Add to list - some thoughts

duszolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By duszolap

Add to list is very useful feature and ability to create my own list make it even mroe cool - however there are some missing features (or I am unable to find it) that make adding to list process and using it sometimes irritating 
I mean:

- inability to sort list (!)
- some way to add certain game to more than one list in one step - currently when adding a game to a few lists I have to manually repeat this process for each list - very irritating;/
- lack of advanced editing features - ability to move selected games from list to list (for ex. from playing to finished list), select all/none allowing to mass-delete entries 

IMHO lack of this features make list operating slow and not very useful - I am huge fan on GB and really want it to be even more complete gamer resource.

duszolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By duszolap

Pretty sad that there is no response from GB staff - currently list feature is pretty useless
I hope somebody from GB has noticed this fact.... Greetings

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan
@duszolap Most of the things you have said needed improvements work just they way you want them to.
duszolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By duszolap
@Br3adfan said:
" @duszolap Most of the things you have said needed improvements work just they way you want them to. "
I am not sure If I understood you correctly (I am not native english) - but honestly most of the features I have listed in my first post are NOT implemented starting with list sorting (alphabetically) - I know that there are numbers next to each game I can edit but with growing list it is not a solution to keep things in order.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan
@duszolap I am sorry if I misunderstood you, but you did not specify sorting alphabetically.
duszolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By duszolap
@Br3adfan:@Br3adfan said:
" @duszolap I am sorry if I misunderstood you, but you did not specify sorting alphabetically. "
Yes, I have to admit I didn't ;/ 
List sorting is simple but really useful feature - I hope that it will be implemented cause I can't imagine working with large list without ability to sort it that way. 
 I'd like to build my lists on GB but unfortunately in current state it's not very useful. In my opinion GB tops any other gaming sites with it's conception and general structure with exeption of lists - which are just more user friendly on ign or gamespot .
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

Automatic sorting is not part of the current feature set. It may come in the future, but as Dave Snider pointed out in an earlier topic there are other considerations they have to make as well. It's important that a user making a list isn't overwhelmed by multiple sorting options (ascending or descending, and how about release date or any other criteria?), so for now at least, you'll have to sort it manually if that's what you want.

@snide said:

" Lists, as well as all the other features on the site, will continue to improve as we notice trends and habits. In general we start off with what we assume most people want out of a feature and try to make the tool easy to use. After we've accomplished that (which hopefully is where lists are at now) we move on to more niche habits like the ones you describe. They are definitely things we'd like to add (just ask Jeff, he's on me all the time about just what you mention). 

The hard part is trying to not make things too complicated. Sometimes having too many choices makes for extremely clumsy tools. I'd point to our current guide tools as an example. Powerful? Absolutely. Easy to use? Very much the opposite. It's a tough balance and something you fight with on a daily basis as a designer. 

One thing we know for sure. We need to figure out an easy way to add pure collection (hence release data) lists. The problem is that I'd like to figure out a way to do something like this passively (like achievements) vs. an active action like having to add 400 items to a list, and then selecting the specific release version you wanted. 

In the meantime we'll do what we always do which is listen to posts like these and look at our own internal data and try and figure out what works best. If you have any ideas on how to build collections tools please let us know. At the same time realize that we need to figure out a way to trim the amount of tabs in our profile pages, not add to it. For veterans of the site, the more features the better, but for new members it just adds a layer of complexity that is hard to get around. 

We strive in our features to serve both audiences equally. "

pokernut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By pokernut

For the record, I've read the referenced thread. Thought I'd chip in with my $0.02 here instead of a new topic saying the same thing. 

I love the lists feature, but the inability to move items from one list to another makes them completely unwieldy to the point where I've stopped using them. I go through the trouble of adding comments on the items in my list, only to have them wiped out when I have to move them between lists. When I move something from 'Interested In' to 'My Collection' I lose the comments unless I copy them and then paste them into the item when I add it to the other list. It's a complete PITA. Or when my 'Interested In' list gets to big and I want to break it out into say a 'Nintendo' and 'PS3' platforms list, it's not worth the work because I have to copy all the comments again. 

Anyway, I know you guys are trying to keep it simple to use and I'm a huge fan of the site but PLEASE add the ability to move items between lists without having to go through a stupid CRUD process. I just want to move the thing from one list to another. Until then, I'm sorry to say my excitement for lists has capped out. 

Cheers!! 
ps. I do love the site, just trying to keep up with a little constructive criticism to keep it improving :)

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Blitzer

I'm waiting for the List feature to be updated to basically what the Collection feature on Gamespot is.