Do you, as a premium member, download the commercial free version of the Bombcast?

• 129 results
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jimbo7676

Poll Do you, as a premium member, download the commercial free version of the Bombcast? (910 votes)

Yes, I dislike ads and appreciate the benefit. 32%
No, I like the ads and think they are funny and/or want to support the site in other ways. 69%

I'm just curious how many premium members still download the standard Bombcast. Personally, I find the ads can often be funny (I.E UNLIMITED anime) and if I end up interested in one of the products then I want to have their code to support the site and you get a discount usually. I appreciate Jeff sticking to his promises and making a premium version but I wonder how many subscribers actually download them. I certainly don't fault anyone taking advantage of their premium benefits but I just feel like most people probably don't download it.

• 
jaxxiczek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I always download the non-premium version just because of the hilarious ads.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Ads fo Life.

They feel like they are a part of the podcast and are typically funny.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I used to prefer the free version when Vinny was still on the Bombcast. The whole continuous Smart Business Man thing was entertaining to listen to. Since that stopped I've mainly stuck with the premium feed.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I listened to them for a bit when Small Business Man was still around, but ended up switching to ad-free around the time Brad started doing them. Not because of Brad, but just because banter about the same few companies grew tiring to me, and sometimes those sections felt like they were going on way too long.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Silver-Streak

Some of Brett's bits are the best part of the episode. Why would I cut that out?

Edit: (Also, we'll miss you, Small Business Man)

Loading Video...

Dancing mini-Vinny is never not great.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#106  Edited By arbayer2

The ads, for their presentation, are fine, but personally I don't find the web player for podcasts on the site to be all that helpful, with a small and inaccurate timeline that's very difficult to scrub to a particular point (I do like the skeuomorphism, though). Because of this I often just download the mp3 version in order to enjoy the Bombcasts in installments since I rarely have time anymore these days to spend 3 consecutive hours on entertainment and Firefox occasionally forgets to resume from saved position.

Avatar image for boundforthefloor
BoundfortheFloor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No! Its not about the ads either. I have an older I-pod (Tall rectangle colored aluminum(?) case with the scroll wheel) when I ad the podcast thru the ITunes store, its directly in the podcast section. Downloading the podcast then adding to iTunes then having to scroll thru my huge music library to find the podcast aint worth it. Not to mention my job doesn't promote much down time to be searching thru a giant list.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't download the commercial-free Bombcast, but that's because the RSS feed included other premium podcasts that I didn't care about. I don't know if that's changed since the time I tried the commercial-free Bombcast, but I've gotten used to Brett already.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish every podcast I listened to knew how to make the ads as entertaining as The Bombcast. However, I recently switched over to the premium feed because I just can't listen to any more ads for the half dozen products that advertise on every podcast I listen to any more than necessary anymore.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By Superkenon

I'm here for the extended edition of the Giant Bomb saga.

Avatar image for deactivated-581617d2c6803
deactivated-581617d2c6803

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the ads are read by the guys, I don't mind them. If they ever go to shitty commercials read by some pro voice ad dork I'll download the premium version instead.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I use the IOS version so I get what they give me, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't since not only do I find the ads funny, but I treat listening to the Bombcast like I'm listening to really good talk radio since I mainly listen to it while driving for my job.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the ads, but don't hate them enough to worry about authenticating the podcast feed

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i dont even download the podcasts. i play them on my laptop in browser. usually while making dinner, eat or play games. so its usually spread over 2-4 times. the ads dont bother me so i usually play them with

Avatar image for asparagus_brown
Asparagus_Brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually download the ad-free version.

I'm glad that the crew make their ads pretty fun and palatable to listen to, but I really appreciate the option not to be advertised to.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, mostly cause I'm lazy and already have it setup to download. The ads are usually entertaining though so win win.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm too lazy to download them manually, and for whatever reason my premium RSS feed stopped working. So I just skip the ads or listen to them, no biggie.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

No but not for the reasons you've specified...

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was listening to the freecast and really enjoyed small businessman and unlimited anime. I switched over to the premium podcast after the draft kings ads though, I don't need to be hearing about baseball over and over during my video game podcasts unless it's in the context of Jeff paying too much to watch it.

SamJ5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always listen to the premium versions. Didn't mind the ads at all, really, it's just that with so many hours of podcasts released between the coasts over both weeks my time is stretched to keep up in the first place, so I'm happy to have the slightly-leaner version of each!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By viking_funeral

I used to listen to the ads, but over many months I just got bored of them. The effort seemed to diminish, and the jokes got repetitive. Like all advertising, I guess. Not having ads also saves me a little bit of time during my busy weeks. (Every little bit helps.)

This is the same reason I skip the first 5 minutes of any Quick Look. Rarely do I find that I miss anything important.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Anund

I chose no, but the reasons are not because I like the ads. I don't. The reason is twofold: I am a lazy bastard who hasn't bothered setting up the premium download in my app, and finally, the problem I have with the ads is not the ads themselves, but the breaks they cause in the flow of conversation. I just hate it when, in the middle of an interesting discussion, the conversation is brought to a halt because they want to sell me a mattress. At that point it doesn't matter if I listen to the actual commercial or not, the flow of the podcast has been destroyed.

Admittedly they have gotten better at inserting commercials in natural breaks lately, so it's less jarring. Still, the commercials make this podcast way worse. I wish they would put them at the start and end of the show, not in the middle. Either that, or just record the podcast, then splice them in afterwards, without an actual break in the conversation. This way downloading the premium version might be worth it.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I'm just lazy and listen to the ad version because it's easier. Also the ads are most of the times okay/pretty funny. GB certainly handles ads way better than any other podcast I listen to.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I listen to the ad-free Bombcast/Beastcast and pretty much have since the option appeared. The small business man stuff was funny at first, but ads are ads, and I have no interest when there is an option to avoid them.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

the ads are funny

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like the adds, but I use itunes for my podcasts and can't get premium on there.

Worst of both worlds.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're listening to it for 3 hours, what's 5 minutes?

TheShrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the adds, but I use itunes for my podcasts and can't get premium on there.

Worst of both worlds.

You can put the RSS premium feeds on Itunes and it will download/update normally.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@theshrubber: I have no idea how to use RSS feeds, though I assume it isnt a hard thing to work out.

Thanks for the heads up, being able to have Danswers etc on iTunes would be a godsend.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The ads amuse me, plus I like to hear what they're advertising.

noxxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By noxxm

Yeah I sponsor and listen to the ads. My girlfriend and I have even bought a Casper when they were advertising. Not to mention that without the WiiWare segment I feel like I need something like a skit to fill the void and the ads usually do that.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I. Want. More. Brett.