Limit for titles is too small -Change live, thread titles now have a limit of 120 characters. See how long this is?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

For fuck sake this has irritated me for what feels like an age. But after just now making a thread with a title that once again had to be chopped up to meet this stupid restriction, I finally decided to make a thread about it.

60 characters is simply too bloody few. Whatever the extension is for creating blogs should apply to threads. Because right, blogs allow you so much more legroom in writing a title for whatever reason, which also means that nobody seems to care about the idea of extending the character limit given how long blogs have had this weird advantage. It doesn't need to be crazy or anything either. Like, an extra 10 may even suffice. Because really, it should not be this frustrating just to try and fit in a title that fits the restriction while is also intelligible.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree with this 100%.

Didn't even know there was an extension for blog posts.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@thephantomstranger: @yummylee:I read all the bug reporting, so if something is a real issue, please write about it, and thanks for doing that.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. And you're right about the blog title length, there is no good reason for it. I've brought them in line, so now blog titles and topic titles should be the same now (120 chars instead of 60).

You should see this change live early next week.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@jslack: Wow, I had forgotten all about this thread. Seems a tad hostile reading it back to myself... but this is something that has admittedly frustrated me to no end. Though that only thusly makes me more grateful for you for making a change, so thanks a mill!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yummylee: For the last few years on these forums, I feel like I understood what it's like to come up with headlines on a newspaper. Every topic title was like "How can I introduce this nuanced topic for discussion in about 5 words or less, assuming I'm using big boy words?"

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: @bisonhero:I think there's some value in having shorter topics. But the fact that we allow it to be longer in blogs seems like a hacky work around.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jslack said:

@thephantomstranger: @yummylee:I read all the bug reporting, so if something is a real issue, please write about it, and thanks for doing that.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. And you're right about the blog title length, there is no good reason for it. I've brought them in line, so now blog titles and topic titles should be the same now (120 chars instead of 60).

You should see this change live early next week.

It was really annoying with polls, because you have to use the thread title to ask the question, and 60 characters was really limiting for that. Thanks for making the change.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@jslack: Good to see this happen.

Is it possible to make some character counter / warning system / whatever? I know that when I've made titles over 60, I've had to manually count the letters to make sure that I'm under 60.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAY. longer titles!!

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Ya, but really the browser should yell at you if it doesn't validate, at least it does in Chrome.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bless this thread.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By mike
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Motherfucker, look how long that thread title is.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanks again to everyone who made this happen. :)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What a time to be alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points