savourymoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Hey GB staff,

I saw this problem before and then it seemed to have been addressed. Now it's back. I assume the script running in my browser blocking the ad is from GB as I'm a premium subscriber. Should this be happening? Is there any way to disable this?

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@savourymoose: They've been talking about this on various shows. Something Twitch has done, trying to encourage people to just come and do everything directly on Twitch instead of where the player is embedded, which is proving problematic for a number of sites. Might end up in ditching Twitch, might not, etc etc. Not a GB-exclusive issue.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By dazzhardy

Yeah, this was a problem with AGDQ 2021 and there embedded twitch stream on their own site that had an interactive virtual crowd. It was a fun idea, but it was ruined by this showing up for between 10 seconds and a minute every 10 to 15 minutes. Seen a lot of streamers complaining about Twitch putting more effort into this and blocking ad blockers than making their tech work.

But yeah, this is caused by the twitch player being embedded on a different site and not on twitch. It's not something people have control over, its just twitch being twitch.

savourymoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @tdous and @dazzhardy

I was sure this was a Twitch issue and not GB. Good to know they're aware of it.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been saying this a few times but worth repeating:

This is what happens when there is absolutely no competition for a service. Streamers can use Youtube (exponentially higher latencies?) or facebook (ugh) and that is really it. GB is one of the rare outlets to be able to use their own fallback but even that has major problems in terms of outreach and growth. And why would amazon/twitch do anything other than prioritize their site and other stuff they control when there is nowhere for streamers to go?

So next time there is a Mixer-like service, maybe actually check it out? Or at least don't compete to see who can "dunk on it" the hardest. And some could EASILY see an extension of that with respect to digital distribution services.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, since the close of Mixer, just about everything Twitch have done has resulted in either a worse service, or from what streams I follow have said, people just leaving and subs dropping. When Twitch started doing the uncontrollable mid stream ads, some streamers I follow lost a large percentage of followers, for no return because they don't get any views on ads to get money from them.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an advanced setting you can apply in Ublock Origin that might help or you can enable an alternative player for twitch TV. Haven't watched a twitch stream through an embedded player for a while, but at the time (+- november?) this did solve it for me. Give it a google.