Suggestion: Change the rules on "Person" pages

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Patchinko

This "rule" is on the help page regarding what makes a person valid for having his own page. According to the moderators, this is an inflexible rule that they are adhering to strictly, so I think it should be changed. Here's the rule:

"These are the names that roll after you blow up that final boss. A person must be credited in at least one game to merit a page."

Specifically, this means that if a person, no matter who it is, hasn't had his or her name in the credits that roll in a game itself... he or she can't have a page on GiantBomb.

I think this is too strict and literal. The "Person" category would serve from being able to include anyone highly relevant to the industry. There might be a commentator or reviewer or player of a specific game who's gained fame thanks to a specific game, type of game, concept, etc. who isn't listed in the credits of the game but is certainly relevant to it.

I recognize that adhering strictly to this rule makes things easier on the mods, but it also hurts the wiki aspect of this site by preventing relevant content from being added. So I think it should be changed.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Giantkitty

I've noticed Billy Mitchell is here, not because he made the games, but because he has the world records for the games, so something should be changed: either take out Billy or give some notable exceptions  in the persons rule.

If reviewers were allowed, could you submit the games they reviewed under them?

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Patchinko
Giantkitty said:
"I've noticed Billy Mitchell is here, not because he made the games, but because he has the world records for the games, so something should be changed: either take out Billy or give some notable exceptions  in the persons rule.

If reviewers were allowed, could you submit the games they reviewed under them?"
Billy Mitchell is the perfect example. He's famous for Donkey Kong. Someone sees "The King of Kong", comes on GiantBomb and looks him up.

I mean, it depends on what the staff wants. If they want this to be a wiki devoted to all things videogames, a person like Billy Mitchell is totally relevant even though he's not in the credits to a game.

As for reviewers, again it's up to the staff. When it comes to wikis, I think more content is better, so I'd say yes to that. A wiki is only of limited value if its content is highly limited. This one is already very limited to videogames.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that this rule should be changed, especially with that example of Billy Mitchell.

Not to mention, how many people are left uncredited in a game because the companies feel they have the right to remove staff credits (which really angers and saddens me).

So yes, please change the rule!

GagJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GagJ

From what I understand Giant Bomb was mean to be an encyclopedia of videogames, thus I feel that even videogames journalists should be allowed, I mean people who have been in the industry for a long time like Garnett Lee and Matt Cassimina (sp?) should be allowed to have pages, they've been part of the culture and in some cases controversy.

Even if the above isn't allowed, people like Mr Mitchell should be allowed
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Kohe321

Adding people who are meaningful to the industry, but isn't necessarily credited in a game... Yeah, I would be all for that! There needs to be a line for how meaningful to the industry someone has to be before they deserve a page, though.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

I see your point.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By mike

If the most basic of requirements for a Person page is lifted, who is going to decide which people are "important" enough to be included in the Wiki?  It's too subjective.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Vaxadrin

The people decide!  It's a wiki!

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Patchinko
Vaxadrin said:
"The people decide!  It's a wiki!"
  Bingo.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's not a bad idea, I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. but if you really want the site designers to see this you might wanna post it in the official suggestion thread.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patchinko
Gamer_152 said:
"It's not a bad idea, I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. but if you really want the site designers to see this you might wanna post it in the official suggestion thread."
Good call! Posted it. :)
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kohe321

You could end up with a wiki containing all the members of a famous CS clan, just because some people think those guys are important enough to have their own wiki page. I agree with MB that it is too subjective, and this would put a lot of extra work on the mods.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Patchinko said:
"Vaxadrin said:
  Bingo."
The problem is, people are idiots sometimes.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Patchinko
MattyFTM said:
"Patchinko said:
"Vaxadrin said:
  Bingo."
The problem is, people are idiots sometimes."
Yeah, but a wiki has the benefit of being idiot-proof. That's why this wiki in particular still needs history and reversions, but supposedly that stuff is being integrated.

Kohe321 said:
"You could end up with a wiki containing all the members of a famous CS clan, just because some people think those guys are important enough to have their own wiki page. I agree with MB that it is too subjective, and this would put a lot of extra work on the mods."
Why aren't they "important" enough? How is it damaging a wiki to have a page for nearly anyone relevant to the industry? And how would it put extra work on the mods? If it's supposed to be a wiki, then it's community-moderated.

But the bottom line is, the stringent rule about how the person "must be in the credits for a game to qualify" is preventing people who are quite important in the industry from being able to have pages, which doesn't make sense. While letting literally anyone have a page might be "too lax," certainly not allowing major journalists or videogame figures who aren't necessarily in game credits is "too stringent". 

Besides, "subjectivity" on a wiki is left up to the community, not "the mods". At this point, there is no subjectivity, there's just a rule that forcibly excludes relevant people from being included. 

I think a lot of people are confused about what a wiki is. Or maybe I'm confused in thinking this was supposed to be a community-based wiki for all things videogame. But I'd rather think that I'm not wrong on that because that is what I feel myself and most others expect and want from this site.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By mike

This isn't about making things easier on the Wiki moderators.  It's about keeping the scope of pages that are added to the Wiki focused on people that actually work on games.  I'm not saying the rule will never be changed, just trying to clear up why this rule is in place.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Patchinko

Yeah, I agree. There's a road ahead. I just think that particular rule could cause relevant content to be excluded. I will say, with gratitude, that I know you guys have been letting some people who aren't creditted slide because they're clearly relevant, so thanks for that. :)

I know that to this point the rule was in place precisely because it eliminates subjectivity and makes it easy to determine whether or not a person should be allowed to have a page.

I also know that you guys are taking things with a grain of salt and letting the beast mostly handle itself, which I know I appreciate and is why I'm still contributing where I can.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see that rule get "officially" changed at some point, now that the community has been a little more vetted and things seem to be maintaining a level of maturity on the wiki side of the site.