Thinking of becoming a premium member on the site

zpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By zpa

So I am thinking that once I get some more money I'm going to become a premium member here.

Worth it?

zpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zpa

So I am thinking that once I get some more money I'm going to become a premium member here.

Worth it?

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By UlquioKani

Yes

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Yeah, there's a great backlog of premium content.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

Fo' sho'.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By DjCmeP

If the staff keeps bumping the same amount of content per week like the past two months then sure. There were 2-3 months a while ago when there really wasn't much new premium content. Go for it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

You should totally premium your membership. Then you can premium your content and get on the Jar Train.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

No, it might cause you to start making PDFs of everything.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes

Yes. Besides the premium content (that I admit is not so great or often), the possibility to download any video on the site is worth the price of admission alone.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SomeJerk

The backlog is freaking amazing.. even though I've forgotten what they called that Friday live show you need to check those out from start to finish

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dungbootle

It's pretty kickin'

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

There's a lot of really good premium content, and I like being able to watch archives of TNT and other live shows in HD, since I don't watch them live.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Mister_V

It's worth it just for Drew's holiday photos. But yeah premium is worth it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By BBAlpert

If nothing else, I'd say that the new "Unprofessional Friday" segment looks like it'll be worth it.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By villainy

There are currently two things making me consider not resubscribing later this year:

1. A not-insignificant portion of users (myself included) have been having serious issues with the video player and overall video performance for quite a while now making it difficult to partake of the premium content. The bug reporting forum is full of reports. If you watch everything on YouTube now you may not be aware and I suggest testing the site player during peak hours to see if you are currently affected. This will hopefully be resolved with the impending site redesign and change in video hosting.
  2. Since the Whiskey breakup there has been a serious lack of customer support. Again, there are multiple bug reporting threads from users with billing problems who go weeks without any response from the official support channels. I haven't been affected by this personally and it's unlikely you will be but I can't support a company who doesn't support its customers. My hope is that when the dust clears from the redesign the crew can step back and bust some balls at CBSi to get some support staff allocated to handle this stuff. It shouldn't be the crew's job to take care of customer support like that, that's why they're backed by a corporation.

The crew themselves and the content both regular and premium are totally worth supporting. Sure sometimes Jeff is overly cynical, Ryan is an asshole, Brad is too indecisive, Patrick is too long winded, and Vinny... well Vinny and Drew are perfect human beings and should represent the species when we make first contact. The community here is surprisingly respectful overall as well. I really like it here and I hope those two problems get sorted out so I can continue feeling good about throwing money at the site.

My 2 cents.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nightriff

Yes for the backlog alone it is worth it

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By gkhan

@villainy said:

There are currently two things making me consider not resubscribing later this year:

1. A not-insignificant portion of users (myself included) have been having serious issues with the video player and overall video performance for quite a while now making it difficult to partake of the premium content. The bug reporting forum is full of reports. If you watch everything on YouTube now you may not be aware and I suggest testing the site player during peak hours to see if you are currently affected. This will hopefully be resolved with the impending site redesign and change in video hosting.

Here's what I do: hover your mouse over the "Download" icon under a video, right click "HD" (or whatever quality you want) and copy the link, open VLC, press Ctrl+N (i.e. open network stream), paste it, and then BAM!, you favorite Giant Bomb video, playing in VLC. I only wish all internet videos could play in VLC (thankfully you can do it with YouTube, just copy the YouTube URL into VLC).

Describing it makes it sound more complicated than it is, it takes two seconds, and then you have the best possible media experience.

EDIT: Also: yes, totally subscribe! The content is so worth it, you haven't lived until you've seen Vinny and Dave play through Phantasmagoria.