Which of the two current Telltale games are you playing at the moment?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Which of the two current Telltale games are you playing at the moment? (122 votes)

Tales From the Borderlands 14%
Game of Thrones 11%
Both 13%
Neither 64%

Personally, I'm only playing through Tales From the Borderlands. I have zero interest in Game of Thrones - it's the first Telltale game that I have absolutely no interest in.

What I've played of TFTB is pretty great so far though.

• 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I approve of the attached page for this poll.

I've been doing the "Wait for the season to finish, then buy it on sale and play the whole thing in a few sittings" approach and that has worked out for me so far. I liked Wolf Among Us in spite of its weaknesses, but I think I would have been less charitable if I had to wait months between episodes.

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally, I'm only playing through Tales From the Borderlands. I have zero interest in Game of Thrones - it's the first Telltale game that I have absolutely no interest in.

What I've played of TFTB is pretty great so far though.

This.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'll second that notion @bisonhero. Also, add Dreamfall Chapters to that as well.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

Borderlands. It's been a fun time so far, although the first episode was way better than the second. My interest in Game of Thrones starts and ends with the TV show.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Neither. I'm kinda Telltale'd out for the time being, and while I was pretty excited leading up to TFTB, upon release all intention of buying the season pass just immediately evaporated for some reason.

Though in terms of episodic gaming in general I did enjoy me some Revelations 2.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By matatat

I still like their games, but even though I liked Wolf Among Us a lot, it was difficult to keep up with given the speed at which they came out. Also the fact that after like the 4th episode of both WAU and WD:S2 they went down to like... $10. Plus all the episodes were out.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

Just Tales from the Borderlands for me. The long wait between episodes has been brutal, but so far it's been good enough to be worth it. Both episodes have been excellent.

I keep debating whether I should pick up GoT, because I've never watched the show or read the books and I don't know if I care to, but I went into Telltale's The Walking Dead with even less knowledge or interest in the source and it was a pleasant surprise. (Well pleasant might be the wrong word.) But eh, maybe someday.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By SMTDante89

Right now, neither. I played Episode 1 of Tales from the Borderlands at a friend's house last year and plan to pick it up a little later though.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. I am enjoying them quite a bit - not as much as Wolf Among Us (which I loved), but more than either season of Walking Dead.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Neither, my episodic game of choice at the moment is Life Is Strange.

Same here.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some of the Game of Thrones game and got really bored of it, it just seems super inconsequential to the overall world as compared to the book and show, it just feels like the wrong universe for the style of game they are making. This is really strange since i think the format of that world fits super well with the style of game tale tell are making, perhaps that is the reason it is easier to see the flaws because there is such a big parallel between the game and the show.

The borderlands game seems like it could be fun but i chose Life is strange for my story focused game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@owack6 said:

I played some of the Game of Thrones game and got really bored of it, it just seems super inconsequential to the overall world as compared to the book and show, it just feels like the wrong universe for the style of game they are making. This is really strange since i think the format of that world fits super well with the style of game tale tell are making, perhaps that is the reason it is easier to see the flaws because there is such a big parallel between the game and the show.

The borderlands game seems like it could be fun but i chose Life is strange for my story focused game.

I think that's an interesting point. Like, from talking to friends, people like The Walking Dead show for how bleakly it treats the zombie apocalypse, but then people's opinions seem to wildly oscillate any given season over just how bad the show writers are at doing anything interesting. And then the number of people that have actually read the graphic novel is minuscule. So the TellTale game has the advantage of being a license that millions of people recognize, but the players don't really give a shit if it relates back to the main storyline because it's pretty hit or miss anyways, and the TellTale game doesn't even have the show license anyways. I feel like Tales from the Borderlands succeeds in this area as well because honestly who gives a shit about the mainline Borderlands lore/storyline anyways; I know I wouldn't be super mad if it never intersects that significantly with the main games.

And then The Wolf Among Us is this weird outlier where I feel most of the players had probably never heard of the Fables license prior to playing it, so it can do pretty much whatever because people don't even know what the main storyline is.

Game of Thrones can't really do anything major that relates back to the primary storyline, because GRRM and HBO certainly don't plan on having to take any major story cues from this barely-canon-only-because-it's-a-bunch-of-inconsequential-characters episodic game by TellTale.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Neither yet, but Tales has gotten some good press and I'll be interested in taking a look when more episodes are already out.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Burned out on that style of adventure game. Had some issues with each of the last two Telltale series as well. The Wolf Among Us had some neat parts--decent action sequences, great art style, an interesting setting--but it fumbled the story pretty hard. As for season 2 of The Walking Dead, I'm still pissed off at the terrible final episode and the infuriating ending.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I'll play them when it's cheAp . Not that interested honestly , and I loved TWD and TWAU .

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. I don't follow Game of Thrones and I've heard middling things about Tales of the Borderlands.

To be honest, I kind of got burnt by The Wolf Among Us performing like complete shit (on PS3 atleast). I paid for the whole season but didn't even finish the second episode.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnow

I bought both and have touched neither, so... both and neither?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am playing both of them but I wish they would come out on alternating months. As it stands it looks like GoT might be picking up speed and Tales keep lagging behind. But that could just be because I am already seeing hints on the next episode of GoT and the second episode of Tales is not even out yet (right?). But I've enjoyed both of them, I think they compliment each other in the fact that they are two ends of a spectrum. One being bleak and depressing and the other being a lot more fun and humorous. I really do hope Tales keep up the quality though because that first episode was a lot stronger than both of the GoT episodes thus far.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@strife777 said:

Neither. I don't follow Game of Thrones and I've heard middling things about Tales of the Borderlands.

Really? The reception of Tales of the Borderlands has been incredibly positive from what I've seen. Some people are going to like it more than others, but I have seen remarkably little negativity toward it, especially considering it's Borderlands.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Both - I'm finding that both are (so far) among Telltale's best stuff.

The wait between episodes for Tales of the Borderlands was crazy - I thought the 2nd episode had more legitimately funny moments than episode 1 too.

GoT (I've only played the first two episodes) has been fantastic - I think they can be enjoyed on their own, but having read/watched A Song of Fire and Ice series is useful in getting "more" out of it.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@strife777 said:

Really? The reception of Tales of the Borderlands has been incredibly positive from what I've seen. Some people are going to like it more than others, but I have seen remarkably little negativity toward it, especially considering it's Borderlands.

To be fair, I haven't looked much. I just checked Metacritic and I see my impression was wrong. Glad to hear it. Still, I might wait for the whole thing to be out and check it out then.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen said:

I am playing both of them but I wish they would come out on alternating months. As it stands it looks like GoT might be picking up speed and Tales keep lagging behind. But that could just be because I am already seeing hints on the next episode of GoT and the second episode of Tales is not even out yet (right?). But I've enjoyed both of them, I think they compliment each other in the fact that they are two ends of a spectrum. One being bleak and depressing and the other being a lot more fun and humorous. I really do hope Tales keep up the quality though because that first episode was a lot stronger than both of the GoT episodes thus far.

The second episode of Tales came out like a week or two ago.

Supa_Kappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played about 10 minutes of the second episode of Tales from the Borderlands and realised that I didn't really care anymore so I stopped. I think that's me for Telltale games.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Really? Man, that flew under my radar completely. Oh yeah, last week. Huh. Thanks!

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Technically I'm playing both game of thrones and Tales from the Borderlands, though I'm waiting it out. I can't handle the long gaps between episode releases and I much prefer when I can marathon them since that way I can get the full experience.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. I'm done with Telltale games for now. I might pick up both when they're finished but as it is, I'm tired of how Telltale are so bad at releasing episodic games.

None of their games have had the same water cooler effect that the first TWD did and after playing through TWD2 and TWAU at roughly the same time I realized that playing two different Telltale games at once is torture.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#28  Edited By Kidavenger

I'll play both of them, but I'm not getting either until they are done, felt really burned paying full price for both The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two then seeing them both going for 75% off before their seasons had even finished.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Im enjoying Game of Thrones at the moment, not really interested in Borderlands after i overdosed on the first game and fell off the second. The thought of spending more time in that universe at the moment does not fill me with nice thoughts, i will, im sure pick up both the Handsome collection and TFTB once i've given it some distance.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands.

I am growing tired of the Telltale format, and playing a "dramatic" game like GoT might just push me over the edge. At least Borderlands has light moments to it...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rafaelfc

Neither I am done with Telltale and their getting licenses and applying the same formula over and over.

Wake me up when they bring something significantly new to the table or get shuttered.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not playing either, but I'll probably play Borderlands eventually.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Tales from the Borderlands is much better too IMO. GoT is a bit dull and I love Westeros.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got 2 episodes into season 2 of TWD and dropped it. Bought TWAU and never even touched it. I think I'm all Telltaled out for now. If I ever get around to finishing those two then I can see myself picking up GoT when it's finished.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90 said:

Burned out on that style of adventure game. Had some issues with each of the last two Telltale series as well. The Wolf Among Us had some neat parts--decent action sequences, great art style, an interesting setting--but it fumbled the story pretty hard. As for season 2 of The Walking Dead, I'm still pissed off at the terrible final episode and the infuriating ending.

Yeah, I think The Wolf Among Us might've been more interesting with whatever their original storyline was, but it was scrapped and overhauled for some reason after Episode 1. I was interested when it was about a serial killer going around killing Fables, I was less interested when in the last 2 episodes it turns out they were just two isolated murders and it devolves into a he-said-she-said between a pimp and his mob boss and they're quibbling over which of them directly ordered the murder of the two prostitutes. I still think that first episode showed a lot of promise, it's a pity we never got the story it was originally leading to. I still kinda like the twist at the very end, but now I really wonder if that was always there, or if it's something they bolted on after realizing their ending kinda sucked and was so far removed from the premise of the first episode.

The Walking Dead Season 2 was always kinda shaky, but I think it at least had a chance of finishing strong after episode 3, which was a decent mid-season "shit is popping off" sort of episode. Episodes 4 and 5 just botched everything so badly. The problem with the characters from the new group is that some of them never have that much interaction with Clem before they die (Carlos, Alvin), some have a bunch of screen time early on but are then unceremoniously killed off without anything interesting happening in their character arc (Nick, Sarah, pretty much Luke), some characters serve no storytelling purpose at all despite being around for multiple episodes (Mike, Sarita), and then some characters survive until the end when they suddenly become childish idiots in the final 30 minutes of Episode 5 (Kenny, Jane). And then one character is just a shitlord plot device who never gets any elaboration in the two episodes he is in (Arvo).

I think Rebecca is the only supporting character in Season 2 that feels like you met them, got to know them and what troubles them, and they died in a way that fit the story and also created a tense situation. And Carver was good, but he kinda dominates the entire third episode to the point that hardly any supporting character gets any screen time in that episode aside from him and Reggie.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a quick slide from near-unanimous GotY contender to "who even cares any more".

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BisonHero

@bwheeeler said:

What a quick slide from near-unanimous GotY contender to "who even cares any more".

Everyone is quick to jerk off Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman as if they singlehandedly were the reason the storyline in Walking Dead Season 1 was so good, but I can't imagine the entire studio fell apart once the two of them left, nor do I believe that first game wasn't a really collaborative effort that a lot of people contributed to, given it kinda saved TellTale compared to how hard Jurassic Park tanked.

I think the studio just kinda got lucky with Walking Dead Season 1, in that it was their first time out with that story-focused narrative, and the Lee-Clementine bond was something that hadn't been featured very often in zombie stories. So many zombie stories focus on group politics ad nauseam, and though Walking Dead Season 1 had them too, the Lee-Clementine thing gave it a fresh impact, that you also kinda saw in The Last of Us. I think how deftly that relationship was handled is what set that first season apart, but to TellTale's credit they're not just ripping off that story framework in their other games and they're telling different stories. Most of those stories don't even have the same tone as Walking Dead (aside from Walking Dead Season 2, but I feel like it deliberately tries to have a storyline that no one could accuse of aping the first season, but they take it so far that it becomes a detriment), so you wouldn't expect those stories to have the crazy life or death dire situations that The Walking Dead has.