Still no Opera support in the Wiki?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly which forum category I should post it in, Editing & Tools seemed related, and so does Bug Reporting, but since it seems to be conscious decision not to support Opera, rather than a bug, I thought this category would be best.

To the point, as a Opera user I can't edit the wiki. I only get a message saying "Sorry Opera users, we're not ready for you", with no details whatsoever or the choice to try editing the page anyway.

Searching through the forums, this seems to have been the case for over 2 years, Opera has been updated a lot since then, and considering I have no problems at all with anything else on the page, I don't understand why the wiki editing wouldn't work. Not that I don't know why it wouldn't have worked in a 2 year old version of Opera either, considering it's consistently one of the first browsers to fully implement and support new W3C standards when they are published.

OK, it might not work in Opera, but I would prefer if I was at least given the choice to try, since Opera is probably updated more frequently than what any webmaster would be able to keep up with.

Please, just change it to warn you that "Opera is not a supported browser, and we can't guarantee that the wiki will work properly", instead of just "We're not ready for you" and not letting you access the features at all.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Oh, I'm sorry, I just saw that there was another thread about this on the first page which I didn't notice when I started this thread (that thread did not get any replies though). When I searched I only found a 2 year old thread and didn't think of actually looking for the recent posts about this.

Feel free to remove this thread.

Bozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Bozar

I too wish that we would be able to edit the wiki in Opera. But I fear that we Opera users are quite probably in the extreme minority.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ethan

Opera makes about 2% of our viewers.  It would be cool if we had the resources to fix bugs for Opera.  We also block IE6 users from editing the wiki since we made a decision not to support it either.  You're right though, we probably should allow wiki edits by Opera users.  I think that will happen when we re-develop our wiki code.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@ethan said:
" Opera makes about 2% of our viewers.  It would be cool if we had the resources to fix bugs for Opera.  We also block IE6 users from editing the wiki since we made a decision not to support it either.  You're right though, we probably should allow wiki edits by Opera users.  I think that will happen when we re-develop our wiki code. "

Thank you for replying. Wouldn't it be best just to warn users of unknown browsers that their browser is not officially supported by the site and that some features might not work properly, instead of blocking access for them?

In the case of IE6 it might be understandable since it is an outdated browser that is no longer being updated, but Opera and many other browsers with a smaller userbase are still getting updates - and many of them can probably already handle the site as it is.

Well, thank you again for replying and for looking in to this.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
@fisk0: It depends on what Opera's issues are. If for example, editing a wiki page in Opera would result in the corruption of existing data on the page, we would absolutely not want people editing with that browser, period. Missing features could be considered an acceptable compromise, but malfunctioning features are not.