DS version or iOS?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

For some reason, I suddenly got the urge to look at this 3D re-make. I mean, I've beaten FF4 two or three times, but this new version is supposed to have re-balanced difficulty, and new stuff like limit breaks, etc.
The DS version is $42 on Amazon, while the iOS version is $16. Any impressions from people who've played the iOS port? How are the controls? I'd much rather play with a D-pad, but if the touch-screen controls are good enough, maybe I'll go that way. Also, how badly does it drain the iPhone battery?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I would never endorse playing a classic RPG on a phone screen.

I thought the iPhone version was just (another) updated version of the original game and not the full 3D remake? Or is that just FFVI?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bongchilla

I played and beat the DS remake. It's very good and very difficult. That is why I liked it so much I think. Most of the recent FF's have been easy. I would say play the DS version.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

Get the port on IOS. It is HD and has controller support, so that means that you can play with a PS4 controller. I have tried to go back and play games on my DS, but it is too uncomfortable in comparison to the DS4.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The DS version is awesome, that's all I know, no clue what it's like on iOS.

It's a long ass, hard ass game, so keep that in mind when choosing your device. Actually I guess I don't know if the iOS one is the same difficulty...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar

@believer258 said:

I would never endorse playing a classic RPG on a phone screen.

I thought the iPhone version was just (another) updated version of the original game and not the full 3D remake? Or is that just FFVI?

The iOS version is a port of the DS game.

It, like the FFVI remake for the iOS, comes with obscenely ugly UI. Go with the DS version.

Seriously, look at this shit.
Seriously, look at this shit.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

It, like the FFVI remake for the iOS, comes with obscenely ugly UI. Go with the DS version.

Yeah, the thought of navigating that menu on an iPhone screen with my fat fingers is dissuading me. Thanks!

Get the port on IOS. It is HD and has controller support, so that means that you can play with a PS4 controller. I have tried to go back and play games on my DS, but it is too uncomfortable in comparison to the DS4.

I have a 3DS XL which has been comfortable enough for me. I'm not sure I understand, are you propping your iPad up on a desk and then playing with the PS4 controller?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By monetarydread

@l33t_haxor: You can do that. What I use is an adapter made by Nyko that allows me to attach my phone to a PS4 controller. That way the whole thing operates similar to one of those Nvidia Shield devices and you can even use an HDMI adaptor to play your games on a TV in 1080p.

No Caption Provided

FF4 on IOS looks crisper, the frame-rate is a LOT smoother, you can play with a more comfortable controller, you can play it on a TV or computer monitor, and it is less expensive ($15 vs $45).

No Caption Provided

Screenshot from DS version (Click to See at Full Resolution)

No Caption Provided

Screenshot from IOS version

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like the 2D art way way way more than that polygonal stuff, I'd say go with the GBA version.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

If the psp version is an option I'd go with it in case you want sprites. The game boasts an awful lot of random battles. I didn't remember it being so bad.

Anyway, I think square only just started getting those mobile interfaces right like in Dragon Quest IV (and VIII somewhat). I think until last year they were mostly bad so I'm not sure I'd try even if it's technically better.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: Yep, played that and played the SNES version twice :-) This was one of my favorite games as a kid. I'm sure I won't like it as much as the 16-bit versions, I'm mostly just curious.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

I like the 2D art way way way more than that polygonal stuff, I'd say go with the GBA version.

The PSP version is probably the best one for 2D art. I played through it earlier this year on the Vita, it looks fantastic.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By hunterob

The DS version is too hard. I ended up giving up on it then buying/playing the PSP version. Until I got stuck, through sheer idiocy, under-leveled in the Giant of Babil. I'd recommend the PSP version even though I may never beat that damn game on either version.

Unless you love grinding and needing to fight bosses over and over again to figure out elaborate strategies that you never had to before. If that appeals to you, get the DS version.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@toowalrus said:

The PSP version is probably the best one for 2D art. I played through it earlier this year on the Vita, it looks fantastic.

That works to though... I hate the font in that version. Don't know why and I'm sure you get used to it after a few minutes.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#15  Edited By Brackynews

The only iOS FF games I have touched are Final Fantasy Dimensions, and Pictlogica. Which I don't regret playing. I'd like to keep that streak going.

Actually I briefly tried Theaterhythm and went back to the DS version. Because WOWOWOW MONEY. :P

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@l33t_haxor: If you are still up in the air about which version to get a pc version of the remake was released on steam yesterday. It's essentially the same game but now giving you the ability to play it on a monitor / tv. It is $15.99 on steam.