Giantbomb by the word numbers

mafuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By mafuchi

Ever wonder what makes a great game? Fear not, for science has the answers. I did a Linguistical analysis of all the written reviews (361 and counting) on Giantbomb using python and looked at the top usage of: unigram (one word segments) nouns, adjectives and adverbs, simple bigrams (two word segments) and simple trigrams (three word segments). Below are some of the highlights from my work, everything on this list has appeared at least 5 times in reviews. I split the scores up into three groups: bad (one/two stars), OK (three stars), and good (four/five stars). I presented this at PAX to the Giantbomb crew and thought others might wanna see my results too.

*This is a work in process, I'm hoping to get more sweet nuggets of knowledge as time goes on.*

Brad

• Good: “production value”
  • OK: “the fist game”
  • Bad: “Basic”

Jeff

• Good: “technically efficient”, “jet pack” and“rocket launcher”
  • Bad: “it's hard”

Ryan

• Good: “20 hours” and “experience”
  • OK: “the first few”

Vinny

• Good: “fire” ('cause fire is bad ass)

Dave

• Good: “PC” (sadly “Russian” was nowhere to be seen)

Alex

• Good: “variety” and “various”
  • OK: “over and over”

Everyone:

• Good: “grappling hook”, “new” and “good” 
  • Bad: “hard”, “boss fight”
  • Everyone used the adjective 'different' often, no matter what the score was, “frame rate” is also used for any score, but less often.

This does not imply that any game with grappling hooks will get five stars, just that some good games have grappling hooks in them and most importantly all these words are out of context. Though I think it's safe to say Jeff likes rocket launchers.

This is for fun and shouldn't be viewed as proof of anything, least of all my ability to program.

mafuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mafuchi

Ever wonder what makes a great game? Fear not, for science has the answers. I did a Linguistical analysis of all the written reviews (361 and counting) on Giantbomb using python and looked at the top usage of: unigram (one word segments) nouns, adjectives and adverbs, simple bigrams (two word segments) and simple trigrams (three word segments). Below are some of the highlights from my work, everything on this list has appeared at least 5 times in reviews. I split the scores up into three groups: bad (one/two stars), OK (three stars), and good (four/five stars). I presented this at PAX to the Giantbomb crew and thought others might wanna see my results too.

*This is a work in process, I'm hoping to get more sweet nuggets of knowledge as time goes on.*

Brad

• Good: “production value”
  • OK: “the fist game”
  • Bad: “Basic”

Jeff

• Good: “technically efficient”, “jet pack” and“rocket launcher”
  • Bad: “it's hard”

Ryan

• Good: “20 hours” and “experience”
  • OK: “the first few”

Vinny

• Good: “fire” ('cause fire is bad ass)

Dave

• Good: “PC” (sadly “Russian” was nowhere to be seen)

Alex

• Good: “variety” and “various”
  • OK: “over and over”

Everyone:

• Good: “grappling hook”, “new” and “good” 
  • Bad: “hard”, “boss fight”
  • Everyone used the adjective 'different' often, no matter what the score was, “frame rate” is also used for any score, but less often.

This does not imply that any game with grappling hooks will get five stars, just that some good games have grappling hooks in them and most importantly all these words are out of context. Though I think it's safe to say Jeff likes rocket launchers.

This is for fun and shouldn't be viewed as proof of anything, least of all my ability to program.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By beej

I'm glad that jet pack and rocket launcher made the Jeff list. 

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Fearbeard

That was fun to read...

I'm pretty sure the next review I read I'll be looking at slightly different.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

"Production value?" For shame, Brad.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red12b

Well....Grappling hook is pretty damn baddass    

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder
News just in: everyone thinks good games are good.

Erm, seriously though, interesting idea. What did they say when you presented the info to them at PAX?

Also, have you heard of this website? You could just chuck everything in there and create a big tag cloud of stuff they've said in reviews.
duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By duderbattalion
@Mafuchi:  I was curious .. are you using the Giantbomb API to pull your data from their database? I am planning to build a school project based on Giantbomb and am currently trying to learn Django, but am pretty new to Python, so it's a bit of a slow going. Was wondering what the process was .. to get data from Giantbomb and then process it.
dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By dragonzord

You forget 'streamline'. Brad loves that word

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero_
fist game?
mafuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mafuchi
@Venom2112: I had to pull it by hand since I did some specific categorizing, I used the natural language tool kit for my analysis (it's an NLP tool kit for linguists).    
@BeachThunder:  That's an interesting website and it uses some similar techniques, but I require more fine grain control.  I also used a parser that determined what was a noun, adjective and adverb.    
You'd think good games would be good, but the  adjective "good" showed up on some bad , good and OK lists all the same. Point is don't take anything for granted.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

You're doing God's work.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers