How do you listen to the bombcast and other podcasts?

• 64 results
Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been thinking lately... I know a lot of people who all have different methods of listening to podcasts, while doing different things, sometimes on different devices.

Personally, most of the time I've listened to them while doing something somewhat repetitive or grindy in a game. Mostly MMO's actually. Sometimes for a few months at a time I either play a lot of games that don't work well for podcasts, or don't play hardly any games at all. Occasionally while doing something like cleaning I'll listen to it on my phone. But sometimes (particularly lately) I've just sat at my desktop, listening, while playing minesweeper.

That seems really unproductive to me! Aside from beating my former score at minesweeper (currently at 149 seconds on expert), I've been sitting in a chair for an hour and a half doing really nothing (well I did drink some beer). I could've been doing at least something while listening (though I'm kind of jaded by the state of current MMO's so grindy content isn't working).

So to remedy this, people tell me what you do while listening to podcasts such as the giant bombcast, and if you don't listen to it just on a pc what do you listen to it on?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Usually grinding in a game or doing a Spelunky run. Sometimes when I'm doing dishes. Pretty soon it'll be the season for shoveling the driveway. Other times I'll watch a baseball or hockey game with the commentary on mute. Because of the way the conferences are divided up my favourite Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers tend to have games on the west coast or timed to be convenient for west coast TV, so they start roughly the same time the bombcast goes up. Living out east it'd be crazy for me to watch a game that ends at 1 or 2 AM then start listening to a 3 hour podcast.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

In the car, driving to work.

In a couple weeks my daily drive will be 60 miles shorter, so podcast time is a very serious thing I need to plan out.

Edit: Ok, new commute. I have NO idea when I'll sit down and listen to these things.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Driving and exercising. Both things that are necessary that I hate and podcasts make them better.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

My girlfriend works with me but her shift is an hour before mine. So I just listen to it then and on my breaks/lunch. In the past I would get a French vanilla and some donuts and chain smoke at a Tim Horton's.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reverendk

It's pretty simple really. I dim the lights, make a tasty snack, and then prostrate myself in front of my wall sized portrait of Vinny which is the key component in my video production team shrine.

It's also from whence I'm able to summon immense amounts of Drew hype.

No Caption Provided

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

In a couple weeks my daily drive will be 60 miles shorter, so podcast time is a very serious thing I need to plan out.

Some weeks those 66 miles per day of podcast are the closest I get to peace. I hope you figure something out duder.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Mostly I just queue up a couple of MBMBaM episodes or a Giant Bombcast and start playing something mindless like CoD multiplayer or some Diablo.

When I lived with a girlfriend, I scheduled it around the day I had off when she was at work. Nowadays, I just do it whenever I feel like catching up.

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doing a Spelunky run.

I listened to a lot of podcasts while playing Spelunky, after a certain point the audio wasn't particularly necessary for me, though that game still has great music (dat jazzy tune in the Ice Caves is #1 track prove me wrong). Super Meat Boy was my podcast game before that, and Dota 2 is my current podcast game.

Also, I used to listen to the Bombcast a lot in bed, in Ireland it would usually only be posted around 11 or 12 pm and nothing can get me quite as sleepy as the dulcet tones of Brad Shoemaker.

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen while doing my gym shit. By that I mean working out, not going to a gym and then pooing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I usually take a walk after work and that's when I take most of my time to listen to podcasts. Only rarely do I play games which let me listen to anything else while playing.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

On the bus downtown or when I'm doing something mindless that doesn't require much focus

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only time I ever listen to podcasts is when I'm browsing the internet or playing a game where I don't need the sound coming from that game e.g. MMOs, grinding in RPGs, training mode in fighting games, etc etc.

tildebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

usually while playing spelunky, sometimes while driving, walking, or riding the bus. Listening to podcasts in public is weird though because I laugh at them and laughing by yourself in public isn't cool because the world is a messed up place.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I commute 45 minutes to school and work so I start and end it there, but if I'm in the library or work is slow, I'll pop it in for a few. It's great when things get hilarious on the podcast and I spill beer over myself.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to any music or podcast I want at work, so I started from the beginning and have been working my way up. I'm now into the late 2010 bombcasts. It's great, love hearing Ryan again.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Usually when I'm walking, driving somewhere, or shopping. I can't focus on podcasts while playing games or working like some people can.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In the car, usually. I've just stuck yesterday's Bombcast on a pen drive and in approximately 20 minutes will be listening to it going through a car wash.

My car gets washed twice a year whether it needs it or not...

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mosespippy said:

doing a Spelunky run.

I listened to a lot of podcasts while playing Spelunky, after a certain point the audio wasn't particularly necessary for me, though that game still has great music (dat jazzy tune in the Ice Caves is #1 track prove me wrong). Super Meat Boy was my podcast game before that, and Dota 2 is my current podcast game.

Also, I used to listen to the Bombcast a lot in bed, in Ireland it would usually only be posted around 11 or 12 pm and nothing can get me quite as sleepy as the dulcet tones of Brad Shoemaker.

The problem with playing Spelunky and listening to podcasts is that you do a couple trash runs, then get on a good run that lasts 99+ minutes. The podcast usually ends before the run does, and transitioning to a silent room or stopping to put on something else can break your flow.

And that's the problem with Spelunky. You might accidentally have a 2 hour run, and if the vita goes to sleep it won't post the score, so you got to finish it off in that sitting. Who has that kind of time? My best score (1 330 800) isn't on the leaderboard because of it.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the bus, cleaning, washing dishes, playing games, making food. You know, pretty much always.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I typically use my sense of sound to listen to the podcast. You see this is how ist works:

When we detect sounds, or noise, our body is changing the energy in sound waves into nerve impulses which the brain interprets. SOUND WAVES are produced when the air is mechanically disturbed.

Sound is measured by its:
- frequency - This is the pitch (high or low) of a sound -- the number of complete sound wave cycles each second. High frequency noises are more damaging to hearing than low frequency noises.
- intensity - This is the loudness of a sound. It's measured in decibels (dB).

When we hear a sound, this is what actually takes place:

1. SOUND WAVES enter the ear canal and cause the eardrum to vibrate.
  2. VIBRATIONS pass through 3 connected bones in the middle ear
  3. This motion SETS FLUID MOVING in the inner ear.
  4. Moving fluid bends thousands of delicate hair-like cells which convert the vibrations into NERVE IMPULSES.
  5. Nerve impulses are CARRIED to the brain by the auditory nerve
  6. In the brain, these impulses are CONVERTED into what we "hear" as sound.
VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just commuting around. Or when I'm in the store to buy groceries. Stuff that requires minimal brain activity. I could never properly concentrate on listening to a podcast while playing a game too.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drive about 100 miles a day for work. Lots of time to listen to podcasts.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: What happens next? How does the sound from my ear relate to my idea of that sound? Can I really know the sound or just my perception of it?

Think twice before speaking to a philosophy major ;)

JestaMcMerv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually on long drives or when commuting to work on Stitcher.

Avatar image for bestintheworld013
bestintheworld013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a shit job (elementary school custodian) so i primarily listen on my phone at work. Also, sometimes while grinding in a game. Thanks fellas for helping me get by!

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

With my ears, on my computer.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In transit or doing chores. I can usually stretch it out until the following Friday or Saturday. Oh and on an iPod! (sorry rorie)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

Usually downloaded using a podcast app on my phone. I firstly will listen to the Bombcast when driving, then when doing work from home, then when playing a game where the story or characters aren't that important to me, then when doing house work.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely nude. Covered in butter. Rich, creamy butter.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I download the podcast to my tablet and phone and sit there and listen to it. If I have to stop it and go somewhere I keep going with my phone.

Avatar image for jonathanashleym
JonathanAshleyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falling asleep. I literally fall asleep to the Bombcast on the daily.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By fattony12000

I listen to them at work, at home or whilst travelling between those two places.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use Outcast on my phone, then listen mostly in the car. My work day is usually at least a couple hours per day just driving from place to place.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exercising and driving. The longer the podcast is and the more podcasts they put out the more I exercise. Ending Alt+F1 means I will exercise less, so try to live with that Drew. You jerk.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to the podcast while out on long runs. Helps the miles click by!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@belegorm said:

@monkeyking1969: What happens next? How does the sound from my ear relate to my idea of that sound? Can I really know the sound or just my perception of it?

You can't know anything! We are likely all listening and/or interpreting something different in every case!!!

If you add in alternate universes, anything and everything is/has/will be said. There is even a universe in which everything Dan says make sense.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Spelunky, BoI, Dark Souls.. pretty much any games that don't require me to concentrate on story that I can zone out and feel my way through. I don't drive so podcasts are great for walking or the bus. I also listen while I'm exercising, and if I'm alone while I do household shit like the dishes. I listen to a lot of podcasts so pretty much where ever there's an auditory hole I can fit them in.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a few months a while back Just Cause 2 was my go to podcast game, but anything mindless works just as well. Right now it's a mixture between Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, and Binding of Issac: Rebirth.

Edit: God damn, I WISH I could listen to them at work while doing some of the most dull shit.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to listen to it while playing spelunky, lately though its been diablo 3

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually listen to old/current bombcast while playing non story intensive games and reading, although I will generally put on a random episode as I fall asleep (more relaxing to me than just white noise like a fan)

mderbs311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mderbs311

I work on a production line at a warehouse where I am usually at one spot for a couple hours at a time. We are allowed to listen to headphones with one ear in, and im basically just standing and checking cap seals so I listen exclusively at work! It works out great because I can usually listen to at least 2 a day, listening to the most current one and then when that one is finished working my way through the past 6 years worth. I just download around 6 or 8 of em to my phone and queue them up in poweramp and let 'er rip! Im just about to finish 2008!

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

This just happened to me. I was living about 60 miles from work, which was anywhere between 1hr 15 minutes to 2 hr drive time, with it getting up to 3 hrs during the craziest times (holiday + bad weather). I moved and i'm now about 17 miles from work, so i have about 30 mins of drive time. My phone has filled up with podcasts I no longer have time to listen to.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nowadays, podcasts are my WoW playing soundtracks.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just whenever I'm out and about I listen to it on the iphone. After Patrick's recent recommendation of Overcast for podcasts, it's gotten less painful than Apple's own podcast app.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By csl316

@csl316 said:

This just happened to me. I was living about 60 miles from work, which was anywhere between 1hr 15 minutes to 2 hr drive time, with it getting up to 3 hrs during the craziest times (holiday + bad weather). I moved and i'm now about 17 miles from work, so i have about 30 mins of drive time. My phone has filled up with podcasts I no longer have time to listen to.

It's truly a first world problem.

Alt+F1 just ended and I was sad, but a part of me went "whew... one less thing."

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing LoL Co Op Vs Ai/Diablo 3

or whilst travelling

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I also often do it while playing something grindy, like Rogue Legacy or Borderlands. I also used to listened in the gym, while walking or weightlifting...

Other than that, I just listen while whatever. I don't have long commutes to work, so I can't really save stuff for then...