200+ Game Crazy's closing by October

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By choffy21

Sad but true, Game Crazy will close 33% of it's stores by the end of October. They gave damn good TIV's and it's a shame to see them go.  Time to spend that credit you may have lying around.

Seems like the GameStop monopoly may be closer than I believed.

[ Link]

P.S. I hate how I'm part of the problem.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ToadRunner
@Video_Game_King: nice.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I've never heard of this store... :(

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By choffy21
@Video_Game_King said:

" Damn, you beat me to it. At least let me designate this The Official GameStop Anthem. "

Embedded for lazy bastards (like myself)

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski
@xyzygy: It's the store connected to all the Hollywood Videos.  Not sure if they are located anywhere besides the US.

Not surprising though... I have one close to my house and I still just go to farther Best Buy to buy new games/peripherals.  Also, things like Amazon and Gamefly's Trade-In programs are a godsend.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

NO! You have to survive Gamecrazy! You're our only hope!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

I'm from the East US, and I know *of* Game Crazy, but I've never seen one.

Don't worry; Gamestop's mighty empire will weaken, if not falter, in the coming years. Pressure from numerous other trade services cropping up from big name retailers, along with the continued adoption rate of digital distribution, will at least take a good chunk out of them.

My only suggestion is that if you really feel like they're an evil empire, don't buy from them.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

No Game Crazy's in my country. I think the EB, game and JB Hifi are pretty much muscling everyone else out in my area though. Gametrader stores are slowing becoming a shadow of their former glory and even department stores like K-mart and Target and shit are having increasing crappy games selections.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Babble

I remember a time when EB Games was a separate company and Software Etc. was fairly common. Oh well.

Spunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spunky

meh, the game crazy near me sucks. the employees there have 0 interest in talking about games.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By breadfan

I've never even seen a Game Crazy store

Mourer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mourer
Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Sdoots

Oh dear god, really? I'm an extremely faithful gamecrazy customer. First the one closest to me closed down, forcing me to drive a good 40 minutes out of my way to go the the next closest location, and now they might be closing down? That leaves me with absolutely NO "Triple A" game retailers. It's really too bad to see a store which does everything right get screwed over like this. Gamestop continues to gut new games, put obnoxious stickers everywhere on the game cover art, and it's impossible to remove them without damaging said art, thus resulting in your collection having price tags on it. FANTASTIC. 

A friend of mine got fired there for refusing to sell GTA3 to a kid back when it first came out. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust

Speaking of Gamestop, there was a rumor last week that Best Buy was interested in purchasing the video game outlet.
SOURCE:  Best Buy looking to purchase Gamestop? 
FOLLOW UP:  Is GameStop a Best Buy for Best Buy?

According to the Wall Street Journal, the chief financial officer said that they find the used-gaming software industry "strategically very interesting."  

Ryan Robinson (CFO) said, "What I think is something that we've missed in the industry and is something other participants have been doing is the proportion of business that is used," he said. "We've not developed the capability to the extent that other participants have. It's a very margin-rich portion, so I think there's opportunity in that business."

So, little fish get eaten by bigger fish who, in turn, get eaten by even bigger fish.

MommaShorty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MommaShorty

I know gamestop is a ridiculous monopoly, but after working for game crazy (including being a store manager for a year), seeing how easy the employees at gamestop have it compared to game crazy made me wish I had worked there.

We employees liked to refer to game crazy as slave crazy.  If you transferred all the gamestop employees to game crazy and told them all the numbers they had to meet and all the step my step robotic procedures that you have to take with EVERY customer EVERY time, they would shoot their fucking brains out. Although the employees at gamecrazy can be a bit more helpful because they're trained to be, it's sometimes overwhelming. But each store is different. I always liked the layout, trade values, used prices and preorder system of game crazy better so I still return there. Luckily my store is one of the TWO left in my district except they don't have my copy of Borderlands because they fucking lost everything from all the closed stores transfering them a bunch of crap!