Isn't this counted as points cheating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

http://www.giantbomb.com/command-conquer-the-first-decade/61-3361/

"dudewhat" got 2,299 points for that page even though there is basically only 1 paragraph. Instead of putting the pictures into different galleries he's just typed 1 thing and posted tons of pictures of the main page giving his tons of extra points. He's also done it with several other C&C pages where he's only had a paragraph or 2 then added 6-10 pictures giving him over 100 points for those pages.

Wouldn't that be counted as points cheating? I mean I could easily uploaded tons of pictures and get 2000 points if I did that to any page.

EDIT: I'm not saying uploading pictures is cheating. I'm saying sticking a whole bunch without any reason on the main page to get a lot more points.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

whell that means that he had to download all those pictures before hand
its not like he didnt do anything for it

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I uploaded like 50 pictures of in-game barrels to the barrel page. I consider the pictures to be of the utmost importance, especially in the barrel section.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By metal_mills
Endogene said:
"whell that means that he had to download all those pictures before hand
its not like he didnt do anything for it"
Yeah but I've uploaded tons of pictures too. I stick it in the gallery though where they should be and only get like 1-3 points per pic. He stuck them all on the page where they aren't mean to go(except a few to make it look nicer) and got 2000.

If I just added 100 Oddworld pictures to the Oddworld page I'd have 3000 points easily.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene

if all those pictures showed differents parts of the game you should

edit: just checked out that guys page and what he resently uploaded, tons and tons of pictures of the same map
im with you here metal mill what this guy is doing is wrong

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By JackiJinx

Splooging a page with pictures shouldn't be allowed just to keep the pages similar in format. I can understand that s/he was going for a timeline sort of format with the images, but that's just an overload. It needs more text than pictures, not the reverse.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Endogene said:
"if all those pictures showed differents parts of the game you should

edit: just checked out that guys page and what he resently uploaded, tons and tons of pictures of the same map
im with you here metal mill what this guy is doing is wrong"
What, did he just submit the same picture over and over again? Hahaha.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Oh, well - they are technically different pictures.

Hell, it's the GB staff paying for the space to host it.... if they don't have a problem hosting 'em I don't see the big deal.

Maybe the dude is just a hardcore C&C fan.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#10  Edited By JackiJinx

MB has already stated in his blog that a massive upload of screenshots that are hardly different isn't allowed.

"MB said:

"On a related note, please do not submit thousands of screenshots into a gallery.  I'm not naming names here, but there are a few people that are submitting hundreds and even thousands of screenshots for games that were only taken a second or two apart from one another.  This realliy ruins screenshot galleries, and it makes looking for a specific shot like looking for a needle in a stack of needles."
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Endogene

sure looks like it, guess will see these kind of things on most of the newer games....

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By metal_mills
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Oh, well - they are technically different pictures.

Hell, it's the GB staff paying for the space to host it.... if they don't have a problem hosting 'em I don't see the big deal.

Maybe the dude is just a hardcore C&C fan."
It's the people who moderate the images. The staff might not even know about it.

I think if a picture has basically the same stuff on screen but the camera is slighty moved, it shouldn't be there.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
JackiJinx said:
"Splooging a page with pictures shouldn't be allowed just to keep the pages similar in format. I can understand that s/he was going for a timeline sort of format with the images, but that's just an overload. It needs more text than pictures, not the reverse."
I agree. The galleries are the place for images of a game whereas the main article should be the place for textual information and descriptions of the game. Maybe an image here and there to drive home a specific point or show off something cool, but the main article should not just become another image gallery.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Well, he did completely conquer that page. Maybe we're just not appreciating the subtle irony.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene
Metal_Mills said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Oh, well - they are technically different pictures.

Maybe the dude is just a hardcore C&C fan."
It's the people who moderate the images. The staff might not even know about it.

I think if a picture has basically the same stuff on screen but the camera is slighty moved, it shouldn't be there."
images are not  moderated when you have over 5000 points
actually i think it is over a 1000 that youre not moderated any longer, your images and edits at least
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kush

I don't care if all those pictures are different or not...but the page looks like crap and is should be changed.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
Kush said:
"I don't care if all those pictures are different or not...but the page looks like crap and is should be changed."
I fully agree. Just because the game is a compilation doesn't mean that you can just stick a smattering of images from each one on the main page. Instead maybe create separate galleries for images from each game, and on the main page discuss each game briefly, its relevance to the compilation, and link back to the original game release for more information.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm pretty sure he uploaded a bunch of pictures. There are about 12 games on the disc, you know.

Kush
said:
"I don't care if all those pictures are different or not...but the page looks like crap and is should be changed."
Yeah, its one of the games that I plan to work on at some point.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Hamz

The user in question has been sent a PM with an official warning, any submissions like this will result in action being taken on your account. DO NOT abuse the wiki live edit feature.

Going to lock this topic and say thanks to the users for bringing this to our attention. Any similar or further abuses of the live edit feature that you come across then hope you will all notify a forum moderator. We can then deal with the users in question.

Again thanks for bringing this to our attention.