http://twitter.com/taswell/status/23967198880 trying our damndest to stay in business" basically pushes out the negativity towards some of the details to me.  If gb died :( FUUUUU sub before the tenth so GB lives and the stupid split doesn't happen. "
If you want to pay, that's great. But don't let them fucking guilt trip you into it. "
If they had a donate button I would have donated over 50 easily the last two years, but from what dave/ryan have been saying I feel like I'm paying 50 not for hd videos a friday show and then features I won't use, but to keep the other stuff being made AT ALL.  There hasn't been any game I've enjoyed as much or as long as gb so I'm paying even if the split bombcast thing really rubs me the wrong way.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Milkman said:
" @bhhawks78: @MasturbatingBear:   Well, I'm gonna pay anyway. So, you're welcome...? 

Calm down dude? I'm probably going to pay to? Just answering your question.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78 said:
" @Soapy86 said:
" @bhhawks78 said:

If you want to pay, that's great. But don't let them fucking guilt trip you into it. "
If they had a donate button I would have donated over 50 easily the last two years, but from what dave/ryan have been saying I feel like I'm paying 50 not for hd videos a friday show and then features I won't use, but to keep the other stuff being made AT ALL.  There hasn't been any game I've enjoyed as much or as long as gb so I'm paying even if the split bombcast thing really rubs me the wrong way. "
No, I'm with you. Giant Bomb is FAR AND AWAY my favorite game site. And if they had a donate button or an actual store I would have given them much more than $50 by now. I sincerely hope that they wouldn't lie to us, however the very fact that they're throwing a damn four hour block party tells me they might be exaggerating their financial woes a bit. 
BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By BD

I feel like this is an NPR yearly fundraiser.  

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Gabriel
If you genuinely want to subscribe, that's great. But don't let them fucking guilt trip you into it. "
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
@Soapy86 said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" @Soapy86 said:
" @bhhawks78 said:

If they had a donate button I would have donated over 50 easily the last two years, but from what dave/ryan have been saying I feel like I'm paying 50 not for hd videos a friday show and then features I won't use, but to keep the other stuff being made AT ALL.  There hasn't been any game I've enjoyed as much or as long as gb so I'm paying even if the split bombcast thing really rubs me the wrong way. "
No, I'm with you. Giant Bomb is FAR AND AWAY my favorite game site. And if they had a donate button or an actual store I would have given them much more than $50 by now. I sincerely hope that they wouldn't lie to us, however the very fact that they're throwing a damn four hour block party tells me they might be exaggerating their financial woes a bit.  "
Yeah dave also just said on the new bombcast "We just bought a ton of new equipment" and The big live live show is actually crazy expensive to produce. So if they were actually in a bad way they would not buy new stuff, not put on the big live live show and some people would be fired.