So if I remove stuff, do the people that added them lose points?

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gabha

Sorry if this has an obvious answer somewhere I haven't looked, but I didn't find any so far.

So, if I remove entries that are incorrect from listings do the people that added them lose the points they've gained?

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By pyromaniac

no..they keep the points that they earned and you get some points too...you should PM a mod, they can explain in greater detail than I can

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

gabha said:
"Sorry if this has an obvious answer somewhere I haven't looked, but I didn't find any so far.

So, if I remove entries that are incorrect from listings do the people that added them lose the points they've gained? "
No, because people would abuse the system if that was possible.
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gabha
pyromaniac said:
"you should PM a mod, they can explain in greater detail than I can"

Nah, they've got enough on there hands as is, I knew some helpful GB citizen would provide an answer.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson

As they said, points are not taken away from other users. However, this does not give you permission to completely erase articles. If you want to replace their article with something that is significantly better, than that is fine.

Merging your article with their article is also a good thing to do.

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Emiel

I think completely replacing articles is dumb. Just add what you have to add or improve spelling or grammar or whatever. Don't just throw away an article someone worked on.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By and333
Emiel said:
"I think completely replacing articles is dumb. Just add what you have to add or improve spelling or grammar or whatever. Don't just throw away an article someone worked on.

"
Sometimes it has to be done because not everyone is a great writer. I've seen articles that were just a giant mix of thoughts and no flow or sense to them.
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Shocker
and333 said:
"Emiel said:
"I think completely replacing articles is dumb. Just add what you have to add or improve spelling or grammar or whatever. Don't just throw away an article someone worked on.

"
Sometimes it has to be done because not everyone is a great writer. I've seen articles that were just a giant mix of thoughts and no flow or sense to them.
"
Exactly.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DualReaver
Shocker said:
"and333 said:
"Emiel said:

"
"
Exactly.
"
yuh popy writrs sck we mst stp thm frm writng sch garbitch.
and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By and333
DualReaver said:
"Shocker said:
"and333 said:
"Emiel said:

"
"
Exactly.
"
"
lol funny
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shocker
DualReaver said:
"Shocker said:
"and333 said:
"Emiel said:

"
"
Exactly.
"
"
hahah
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Patchinko
DualReaver said:
"Shocker said:
"and333 said:
"Emiel said:

"
"
Exactly.
"
"
this guy are sick!
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gabha
Emiel said:

"
Oh I'd never do that, I meant removing game listings and related games entires and such.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
LtColJaxson said:
"As they said, points are not taken away from other users. However, this does not give you permission to completely erase articles. If you want to replace their article with something that is significantly better, than that is fine.

"
So if points aren't taken away, does that mean someone with over 1000 points could abuse the system by writing a really big page of complete gobbledygook, get a tonne of points and then delete it a minute after and keep the points?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By StarFoxA
MattyFTM said:
"LtColJaxson said:
"As they said, points are not taken away from other users. However, this does not give you permission to completely erase articles. If you want to replace their article with something that is significantly better, than that is fine.

"
So if points aren't taken away, does that mean someone with over 1000 points could abuse the system by writing a really big page of complete gobbledygook, get a tonne of points and then delete it a minute after and keep the points?"
EDIT: Misread what you said. I suppose that could happen.
Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aska

That's what I'm afraid of.  With 1000+ point members, they don't instantly get the points do they?  I was under the impression that their edits get added instantly, but the mods still approve the submission like normal and add points to it then.

Can someone clarify?

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gary_Jinfield

Points are awarded right away it seems.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf

No, it doesn't affect their points at all.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AmericanPegasus
Aska said:
"That's what I'm afraid of.  With 1000+ point members, they don't instantly get the points do they?  I was under the impression that their edits get added instantly, but the mods still approve the submission like normal and add points to it then.

Can someone clarify?
"
Points are added right away.
Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman
MattyFTM said:
"LtColJaxson said:

"
So if points aren't taken away, does that mean someone with over 1000 points could abuse the system by writing a really big page of complete gobbledygook, get a tonne of points and then delete it a minute after and keep the points?"
That probably could, and probably has happened somewhere, but with the new tools (edit history and the like) plus the scrutiny that comes with having a lot of points, anyone that does this will likely be found out at one point or another, and summarily banned. ModCat is watching.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Giantkitty
Ice_Cold_Rayman said:
"MattyFTM said:
"LtColJaxson said:

"
That probably could, and probably has happened somewhere, but with the new tools (edit history and the like) plus the scrutiny that comes with having a lot of points, anyone that does this will likely be found out at one point or another, and summarily banned. ModCat is watching."
It says on the left hand side who the major submitters were. What you submitted and pending submissions can be accessed by anyone (who can alert the mods), not just the admin. I suppose you could do a bunch of teeny little things and get away with it, but doing big things, especially multiple times, will get you caught.
Also, plagiarism isn't that hard to catch: just google a phrase in the article and see what comes up. Plus, when someone makes posts like "Wi is teh wurst seestum evr!" then have submissions that sound like a doctoral thesis, people will be suspicious.
Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman
Giantkitty said:
"Ice_Cold_Rayman said:
"MattyFTM said:
"LtColJaxson said:

"
That probably could, and probably has happened somewhere, but with the new tools (edit history and the like) plus the scrutiny that comes with having a lot of points, anyone that does this will likely be found out at one point or another, and summarily banned. ModCat is watching."
It says on the left hand side who the major submitters were. What you submitted and pending submissions can be accessed by anyone (who can alert the mods), not just the admin. I suppose you could do a bunch of teeny little things and get away with it, but doing big things, especially multiple times, will get you caught.
Also, plagiarism isn't that hard to catch: just google a phrase in the article and see what comes up. Plus, when someone makes posts like "Wi is teh wurst seestum evr!" then have submissions that sound like a doctoral thesis, people will be suspicious."
Exactly. If you're trying to point farm, you're eventually going to be caught.