What are your opinions on the second hand podcast business?

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBlindChessman

This topic has created a lot of controversy lately so I thought I see what you guys think about it. 

Is second hand podcast selling harming the industry?

I agree with Ryan Davis of Giantbomb, and I don't see why we shouldn't be able to re-sell digital products in the same way that we re-sell cars. As he said, it's a consumer rights issue. People may claim that when I trade my podcasts in I'm stopping the content makers from making money, but I fund my podcasting habit by trading in the podcasts that I've already listened to. If I weren't able to trade in podcasts then I would be able to buy as many new.

What do you think of the controversial PodStop stores, is it right that they're selling the Bombcast for $4 dollars when it's only a dollar more new? Should some of that money go back to Whiskey Media?

And what do you think of all of the DRM that is being used to try and prevent people from re-selling their podcasts, is it justified or over kill that only harms legitimate podcast buyers? I can see why they do it, but if I were do get my podcasts from sites like Pirate Bay I know that it wouldn't have any of the DRM.

RobertFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RobertFoster

I see what you did there...

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Anthony

I love used podcast stores. Too bad Wal-Mart run them out of business

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By priorityseven
@TheBlindChessman:   Pathetic.
TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheLastNeo

Honeslty, the thought of thebombcast being broken up , and me hearing 1 hour of current content, and 1 hour of 1 week old news, or just being behind an entire week is just nuts... 

I figured 5 bucks a month was totally worth it. 

They make my commutes so much more enjoyable for sure...