Jason Schreier of Kotaku, Dragon's Crown, and Hypocrisy

Letter11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Letter11

For those unaware, Jason Schreier of Kotaku posted an article in which lead artist and president of Vanillaware George Kamitani was likened to a 14 year-old boy for his character design of Dragon's Crown's sorceress.

Original Article: The Real Problem With That Controversial, Sexy Video Game Sorceress

Kamitani soon followed with a response that was likewise a bit controversial, as it ran the risk of being misinterpreted by many and was questionable in nature.

Relevant Thread: Kamitani responds to Kotaku criticism of the characters.

I told myself that I would refrain from visiting Kotaku in the future because of its deeply sensationalist nature, but low and behold, here I am posting this thread. The same editor in question recently posted this article:

JRPG Censorship Is Such A Silly Thing

In it, he proceeds to argue that censorship of Japanese games is ridiculous and undermines the original intent. WTF? Am I going crazy, or is this a massive contradiction of his directly insulting tone when attacking Kamitani's work?

Is Jason Schreier secretly laughing at all of us for taking the bait and using our clicks to bring in advertising revenue?

Seriously, how could any sane person produce these two articles in such a short time frame?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

He wrote the shitty article about the Cross Assault issue and made the fighting game community look like a joke. Jason Schreier is an inappropriate person. He deserves to get blown up; my friend did and it was so good.

He is baiting for MAX CPM...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rebgav

If I were localizing a jrpg for the US market and wanted to avoid controversy I'd be inclined to censor the shit out of it to avoid rabble-rousing idiots like Shreier and Kotaku in general. I can't blame the publishers who chose to do so. It is completely unsurprising that christian imagery and drug/alcohol references were altered during the 80s and 90s, just as it's completely unsurprising (and often commendable) that fanservicey stuff gets cut from games today.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deathstriker666

Not this again....

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't read Kotaku and don't discuss it with people that do read it. Problem solved.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Can we just stop?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By geirr

What's Kotaku and who's Jason Scheinewfg-something?

Nothing and nobody, that's what. .. and who.

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, censorship is not the same thing as criticism

PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sounds like another schizophrenic hypocrite who's playing his "White Knight" role.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read Kutaku, but one can be against censorship and against childish exploitation of human sexuality without hypocrisy.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Nekroskop

Kotaku is a shit news site with tons of click-baiting. Half of the things they say are just so that you'll click on their article. They're desperate now that linking their website from Reddit has become illegal over there.

Just ignore it and it'll go away.Japanese developers won't change the characters like some western developers have recently(you know the one I'm talking about)

Alymarical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alymarical

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=9616.msg284358#msg284358 So Kotaku hired Trolls, and morons who love buzzwords? HOORAY!?

Honestly, all this rack-et (HA!) for a game that has been known for about 2 years now. This shit bashing, and now reading that Rpg fan post. Makes me sick to my stomach.