Give Bombcast Freedom with Spoilers

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Spiral_Stars

People have been  complaining about having Mass Effect 2's Wrex thing spoiled by Brad in the Bombcast.Subsequently, he spent the next Bombcast having to choose his words far too carefully as to not spoil anything else. The Wrex thing was hardly that big a deal and not so integral to the plot or anything, but now we won't get the Bombcast's cast's entire uncensored opinion about their game experiences, which I found to be one of the more interesting parts of said Bombcast. I say we just let them say whatever the hell they want. I doubt they'd ever spoil anything really important.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By RipTheVeins

I completely agree... and the Wrex thing was barely a spoiler at all, it was just the set-up to the greater story arks that would subsequently open up after finding out what Brad said about Wrex with the character imports.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I didn't think the Wrex thing was really a spoiler but as Ryan said at one point when people started ragging on the Bombcast for spoilers, there's no real set standard for what a spoiler is. I don't think the Bombcast crew should be allowed to say whatever they like because if they wanted I do think they could drop some huge spoilers which is something I seriously don't want and I think a lot of other people don't want. I say just keep things as they are, I trust the Bombcast crew to exercise the right judgment in what it is okay to reveal about a game and what it is not.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I completely agree with Gamer_152.  If they want to talk about things that could potentially be considered as spoilers to other people, they should at least put a time stamp system in place for their podcast.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's weird how people will complain about spoilers on the bombcast and yet on the forums there's a million threads like 'How to do the mission where is Edward Norton is actually Tyler Durden *spoilers inside*' and that's OK.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy
@HandsomeDead said:
" It's weird how people will complain about spoilers on the bombcast and yet on the forums there's a million threads like 'How to do the mission where is Edward Norton is actually Tyler Durden *spoilers inside*' and that's OK. "

The diffrence is that they are clearly marked and can be easily avoided but when you are listenting to a podcast either they dont mention it, in which case it will potentially spoil it, or they will gave a vauge time frame, which is annoying having to manually move when you are listening to it plus its not exact so you may catch the end of the spoilers, or they will edit in after it someone saying something like "To avoid spoilers go to XX:XX", which is still annoying having to manually move but it means you definately avoid spoilers. On the bombcast they should avoid spoliers (which is harder in a sequel since they have commented that a lot of people played the original Mass Effect the week before release) or limit them to the first, for example, hour of the game and perhaps segment it off to a diffrent podcast when its a big enough topic.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I am tight when it comes to spoilers and never had a spoiler issue with the bombcast.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@FluxWaveZ said:
"I completely agree with Gamer_152.  If they want to talk about things that could potentially be considered as spoilers to other people, they should at least put a time stamp system in place for their podcast. "
That wasn't really what I was trying to say. I think there are certain things they should be able to say on the Bombcast, especially when concerning stuff non-essential to the main plot lines in games and content early on in games, I don't want this to get to some silly point where they're going way out of their way to stop spoilers because the large minority complained, I mean I'm sure just about any piece of information about a game could be taken as a spoiler. However if they did have the ability to just say whatever, I think we know that it would have been a very short amount of time before most of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was spoiled and they would have very quickly started talking about the endgame sections of Modern Warfare 2 after that came out (I'm sure there are many more examples than this). I think they know that's not what most people want to be hearing on their podcast and that's the kind of thing I think it's good they keep to themselves.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

Just don't give spoilers for the latest games, but I think it's ok if they talk openly about games from past years.  If you so strongly want to avoid spoilers of old games then you shouldn't even be on the internet.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Shadow

No, I still think it was fucked up.  It was over 2 weeks before the launch of the game.  I mean come on.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

You know what... if you don't want to hear about Mass Effect 2 then turn it the fuck off when they say "let's talk about Mass Effect 2."  It is on Bioware for putting that info out there and if you are mad about that take it up with them, but don't be angry when Mass Effect 3 comes around and they're tight lipped about details.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman
@Shadow said:
" No, I still think it was fucked up.  It was over 2 weeks before the launch of the game.  I mean come on. "
Who cares? It doesn't alter your experience of the game at all. 

People need to get over this whole spoilers thing. Spoilers suck. I know and I agree. But stuff like this doesn't change your experience. I would hate for the guys not to speak their mind because a bunch of whiners can't deal with knowing ANYTHING about a game.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By Symphony
@Pazy said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" It's weird how people will complain about spoilers on the bombcast and yet on the forums there's a million threads like 'How to do the mission where is Edward Norton is actually Tyler Durden *spoilers inside*' and that's OK. "
The diffrence is that they are clearly marked and can be easily avoided but when you are listenting to a podcast either they dont mention it, in which case it will potentially spoil it, or they will gave a vauge time frame, which is annoying having to manually move when you are listening to it plus its not exact so you may catch the end of the spoilers, or they will edit in after it someone saying something like "To avoid spoilers go to XX:XX", which is still annoying having to manually move but it means you definately avoid spoilers. "
I think you're missing the point of what he's saying -- there are plenty of threads with spoilers IN THE TITLE and then tack on a *spoiler warning* after the fact. It's hard to avoid thread titles that just show up on the main forum page. I'm pretty sure there's been one or two recently that contained spoilers in the name.. Heck, I recall a friend of mine throwing a fit over one.

PS: Holy shit is that ever a run-on sentence. Was trying to narrow down the quote to the first sentence in your post >.>
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadow
@Milkman said:
" @Shadow said:
" No, I still think it was fucked up.  It was over 2 weeks before the launch of the game.  I mean come on. "
Who cares? It doesn't alter your experience of the game at all.   People need to get over this whole spoilers thing. Spoilers suck. I know and I agree. But stuff like this doesn't change your experience. I would hate for the guys not to speak their mind because a bunch of whiners can't deal with knowing ANYTHING about a game. "
I still fully enjoyed reading the Half Blood Prince after being told that Snape kills Dumbledore.  That doesn't mean it was alright to tell me that.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin

I love the Giantbomb guys, but I think they're pretty liberal with their spoilers.  I think I actually know how Assassin's Creed 2 ends just from the snippets they talk about on the podcast.  Not only have I not played Assassin's Creed 2, I haven't played Assassin's Creed 1.  I barely know anything about the fiction or the games, but I figured out how it ended from their conversations.

@HatKing said:

" You know what... if you don't want to hear about Mass Effect 2 then turn it the fuck off when they say "let's talk about Mass Effect 2."
Fair enough.  Actually exactly what I did.  When I heard them start talking about it I skipped way ahead.  The next week when they were all collectively sighing about the internet and how upset it was about spoilers, I figured I made the right call.  

@HatKing said:
"It is on Bioware for putting that info out there and if you are mad about that..."
I actually am.  I feel like Bioware released way too much information about this game before it was out.  I basically went on media blackout for it, and I'm glad I did.   

@Milkman said:
"Who cares? It doesn't alter your experience of the game at all.   People need to get over this whole spoilers thing. Spoilers suck. I know and I agree. But stuff like this doesn't change your experience. I would hate for the guys not to speak their mind because a bunch of whiners can't deal with knowing ANYTHING about a game. "
I disagree.  The end result might have been me loving the game as much as I do now, but I was so much more excited to be playing it the first time I popped it in because it was a completely fresh experience.  I knew almost nothing about it.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking
@EvilTwin said:
"I love the Giantbomb guys, but I think they're pretty liberal with their spoilers.  I think I actually know how Assassin's Creed 2 ends just from the snippets they talk about on the podcast.  Not only have I not played Assassin's Creed 2, I haven't played Assassin's Creed 1.  I barely know anything about the fiction or the games, but I figured out how it ended from their conversations.

@HatKing said:
" You know what... if you don't want to hear about Mass Effect 2 then turn it the fuck off when they say "let's talk about Mass Effect 2."
Fair enough.  Actually exactly what I did.  When I heard them start talking about it I skipped way ahead.  The next week when they were all collectively sighing about the internet and how upset it was about spoilers, I figured I made the right call.  

@HatKing said:
"It is on Bioware for putting that info out there and if you are mad about that..."
I actually am.  I feel like Bioware released way too much information about this game before it was out.  I basically went on media blackout for it, and I'm glad I did.  "

I got to be honest I don't think the things they released really needed to be released... I wish they would have kept their lips shut about Wrex and just gave us a "maybe" when asked if he returned.  I think certain parts of the game would have had way more impact on me if they didn't tell everybody about them.  Still, it hasn't destroyed the game for me in the least, there have still been plenty of "omg" moments that I wasn't expecting.  It was hard to avoid the information on this game with sites like IGN having cover stories running with giant text reading "GARRUS RETURNS!" that was pretty much when I gave up hope of dodging all the details of the game and relied on Bioware's better judgment to save the big stuff for the game... which they have.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By breadfan

I don't mind spoilers as much if the game's story still holds up as a result. Take Bioshock for instance. I knew just about every major plot point that was going to happen and I still got just as much out of it because it was well executed. 

If someone is really that intent on avoiding spoilers, then they should just avoid any major video game website, podcast, or whatever.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Spiral_Stars
@EvilTwin said:
" I love the Giantbomb guys, but I think they're pretty liberal with their spoilers.  I think I actually know how Assassin's Creed 2 ends just from the snippets they talk about on the podcast.  Not only have I not played Assassin's Creed 2, I haven't played Assassin's Creed 1.  I barely know anything about the fiction or the games, but I figured out how it ended from their conversations.

The only thing I've heard them say about AC2's ending is that it blew their mind.

I find the Bombcast to be pretty good about spoilers. They never really say anything you wouldn't normally find otherwise just from going on gaming sites or watching media. And even still,  nothing they say ever really ruins the game for me.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bionicicide

Then I'd start listening less if I have to worry about spoilers.

Curval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Curval

I don't really think the Wrex thing was a big time spoiler.  I think it was annouced way earler he'd be back in part 2.  Bioware themselves spoiled a possible ending to ME2 so it's stuff that will be out there.  As far as spoilers in anything as long as they don't give away the ending to a game or reveal any major plot twist then I have no problem with whoever talking about what happens in a game.  If you're someone that just can't have anything spoiled then you need to unhook your internet and as said above never go to a gaming website of any kind.  Another thing to avoid are the TV ads.  I've seen a few game ads that show final bosses or even chunks from the ending.  Condenmed 2 comes to mind and there was another one more recently but I can't remember what it was right now. 

Mass Effect 2 Spoilerz omg!!@!! 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Turambar

When the "spoiler" contains information that the game designers themselves are consciously putting out, wanting as many people to pick up as possible, I have no problems with the Bombcast crew "spoiling" me to their hearts' content.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By frankxiv

i think it would be cool if we saw more dedicated bombcasts for big games, like the giant spoiler snakecast, which i listened to recently and it made me want to play through mgs4 again

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By admordem

I guess you could ask the guys to talk about spoiler sensitive material at the end part of the show... but getting all upset about the guys doing their job is just stupid.
They report on games. And that includes reporting the direct information given from developers and publishers to their audience. The devs do a Press Statement on a game, these guys report it... 

If you are bothered or upset at all about any spoilers with ME2, your gripe is with Bioware, and you should expend your energy on their forums if you actually want your points to have a chance to affect anything ever. 

I would like a better definition on what a spoiler is though. I for one DO want to here these guys discuss the endings and crazy or crucial parts of games. In detail. Fair enough the first month might be a bit to soon to be talking about it openly, but after 4 weeks... the people who really care have most likely played it by then. I think any longer than that and the guys, and myself, are not going to remember as much, or be as passionate about crazy parts of the game, as we were around the time of actually playing it. 

Curval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Curval

@AdMordem: 

I agree with you.  People need sometime to finish a game and especially with reviewers sometimes getting advance copies they should wait to discuss story and such.  I think a few weeks is long enough to give people time to finish a game.  Just when they go to talk about the game and OMG spoilers they should say so then if you don't want to hear them turn the podcast off.   

But what makes a spoiler?  Some people could say it's anything they don't know about a game being revealed, but that's silly.  I think of spoilers as being story related.   

Major spoilers are story reveals or major plot twists coming out.  

Minor spoilers which seem to be what people are getting all bent out of shape about are just that minor.   

I want to go back to the Wrex thing as an example.  Just saying Wrex is in the game is just a minor spoiler.  I heard the podcast  where it was talked about and it wasn't a big deal.  But if Brad had said Wrex is in the game and guess what he's the final boss for whatever reason I could see people getting upset.  BTW I havent played ME2 so if that really happens my mistake for ruining it.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cooljammer00

Just remember that they are games journalists, who could potentially get copies of games earlier than most regular people who would listen to the site.  You don't even have the oft-used excuse of "Well then you should have played it, fag!"  

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By vasta_narada
@cooljammer00: This was already touched on in one of the earlier posts >_> It's not like they talked about how Wrex is actually a Freed Borg and took over the galaxy in the name of the Federation at the end of ME2.

In my opinion, the definition of a spoiler is the displaying of important/critical points in a narrative. I have a friend who has literally refused to play a game because of a spoiler fitting my description. However, he is totally fine with me talking about random things in Mass effect 2 (a game he is eagerly waiting to obtain and play), such as Grunt, or the Wrex-thing, or even about points in a teamate's personal story.  If it doesn't destroy a plot's main narrative, I don't consider it a spoiler. Also, in case you were wondering, yes, I also despise spoilers.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By trophyhunter

OOPS I ACCIDENTALLY THIS WHOLE POST. (NeoSHODAN, your friendly, neighborhood staff)

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By immike

I agree, I really don't care what they say in the bombcast. It's supposed to be interesting. If you don't wanna hear about a game, then turn the damn thing off. I understand if they are just giving away the ending, but they are clearly not. I'm just glad that someone has access to games early that can relay that information back to me for free. I want them to say whatever they damn well please.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By CharleyTony

The best thing to do would be to write in the show notes at what point you talk in depth about a specific game and write a spoiler warning there if you feel that the conversation did talk about stuff that should not be mentionned. You don't want to listen to a podcast where people hesitate and don't talk... 

But you have to know that when you listen to a gaming podcast, spoilers are alwaays an issue and we have to live with it. 
YOu might also want to consider that you can't play all the games in the world and I like it when someone can talk about a game's ending if it is cool. I dont have a Wii and when Brad told the punch at the end of Silent Hill Shattered Memories, I was really glad I didn't miss out on that game even though I might never play it.
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jking47
@trophyhunter: wow
that was a dick move
what was the point of that? besides making yourself look like a total prick i mean

I have a burning hatred for spoilers, aslong as they are actual, main storyline plot twists/turns or something. Little things are no big deal, but if your gonna put something major in just put some sort of spoiler warning.
Then you get to make fun of whoever gets angry.
Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow said:
I still fully enjoyed reading the Half Blood Prince after being told that Snape kills Dumbledore."

WTF spoilers :)
ArchV1le

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArchV1le

I prefer their podcasts dedicated to specific games for spoiler discussions (such as the Modern Warfare 2cast). This allows them to avoid pissing people off, talk in detail about the finer details of the story, and people who don't care about the game at all can ignore the conversation all together. I would love for them to do a Mass Effect 2cast for me to listen to once I finish up the last couple missions. 

Also, I didn't think the Wrex thing was a big deal 

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Mushir

This topic is full of goddamn spoilers!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Diamond

I'd strongly prefer the Bombcast stay super censored with spoilers.  Hell, censor all major spoilers for a year or more!

However, the Mass Effect spoilers they gave out didn't bother me.  That level of spoiler is OK.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I'd prefer to not have to worry about any spoilers in the Bombcast. Sometimes I let it run while I'm going to sleep and I don't want to have to jump out of bed to stop or fast forward it if I'm about to hear something I don't want to.