Do you want to hear the BombCrew talk about Deep Down?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you want to hear the BombCrew talk about Deep Down? (52 votes)

Yes. 46%
No. 25%
Deep Down Wha?! Show results. 29%

Deep Down is flippin' crazy. I was looking forward to hear the guys' takes on it on this week's BombCast. Hell - even Scoops and the Wolf had nothing to say about it. Jeez - usually they're all over crazy nuts games. One way or another.

How much do you want people to talk about Deep Down on podcasts? I certainly wanted a huge helping of such, and got none this week. No mention, not even a single joke! I am so disappointed.How about you? Are you in the market for some Deep Down talk?

Here's some vids to serve as a reminder of what they could have been talking about...

Trailer

Gameplay from the Sony Keynote Stream

Deep Down is some wild shit. From the setting, to being procedurally generated, to targeting bodyparts in real time, to the mystifying online component of parties of three out to stab Dragons in the kneecap - there's loads to talk about. Let's hear it man, I say!

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Elven companion has exploding arrows.

The wiki page

I can get behind this.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

@video_game_king said:

Elven companion has exploding arrows.

The wiki page

I can get behind this.

Que? I mean *Wha'?!*

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By bigdaddy81

I kinda prefer it when they don't talk about the games I'm interested in. And since I'm very interested in Deep Down, I voted "No"

But I am looking forward to coverage from actual gaming enthusiasts here in the forums and from other sites.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

yeah let's just tell them all they need to talk about for the next podcast, that's a great idea

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

That gameplay looks so much like the Souls games. The camera angle, character design, and even the way the corpses move when you walk into them is really reminiscent of those games.The fact that it's randomly generated makes this really intriguing to me. Could be great.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Disappointing this isn't Dragon's Dogma two and has some sci fi angle. Bleh.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

@animasta said:

yeah let's just tell them all they need to talk about for the next podcast, that's a great idea

I'm sure that's something they'd be all over. Us telling them what to do. GiantBomb - it's all about the scripted banter!

@artisanbreads said:

The sci-fi angle is offputting, but I guess they feel they have to have context for all the videogame-ness of their systems - like Assassin's Creed. Though it seems rather crazy and over-the-top. So very Japanese. Sometimes, wierd Japanese sci-fi stuff hits home with me. It still kinda is a spiritual successor. There's a Dragon in a dungeon man. What more do you want?

@spraynardtatum said:

That gameplay looks so much like the Souls games. The camera angle, character design, and even the way the corpses move when you walk into them is really reminiscent of those games.The fact that it's randomly generated makes this really intriguing to me. Could be great.

I love the actively targeting bodyparts mechanic, which seems apparent in the trailer. Some minor aim assist on that gives it away. Almost FPS like precision on that aim. Hell - it could be like the Souls series, just with much more granular controls in combat - adding a sense of *Strategic Dismemberment* to the proceedings. A worthwhile addition if there ever was one.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By McGhee

Yes, it actually looks like a PS4 exclusive to really get excited about.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@seppli said:

@artisanbreads said:

The sci-fi angle is offputting, but I guess they feel they have to have context for all the videogame-ness of their systems - like Assassin's Creed. Though it seems rather crazy and over-the-top. So very Japanese. Sometimes, wierd Japanese sci-fi stuff hits home with me. It still kinda is a spiritual successor. There's a Dragon in a dungeon man. What more do you want?

Yeah, I can't say there's no way I enjoy it but the vibe I'm getting about the sci-fi ain't doing it for me.

And I actually think the game looks good on its own, but if this is what we get and we never get Dragon's Dogma II I'm going to be seriously bummed. Dragon's Dogma is some polish and fleshing out away from being a very, very special RPG series. No other RPG has had battles as enjoyable to play through and that really feel like insane battles with the right scope and physicality. Climbing goes a long way.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By MildMolasses

There's barely anything to talk about. Why would they say much before any of them has even seen more than a trailer and a poorly presented gameplay snippet?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By spraynardtatum

@seppli said:

@animasta said:

I'm sure that's something they'd be all over. Us telling them what to do. GiantBomb - it's all about the scripted banter!

@artisanbreads said:

@spraynardtatum said:

I love the actively targeting bodyparts mechanic, which seems apparent in the trailer. Some minor aim assist on that gives it away. Almost FPS like precision on that aim. Hell - it could be like the Souls series, just with much more granular controls in combat - adding a sense of *Strategic Dismemberment* to the proceedings. A worthwhile addition if there ever was one.

Yeah. I saw they bodypart targeting in the gameplay video and thought that looked great. It fits really well. I can't wait to see more. If the online is smooth and meaningful I could ring a lot of hours out of a game like this.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigjeffrey

Bombcast talk about Video Games? Fuck that.

But that Fire did look pretty.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I will say the possible registering of hits as damage on bodies is something I've been waiting for in games... it's only had some brief appearances in like Dead Island.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli

@artisanbreads said:

@seppli said:

@artisanbreads said:

Yeah, I can't say there's no way I enjoy it but the vibe I'm getting about the sci-fi ain't doing it for me.

And I actually think the game looks good on its own, but if this is what we get and we never get Dragon's Dogma II I'm going to be seriously bummed. Dragon's Dogma is some polish and fleshing out away from being a very, very special RPG series. No other RPG has had battles as enjoyable to play through and that really feel like insane battles with the right scope and physicality. Climbing goes a long way.

Absolutely agree. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen was one of the greatest suprises of the current generation. I'd be extremely bummed if we don't get more of it down the line. However, since I like the Dark Arisen part - Bitterblack Island - the most, which is a giant almost Diablo 1-esque dungeon (sans procedural generation) - Deep Down seems to focus on that style of dungeon, so I'm excited for that aspect of it a lot. Of course I'd rather have a generic Tristram-A-Like as base of operations, rather than New York 2094 - but hell, lore is just a coat of paint (and I might be surprised by how much I end up liking it anyways - there's no way of knowing yet). The gameplay seems mighty promising to me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I was more surprised that Patrick never made a peep about The Evil Within given we finally got an official trailer with gameplay in it. As for Deep Down... sure, I guess. I can't imagine any of 'em will be especially enthusiastic about it, though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli

@yummylee said:

I was more surprised that Patrick never made a peep about The Evil Within given we finally got an official trailer with gameplay in it. As for Deep Down... sure, I guess. I can't imagine any of 'em will be especially enthusiastic about it, though.

True. Him being such a fiend for horror games.

Vinny, Drew, maybe Patrick - who knows, maybe even Jeff, if the stabbin' is good, and the dismemberment is satisfying and over-the-top. Jeff loves his knives! Or was that Gabe?

Edit: What about Rorie? He's an online RPG fanatic! And those monsters in that dungeon looked like a cross between moles and pugs. It's only right to poke them with a pointy stick! Abominations! Rorie - a definite candidate for some Deep Down love.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't wanna tell em what they should or shouldn't talk about.

But I would support an hour of Phantasy Star Nova discussion.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli

@bigdaddy81 said:

I kinda prefer it when they don't talk about the games I'm interested in. And since I'm very interested in Deep Down, I voted "No"

But I am looking forward to coverage from actual gaming enthusiasts here in the forums and from other sites.

You mean because sometimes it's like watching an episode of CSI, where the specific niche of the case is something you have more intimate knowledge about (like, let's say videogames), and then suddenly everything feels super-icky and wrong, tainted by the experience, and you can't watch another episode of CSI for the next couple of years? Or maybe ever?

Also - the almost absolute lack of GTA IV love on yesterday's BombCast was super-icky to me. Too one-sided. The blend is off. They really need to get a GTA IV lover onto the standard BombCast crew. It's like Pepsi and Coke, and right now everyone's Pepsi Light. Some Mexican Coke with Real Sugar! That's what the BombCast needs. It's what we deserve!

Am I talking sense right now? Or what!

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I'd rather just watch a gameplay video.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's barely anything to talk about. Why would they say much before any of them has even seen more than a trailer and a poorly presented gameplay snippet?

It's playable at TGS next week, so yay?! It's been a while since the guys have been to Japan. Guess all we can hope for is Jeff going on his *Raid* soon. Though I doubt that would go hand-in-hand with TGS coverage.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clonedzero

Honestly the Sci-fi angle REALLY kills interest in it for me. Jesus christ. WHY? cus assassins creed did it?

I dont wanna feel like im playing a game inside a game. Thats fucking awful design and writing. STOP IT.