chronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By chronix

Layout of the sandwich (as per Bennigans recipe):
- Powdered sugar (sprinkled after fried)
- Wheat Bread
- Ham
- Turkey
- Swiss cheese
- American cheese
- Wheat bread
- Ham
- Turkey
- Swiss cheese
- American cheese
- Wheat bread

Bennigans would cut it in half (diagnally) fry the two halfs separately, and cut those in half and serve.  [In case you are curious/want to make one, the batter consists of: 1.5 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, 2/3 cups water.  Put the batter around the 2 pieces, and wrap in seran wrap and put in fridge for an hour or longer (to soak into the bread) before frying].  Bennigan's made the mistake of serving it without powdered sugar once and I personally found it tasted very strange (though I was used to the taste by then) I had to get them to bring me some.  Yes it did sound odd when I first ordered it, but I liked all the ingredients so I went at it. 

My friend and I use to go to Bennigan's, eat a pick 3 appetizer and each buy a monte cristo and finish all of it without regret.  The times we most regretted it were the first couple times, and any time we had a lunch that was sizable before visiting Bennigans for dinner :)

Bennigan's went out of business so my fiance and I make them at home now.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Kiemoe

Something tells me I should eat this. And I didn't even know Bennigans existed for the longest time, I thought it was a made up place for that episode of South Park :P

chronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chronix

Bennigan's went out of business :( All of the local ones here closed, even though some held on for several months alone. 

Also note that if it is on the menu, ask if its like this or if it is the version that isn't fried and is just the sandwich with french toast bread.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Milkman

I could totally go for one of those right now.

Eldara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Eldara

My Fiance failed to mention you have to deep fry it at 345º for 3 1/2 minutes on each side (7 total minutes flip it in between) if anyone wants to try the recipe at home :P

chronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chronix

I could really go for one now...