Dan's growing on me.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By JRM

@dusker: Too bad we can't have Drake on weekly.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#352  Edited By jkz

Man it must be weird reading endlessly thorough dissections of your personality by complete strangers; And I don't even mean that as a slight to people, it's more just weird to think about.

Either way, Dan seems like a cool dude. He gets along well with the rest of the crew on camera, and he's helped them produce some of the most consistently good content they have in a good while, so....I dunno, thumbs up from me!

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got round to listening to the last 3rd of last weeks bombcast and I never heard such awkward bullshit here at Giantbomb before, John Drake should issue an official apology, and I am disapointed at Brad for getting on board. I usually try to refrain from being negative here but if there was a joke it was lost on me, I like Dan for the way he is, thats my 'subjective' opinion. Deal with it.

Also if I wanted to hear someone suck playstations ass I would watch a sony press confrence. I expect better from the bombcast.

Ok, good to get that off my chest. Carry on.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By slindz

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

Finally got round to listening to the last 3rd of last weeks bombcast and I never heard such awkward bullshit here at Giantbomb before, John Drake should issue an official apology, and I am disapointed at Brad for getting on board. I usually try to refrain from being negative here but if there was a joke it was lost on me, I like Dan for the way he is, thats my 'subjective' opinion. Deal with it.

Also if I wanted to hear someone suck playstations ass I would watch a sony press confrence. I expect better from the bombcast.

What....

Do you guys never niggle your friends? Dan clearly didn't/doesn't give a shit about a bit of smacktalk, and he's very good at it himself (Mario Party). It's the exact same thing they did/do to Kessler. And Drake barely even talked about Sony in a business way.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarcasticmudcrab: One thing I will absolutely never understand is people getting this worked up over two people (who you've never met) have, in your eyes, an altercation. Dan is clearly not bothered by it. The majority of people took those segments as what they were, jokey and amiable. How about you leave Dan to be offended, and stop being so sensitive?

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom:
I'm not worked up at all, quite the contrary, I am a very relaxed, reflective....stoned...kind of person. I however have no problem with calling someone out when they are being a dick. Now, I have always been a big fan of Drake, when I started the recent bombcast up I was all like 'fuck yeah GIANTDRAKECAST'. I am a fan. Having said that, charactor assassination is not cool, no matter how you tart it up with the notions of banter.

@slindz: It wasn't amusing or entertaining and didn't come accross as buddy-like at all. If you have to point out you are just joking, as he eventually did, you are doing it wrong. Tbf Drakes shit-talking at the pax panels and stuff is on point, some of the best. I just think he got it wrong on this occasion.

This is my opinion, nothing more.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By Shortbreadtom
poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#358  Edited By poser

This whole situation highlights the double standard that we have created for how man and women should be treated in video game communities.

I think it's easy to dismiss this as a "boys will be boys" situation, but really it's going be a lot easier to treat women with respect when it is no longer considered socially acceptable, for dudes to be assholes to each other! Also it's not like buddies got little rowdy at the pub, this happened on the mother fucking Bombcast... which I'm also not ok with.

But really Drake is a cool guy, but this was a joke that went on too far for too long.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By slindz

@poser said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

This whole situation highlights the double standard that we have created for how man and women should be treated in video game communities.

I think it's easy to dismiss this as a "boys will be boys" situation, but really it's going be a lot easier to treat women with respect when it is no longer considered socially acceptable, for dudes to be assholes to each other! Also it's not like buddies got little rowdy at the pub, this happened on the mother fucking Bombcast... which I'm also not ok with.

But really Drake is a cool guy, but this was a joke that went on too far for too long.

Whattttttttt...........talk about over-complication. How are you guys getting so worked up about friends bantering? Dan clearly doesn't give one shit and is actually friends with and knows these people.

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom: because I am not Dan? I'm confused by your standard of reasoning. If I was discussing a mario game should my opinion be 'must collect coins and jump on goombas'? (assuming that is what mario thinks, I doubt it is).

I am not defending Dan's corner here, I am stating my opinion.

@slindz: Why think a negative opinion is accompanied with being worked up? Is this a teenager thing? I was a chef for 15 years, takes a hellava lot more than something like this to 'work me up'.

It is possible to be critical without being angry. o.o

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#362  Edited By poser

@slindz said:

@poser said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

Whattttttttt...........talk about over-complication. How are you guys getting so worked up about friends bantering? Dan clearly doesn't give one shit and is actually friends with and knows these people.

All I'm saying is if someone did that to a women on this site... there would be a fucking shit storm!

Just because Dan wasn't offended doesn't make it ok.

PS: This quoting system sucks.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarcasticmudcrab:

Are you serious? Dan doesn't care. Why are you saying Drake should apologise? You kind of do have to be Dan to ask for stuff like this. An apology is generally given when one party feels bad because another party is offended. This has nothing to do with your opinion on what happened. It doesn't bother Dan, he's not offended, no apology should be given or demanded. This honestly the most confusing stance I have ever seen on two complete strangers having a jokey altercation.

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom said:

@sarcasticmudcrab:

complete strangers having a jokey altercation.

This is discussion of the giantbombcast, not two complete strangers.

Ok, I'll try make more sense, if it was all jokey jokey then fine, but as I said the joke was lost on me, it came across as harsh and awkward. Maybe I interpreted it wrongly.

Hope that helps.

Avatar image for internetdetective
InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I am only subscribed for Giant Bomb East content. Dan is all over everything from GB West and I don't care for him at all. But my opinion doesn't count, Giant Bomb gonna do what it gonna do.

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him...he is funny, his since of food sucks, and he likes POGs. He gives something that went missing when Vinny left

thallium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Dan's first quick look I thought he was kind of nincompoop. Now after hearing several bombcasts and watching many quick looks and UPFs I still think he's a nincompoop. But I kind of like him. John Drake raking him over the coals on the last bombcast - or was it the one before? - was pretty funny.

By far the funniest stuff is his eating habits.

thallium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poser said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

WTF? Did you go to college?

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Every time that Dan mentions his affinity for Metal Gear, I like him a little more.

I'm still mystified--and sometimes enraged--by the fact that he's managed to survive so long by being as inept as he is. Feels wholly unnatural.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The sole reason I went to Game Informer's website was for Replay each Saturday because of Dan. Since he's been hired, I haven't been to GI once.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jkz said:

Man it must be weird reading endlessly thorough dissections of your personality by complete strangers; And I don't even mean that as a slight to people, it's more just weird to think about.

Either way, Dan seems like a cool dude. He gets along well with the rest of the crew on camera, and he's helped them produce some of the most consistently good content they have in a good while, so....I dunno, thumbs up from me!

Yeah I could never do that, it would just be insanely creepy, especially when you're not some mogul like Jay Z or whatever.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't care for him at first. He seemed very spoiled and un-willing to change. But as time goes by I've found myself enjoying having him on the site. He seems to work well with the rest of the guys and honestly seems like he has a good heart. He won me over when I heard just how much he loved MGS, one of my favorite series of games of all time. I would really be interested in seeing a video segment when he tries 'mystery' food items and see how he reacts once he knows what they are. Also I wonder if we will ever see/hear more from Jason. He seems like a pretty cool guy from what little he's been on the bombcast/videos.

HelloDanni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Dan and I want to hear more about Taco Bell.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#374  Edited By DeadPan

Dan is fine. Nothing more or nothing less. He is not the second coming nor is he horribly bad.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#375  Edited By wealllikepie
HockeyJohnston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan has good taste in games, doesn't seem to hate stuff for no reason at all, and likes to have a good time.

What's not to like? He's a much needed antidote to some of the haterade on the 'cast.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The dude is entertaining. What's not to like?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poser said:

@slindz said:

@poser said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

All I'm saying is if someone did that to a women on this site... there would be a fucking shit storm!

Just because Dan wasn't offended doesn't make it ok.

PS: This quoting system sucks.

Actually, because Dan wasn't offended, maybe don't worry about it. Maybe don't feel the need to be offended for others and project a bunch of overwrought bullshit onto it.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@slindz said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

What....

Do you guys never niggle your friends? Dan clearly didn't/doesn't give a shit about a bit of smacktalk, and he's very good at it himself (Mario Party). It's the exact same thing they did/do to Kessler. And Drake barely even talked about Sony in a business way.

"Matthew Rorie, you are a human piece of shit."-Ryan Davis

Not to mention Dave Lang. huehuehue

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By splodge

@mithhunter55: you miss the point

Hmm not really. Me and my friends call each other horrendous names and abuse each other constantly. It comes from a place of love. What happened on the podcast was no different.

SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: Dude, I'm a chef so abusing each other as a way to show affection is and has always been a daily thing for most of my adult life, like I say, that is not the point.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, I am sure it was all in jest and like I said I must of just not 'got the joke' this time.

Nobody is on fire.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sole reason I went to Game Informer's website was for Replay each Saturday because of Dan. Since he's been hired, I haven't been to GI once.

Ahhh man, there are still a bunch of great people over there, Reiner, Tim Turi and who may be my pick for funniest person in games media Jeff Cork!

finnith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's just so dumb.

That's all I got.

ScotchMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I don't think it's social barriers that are keeping people from eating poop." The mans on to something folks.

Tez79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude's likeable enough, entertaining and fun, but he's nothing special imo. His positivity is refreshing though.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scotchmonkey: BRB gonna get a research grant to figure this out once and for all.

Hopefully I dont have to eat a lot of poop along the way. Unless its for science.

ScotchMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: This kind of science tastes a bit....nutty

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dan talking about college just reminds me of this song

Loading Video...

Avatar image for sheepseaexplorer
sheepseaexplorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Dan's enthusiasm, but his deep ignorance of very basic cultural things is really off-putting. It's actually scary to me to be confronted with a 30 year old American who proudly states that he's never tried (or perhaps had the resources to try?) a huge number of things that I take as fundamental aspects of being a first-world citizen, much less a cultured coast-dweller.

I guess I've just really been spoiled by living in a big east coast city all my life, and maybe middle America is really just that different from us.

That's how I feel about him too. His personality is great but some of the things he says are pretty jarring to me.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#391  Edited By Boiglenoight

Dan has made my wife and I laugh so hard during the commute to work. I don't know if he's genuine or putting on, but his perspective on life in general is amusing.

digiad229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan took a few episodes to get going, but he's definitely hitting his stride as he gets more comfortable on the podcast, and he finds his role within the crew.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Dan revealed that he was trolling people when he said "dorks who read the lore books for games" I was sold on Dan Ryckert and it's only gotten better from there.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Dan revealed that he was trolling people when he said "dorks who read the lore books for games" I was sold on Dan Ryckert and it's only gotten better from there.

He peed on Bob Dole's lawn.

I am awe-struck.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan earned my heart with that Metro Quick Look.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Dan has gotten better and more likeable after every podcast/quick look he does.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Dan is the absolute best.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan hasn't quite reached the level of "must watch if he's in a quick look" but isn't in that category of "must not watch if he's in a quick look". So way to go Dan.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been here since day one, listened to every Bombcast and I think that having Dan onboard is great. He has history with some of the other staff which I believes goes a long way to creating an entertaining podcast and site that is heavily personality driven.

MartinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting Dan was a great move and I really, really like him. He seems like a fun guy :)