Too Many Ataris

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

Atari has gone through many transitions through its time but GiantBomb has to sort out it's 4 different Atari pages: Atari Inc, Atari Corp, Atari Games and Atari.

I think you need to have either one big Atari page which includes all its different stages or make each page clearer.

As far as I know the order should go something like this:

1. Atari Inc (existed from 1972-84) - This was the original Atari that was responsible for Pong, the 2600 and the 5200. It was sold off by Warner Bros. in 1984.
  2. Atari Corp (existed from 1984-98) - The second state of Atari which was responsible for the 7800, Jaguar, Lynx, Atari ST, Falcon and several others. Was sold to Hasbro in 1996.
  3. Atari Games (existed from 1984-03) - This is where it gets confusing. While the console side of Atari was sold off in 1984 by WB the games division wasn't. It was responsible for many arcade games including Klax, Marble Madness and the arcade version of Tetris. It changed its name to Midway Games West so it wouldn't be confused with Hasbro's Atari division. It was disbaded in 2003
After Infogrames bought Hasbro 2 things happened:
  1. Atari Interactive (2003-present) - Hasbro Interactive is renamed Infogrames Interactive and then eventually Atari Interactive. It is the currnet owner of the Atari brand.
  2. Atari Inc (2003-present) - Infogrames buys GT interactive in 1999 and renames it Infogrames Inc. After Infogrames bought Hasbro they had the rights to Atari so they renamed Infogrames Inc as Atari IInc
Sorry for the crash course in Atari history but it was the only way I could explain my point that all the GiantBomb Atari pages have the wrong games in them. For example the Atari Corp page say it's going to publish the Ghosbusters game in 2009, but Atari Corp was closed in 1998 - it should be in Atari Inc page.

That in itseld is a problem. Does the Atari Inc page realte to the origianl company which was set up in the 80s or th revitalised one which was set up in 2003.

If someone could please help me out on this issue I'd be really grateful.