Doom - first impressions (rip and tear)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

So, I'm curious. Do you guys use the chainsaw much? I think I used it like, 3-4 times in my entire ultra-violence playthrough. I'd just see gas canisters and go like "right I have that thing". The same for grenades honestly. They just don't seem that vital?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Efesell

@tobbrobb said:

So, I'm curious. Do you guys use the chainsaw much? I think I used it like, 3-4 times in my entire ultra-violence playthrough. I'd just see gas canisters and go like "right I have that thing". The same for grenades honestly. They just don't seem that vital?

Constantly. Basically means I can never run out of ammo or always just immediately hard remove something I don't want to waste time on.

Never used grenades all that much, usually just fired explosive shotgun rounds for AoE. For as fast as I'm moving around the idea of throwing something that isn't going to explode immediately seems ridiculous to me.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tobbrobb said:

I didn't use the chainsaw much, only when I was desperate and needed a chunk of ammo/health.

I used grenades constantly though, I'm not sure why you wouldn't when they just work on a cool down timer (free ammo!) and deal a good chunk of damage. I even levelled it up to the max to have more of them and limited cool down. I found the health leech grenade especially useful during boss fights as well.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Technician

@yates: I used the chainsaw all the time to quickly eliminate Pinkies, Spectres and Hell Knights. I'd also get armor drops from the chainsaw which helped a lot in close calls.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@technician: @yates:I think it mostly came down to not needing grenades, and not thinking grenades are that fun to use. They made quick work of fodder enemies where I'd rather shotgun them to death for funsies.

Maybe now in nightmare I'll rely on those and the chainsaw more (I already have in the first few missions) but I imagine by the time I get the ammo rune and ammo upgrades, I'll fall back on old habits.

Definitely gonna start chainsawing pinkies though, cuz fuuuck they can be hard to deal with. Thanks for that <3

chiefbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This game made me realize why I haven't liked shooter campaigns for the past couple years. It seems like everything was Call of duty or gears of war stop and pop type ordeal. I guess I needed something quicker. Since gears of war 1, I have never found hiding behind cover waiting for my adversary to stick out his little head for me to shoot fun...not then and definitely not now. Maybe there were others like Doom(painkiller etc) but they didn't do it for me like this game did.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished this up today, and loved every second of it. I don't even dislike the multiplayer, even though it is pretty uninspired for the most part. The campaign itself is one of my favorites maybe ever, and the waters for my personal game of the year this year has become murkier. The final boss was great, and the entire game is like one extended adrenaline rush.

I played on Xbox One, and have all but one achievement. It's the Ultra Nightmare level one one. I tried for it, but I'm just too worn out after dying in the last firefight 3 times in a row. I don't know HOW someone beat the whole thing on that. Crazy.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tobbrobb: I used it quite frequently once I actually remembered I had it, about half way through. Not only is a nice "fuck you" button for barons and knights but refilling your ammo is too good to ignore. By the last two levels I found myself switching to chainsaw when my rockets ran out even though I had no fuel.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else finding cacodemons to be abnormally threatening? They have somehow become the priority number one in any situation target in these later encounters. Most of my deaths now have revolved around not noticing one had spawned fast enough.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat The Foundry (Level 3) on Ultra-Nightmare tonight and my nerves have never been more frayed. I love this god damned game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I just beat the first boss Cyberdemon and... yeahhhh, this game is pretty great. Right now I'm a big fan of the Gauss Rifle's fully upgraded siege mode. Unsurprisingly, the alt-fire that severely limits your mobility in a game all about constantly moving is absurdly powerful to compensate.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: Never used it much. I was never in a situation where I was starved for ammo and needed to use it. Only time I used it was when I felt like not dealing with a specific enemy like a Baron. That said, I should use the chainsaw more often because every encounter I don't use it I'm losing an opportunity for an instant kill accompanied by a ridiculous glory kill animation. This also goes for the BFG 9000; I just consider gas/cores so valuable that I intend to use them when I'm most desperate, but what ends up happening is that I almost never use either of them and waste so many gas/core powerups.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater:The final upgrade for Siege Mode on the Gauss is glorious, combine that with glory kills speeding you up and you're basically a normal Gauss Cannon but in Siege mode.

@efesell:Cacodemons are definitely top priority in Nightmare mode, unless of course the infrequent Lost Souls decide to rear their head. The Cacodemons get into areas where you wouldn't expect AI to navigate too constantly catching you off guard.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on Ultra-Violence, fighting through a horde of demons, two Hell Barons spawn at the end, kill one, get knocked to 1 HP, and then glory kill the second Hell Baron, getting my health back.

Agh, this game is so good!

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By sinjunb

@efesell said:

Anyone else finding cacodemons to be abnormally threatening? They have somehow become the priority number one in any situation target in these later encounters. Most of my deaths now have revolved around not noticing one had spawned fast enough.

Yeah, especially on Nightmare they're always the first priority. They can fly anywhere and get in your face while you're trying to deal with shit on the ground, so they need to go ASAP. Summoners and Mancubus's (Mancubii?) are second and third priority, the soldiers with laser guns and stuff right behind them. Baron's and Hell Knights can usually be dodged relatively easily, same with Pinkies, and Imp fireballs are easier to juke than lasers.

Something I've gotten in the habit of doing is when a cyber mancubus shows up, the most resilient non-boss enemy in the game, I get a lot of distance and try to angle the BFG so it passes as many enemies as possible on the way to him.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I've only played the single player and I'm loving it. Love the fast pace and constant thinking. The constant glory kills don't bother me at all because I see them as just the another means of downing demons. Shoot, that small little one second is a nice break to collect your thoughts real quick about what the best action will be next. I absolutely love the chaotic battles and frantic running. It makes you think fast and constantly react.

A small feature that I absolutely love: when you run out of ammo, the game switches to another gun automatically.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By VFL83

I enjoyed the first half of the game, but was so bored by the end I had to force myself to finish the game. It lost its luster pretty quick. I'm glad i rented it, cause this one is a play it once, and never play again.