Japanese Text in game overviews

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By coffeesash

Is putting Japanese text in game information entries frowned upon or can it be added in brackets next to the english meaning on titles originally in Japanese?

For example in Katamari Damacy Tribute game entry in the soundtrack section I initially wrote several of the artists and songs in the original Japanese e.g.
大橋卓弥 (from スキマスイッチ)  -  塊オンザウィングス

before realising that for a lot of people (without Vista that is) the entry would come up as  a bunch of question marks and even if not wouldn't be able to read it anyway and I translated it to
Takuya Ohashi (from Sukima Switch)  -  Katamari On the Wings
but didn't put back the original Japanese next to it in case Japanese text isn't allowed.

Some things however don't translate as well, should they just be spelt out in english characters phoenetically only?
On Wikipedia for many games, music and movies, the original title or name of a character, song or artist is listed in brackets. A lot of the time, for reference, a Giant Bomb user may need the original Japanese to hunt down infomation, videos, music etc on particularly obscure or Japan only games.

Thanks

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

As Jeff once said, Giant Bomb is based in San Francisco, so it's called Indigo Prophecy and not Fahrenheit.

Under that same assumption, I would guess that English is probably the best bet for the Wiki.  Don't the Japanese have some way of seeing all this stuff translated anyways on their computers?  If not, then how the hell did they develop Gundams?!
coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coffeesash

But isn't the internet and the Giant Bomb website for the whole world?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG
coffeesash said:
"But isn't the internet and the Giant Bomb website for the whole world?"
Yes, but as this site is based in the USA, the information relating to the USA is considered default. I do think that what your doing is fine, but it's best to get the opinion of the staff or a wiki mod.
coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coffeesash

Oh yeah of course, I don't mean overriding the default, just adding information to the text

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG
coffeesash said:
"Oh yeah of course, I don't mean overriding the default, just adding to"
Yep, I realize that, and that's why I think it's cool. Like I said though, my opinion isn't really worth all that much.
Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Justin_Case

No Kanji. Please only use Romaji.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coffeesash

Well, there goes 90% of the help that I can give xD

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
coffeesash said:
"Well, there goes 90% of the help that I can give xD"
no cause you can view sites such as amazon.jp and other japanese sites and if you can read it then you can find out exact release dates of games in their japanese relases...ect