How do you feel when a game breaks the forth wall?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

For me If it's done right I can find it to be funny. Like in mgs when Phycho Mantis is aware of the player. It would be cool if more games starts doing it, just for shits and giggles.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By XenoNick

Depends on the game and when they do it. I find it funny more often then not though.

lubermans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In most cases, I feel like its a little cheap, but yeah depends on the tone of the game. Proper execution is difficult I guess

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By development

It's the same joke every time. I always hate it.

I see it as extremely lazy humor; and if it's in an indie game I usually immediately write the developer off as having terrible humor. Almost synonymous with "programmer humor" to me. It's very "internet" or "meme"-like in its appeal, I think, which is why it grates on me so much.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of the time it's pretty cringe worthy but sometimes it works, depends on the game and the writing. No More Heroes had some good fourth wall breaking moments. But I hate, hate, hate, HATE it when a character in a game says stuff like "Man, this is almost like in one of them VIDEOGAMES". Urgh...

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If it's lazy shit like the stuff in the "Killer is Dead" Quick Look then fuck that. The example you cited of Psycho Mantis in MGS is possibly one of my favourite video game moments though.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hit or miss. I would love to play a game without any fourth walls whatsoever, though.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

Same as film, it really depends on how it's used. Being meta can be fun but it has it's limits. Like in "Once upon a time"; the first episode this season Neil references to Mulan that there was a movie made about her.

That was a bit much to me.

But again its dependent on how it's handled. I've seen it done in really fun and clever ways before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's super hit or miss, and by that I mean it's almost always guaranteed a miss. I really liked the Psycho Mantis sequences, but it's way too easy a concept to fuck up. It needs to be something interesting and creative, not just, "hey guys, video games, am I right?"

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

Like others said, it's hit and miss, but I think it's also contextual. Something like Disgaea that's crazy and over the top and knows that it's cray and over the top can get away with it (most of the time), but it's not really trying to pretend to be a serious world. But I've seen plenty of 4th wall breaking in games that otherwise try to take its world seriously in one way or another and that's often where I find it falls flat.

The Psycho Mantis part is pretty cheesy and I don't know if I'd necessarily consider it a great example, but it also has some novelty to how it was presented that lets them get away with it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It can work if done well. Tropes are not bad and all that.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clonedzero

VERY rarely is it done well. Yeah it can be done, but usually it comes off lame and annoying.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I get pissed! I keep paying out the ears to have them come in and fix my damn walls and every couple months some dick head game comes along and breaks it again. I'm getting real damn tired of it.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moderation and when the scene doesn't call for it, Like the head shake Snake gives in MGS. I'd rather they'd be blunt with it though than just allude to the real world. Like that bit in DMC with the hair, eye rolling for the worst reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's the same joke every time. I always hate it.

I see it as extremely lazy humor; and if it's in an indie game I usually immediately write the developer off as having terrible humor. Almost synonymous with "programmer humor" to me. It's very "internet" or "meme"-like in its appeal, I think, which is why it grates on me so much.

You are the type of person I do not understand. How can you be so cynical and jaded? If it's funny, it's funny. If it's not, it's not. But it sounds like whenever 4th wall stuff happens you shit your pants and hate everything related to it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

When it's understated it's pretty good.

In Nier there was a quest to repair a broken sword, but in NG+ since you already have the sword MC gets really confused and the floating book just tells him to roll with it, cause these things happen.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#17  Edited By Svenzon

I like it a lot when it's done right, but hate it when it's done badly, which is most of the time. When Kojima did it in Metal Gear Solid 1, it was cool and funny. In MGS2, he just went totally overboard with it. Many developers seem to think that's the way to do it, which is a shame. Nowadays it's mostly dumb shit like the main character in Blood Dragon screaming about how he hates tutorials. Stuff like that can really bring a game down for me.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By Raven10

I almost always hate it. Probably the worst parts of the MGS series to me are all the fourth wall breaking scenes. It's like the whole series is so overly serious and then they do something like that and it just ruins the mood for me.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazybagman: I would love for someone to explain to me what's wrong with being "jaded." It makes the stuff you *do* like that much better, and that much better when you find people who agree with you. This world some people live in where everything is hilarious just strikes me as depressing. It's good to have some hate to make the good even better. I should say, though, when I say "write them off," I don't mean *completely.* They can still redeem themselves, but -- as with any bad joke -- they've hurt their comedic integrity.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very rarely done well. Not impossible to do well, but very hard. How annoying it is depends on the game. It's less jarring when done by a game like, say, Disgaea, as opposed to something that takes itself more seriously.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It was funny in the first Disgaea game. It's beginning to drag in the latest installments.