2016 in Review: Say Something, Damn It

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

Edited By Cav829

I'm growing tired of the complacency shown in video game storytelling.

For a few brief moments, I thought we might have turned a corner in 2015. From indie games such as SOMA, Cibele, and Life is Strange, to AAA games such as Witcher 3, it was actually a year where gamers could hold their heads high and proudly proclaim why yes, video games can tell meaningful tales. And then, 2016 was a crushing reminder how far the medium still has to go.

No Caption Provided

Gaming has gotten really good at world building. From the soulless dystopian City of Glass, to the post-Dollar Flu wastes of New York City, to the rising tensions over Augmentation of near-future Prague, we've had our fair share of interesting settings this year. And yet, the three games mentioned above feature the same level of trite, cliche storytelling that risks and says nothing. Factions in each of these games are depicted in less shades of grey and more extremist alternatives. The theme of each game can be summarized in the simplest of sentences. I dunno, ceding control to corporations might be a bad thing. The same mistake is repeated in each case in assuming presentation of a complex or interesting view is sufficient for discussion of that view. Attempts to be intellectual instead come off as pretentious.

It is tempting to say that the medium itself creates challenges for telling traditional stories. Open-world games that cede control to the player create pacing challenges for their writers. Action games must be careful not to bog down the flow of the game through long periods of plot exposition. Many indie games attempting to wrestle with progressive topics have suffered blowback from a gaming audience often preferring escapism over challenging their own world views.

No Caption Provided

Yet we've seen enough examples over the past few years that show there are spaces between the extremes to play with. The best example of this from 2016 is Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. The Uncharted series has long been derided as "National Treasure: the Video Game." The "plot" of the series is often referenced in the sneeriest of manners. Series protagonist Nathan Drake is depicted in-game as a puckish rogue even while mocked by fans for being more of a sociopathic serial killer.

Yet, Neil Druckman had shown his writing chops off in 2013's The Last of Us and its DLC followup, Left Behind. that it was possible to combine spectacle and intelligent storytelling in the same package. And the lessons Naughty Dog learned from those efforts were certainly on display here. Nobody could confuse Uncharted 4's plot with something especially deep. And yet, it manages to tell an entertaining tale of greed and obsession with strong themes and interesting three-dimensional characters.

Instead of ignoring previous characterizations, the game takes sometimes cartoonish aspects of existing characters to their natural conclusions. Nathan and Elena are forced to deal with domestic realities following years of adventure. Often times, we joke at the end of action movies that romances are doomed for failure once reality comes crashing down upon the protagonists. Uncharted 4 takes a very Incredibles take on what that would actually be like.It manages to wring just about every ounce of story from a series most had assumed finished and had little interest in revisiting.

Indie gaming of course continues to take chances, yet I'd hesitate to say it was as strong a year as the prior. The Witness's plot is at best a mess and serves more of a vehicle in presenting Jonathan Blow's world view. Inside is more of an abstract work more akin to art than literature. Firewatch has some of the most well-realized characters in a video game this year, but I'd suggest the characters are much more of interest than the plot. I love the presentation of Bound, but it's a lot more style and far less substance.

No Caption Provided

If there's one game in 2016 which takes full advantage of the medium for story purposes though, it's That Dragon, Cancer. Not enough praise can be placed upon the ways this game helps the player understand the helpless reality of a terminal disease. Gaming more than any other storytelling medium has the capability of making the viewer experience a story first-hand, and this is the best possible example of that in practice. Of course, this is a smaller indie title able to take chances in a medium dominated by escapist fantasy. That Dragon, Cancer deals with the total opposite, reminding players to cherish our fleeting existence for everything it is worth.

No Caption Provided

It's easy enough to dismiss this all as a rant about AAA storytelling, but that's hardly the case. After all, there is room for big-budget popcorn flicks as well as prestige pictures in Hollywood. Mafia III managed to find a happy middle-ground between the two with its gritty depiction of crime and racial tensions in 1960's New Orleans. If anything, the story is more the attraction here than the gameplay. Ten hours of plot instead are stretched into a thirty-plus hour open-world game and the result is significant pacing issues. Yet, it still manages to rescue what might have been an otherwise forgettable addition to the crowded open-world genre.

There are enough examples out there now to show that we need not accept gaming as an inferior storytelling medium. The minds that continue to create such well-realized worlds certainly possess the capabilities to tell interesting tales. It's far too easy to be cynical and believe video game storytelling needs to be safe so not to offend potential consumers. Here's hoping 2017 helps to buck one of my least favorite trends of 2016.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As far as stories go, when I look at my top 10 list, not a single game on there had a strong story. I thought Furi had an interesting one, but it's way too vague to really make your brain crackle. To be fair, that game wasn't necessarily trying to have a great story either. That said, I didn't play the games you're talking about like That Dragon Cancer and all that. I like a good videogame story, but my top ones still range from the grounded The Last of Us, to the fun insanity of BioShock Infinite.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I'm curious, have you tried Oxenfree yet? I feel that it is a major leap forward in video game storytelling that makes good use of the medium's interactive nature. Not saying your reservations regarding game narrative are unwarranted, but Oxenfree did give me hope for better implemented narratives going forward.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yeah on my rough draft of a top 10 right now there isn't much in the way of great storytelling. One game I was really surprised by how much I liked the presentation of was Severed. Mind you, it has an incredibly minimalistic story, but what it has it conveys incredibly well.

@darth_navster:Yep, I played and rather enjoyed Oxenfree. I also put up a review. I really loved the implementation of its dialogue system. Like if I could pick a new game mechanic this year I liked the most, that might be my pick. The plot itself and the characters were definitely entertaining. I think I'm more excited for what they do with the system next more then the actual story itself. Mind you, Oxenfree is going to likely be just on the outside looking in of my top 10 (I'm finishing up Last Guardian right now before posting a list as this is likely to be in my top 10 somewhere).

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Have you played Dishonored 2? I think for anyone who is interested in story-telling through video games, you have to play or just watch on Youtube the first 10 minutes of that game. It is basically a blueprint for how not to do dialogue, how not to introduce a game and how to destroy any possible emotional investment of the player. Seriously, just watch introduction of the game. Watch how the robotic, pure exposition dialogue restates what was already explained to you in the narration 1 minute beforehand is all the game will give you before setting up the inciting event and villain and then just starting the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qamm6oUoA

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cav829

@riotcontrol: Uh huh. There are a lot of things I love about Dishonored 2 (it's pretty high on my top 10), but boy that intro is pretty terrible. It's a shame as well, as all the ingredients are in the game for a more entertaining plot. The world building in that game is top-notch, and the rogues gallery they created for Corvo/Emily to take down are quite entertaining. The Hero's Journey Emily is forced to go down though is pretty paint-by-numbers (I didn't play Corvo's side yet). I also adore all the secret ways you can influence the world that aren't directly told to the player.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I did not find the story of Witcher 3 compelling or refreshing. Male power fantasy in a high fantasy setting. Solve problems, get paid or laid. Overrated in terms of storytelling.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

2016 was a good year for video games. Everything else sucked and will suck more for sometime in the near future. If there is one.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@fitzgerald: If that's what you took away from The Witcher 3, then I don't know what you are looking for in storytelling in games.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@colonel_pockets: I wanted to type this but didn't so thank you for doing it. That description sounds 100% like someone who has only heard about Witcher from people who also hadn't played it, but heard it had "boobs and stuff".

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@colonel_pockets:

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯* Undertale had a story that I actually impacted as a player and wasn't about rescuing a lost damsel to have sex with. Or about killing everyone (the way I played it). Both games came out the same year, but only one of them really pushed what we could do with the medium in terms of storytelling.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

So, I feel Undertale should not be brought up when we're talking about good narrative, characters, or plot in games.

I mean, it's a smash hit if you like pretentious overtones cranked up to 200%. It's a game that constantly pats itself on the back for it's own dumb jokes, gags, and memes. It's got an insanely stupid meta-narrative, painfully spelled out like it's some kind of "reward" for what (I found) is the least fun actual gameplay path. I would call it nearly everything wrong with what real storytelling in gaming can or should be - and I'm loath to be so harsh since it was made by like two people, but to stack it up against something like Witcher 3 seems like utter lunacy.

But if it's better than the political complexity, rich world, and nuanced characters of the Witcher then who am I to judge.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, I feel Undertale should not be brought up when we're talking about good narrative, characters, or plot in games.

I mean, it's a smash hit if you like pretentious overtones cranked up to 200%. It's a game that constantly pats itself on the back for it's own dumb jokes, gags, and memes. It's got an insanely stupid meta-narrative, painfully spelled out like it's some kind of "reward" for what (I found) is the least fun actual gameplay path. I would call it nearly everything wrong with what real storytelling in gaming can or should be - and I'm loath to be so harsh since it was made by like two people, but to stack it up against something like Witcher 3 seems like utter lunacy.

But if it's better than the political complexity, rich world, and nuanced characters of the Witcher then who am I to judge.

Pretty much my outlook on the subject. Don't get me wrong, I can see why people like Undertale. It played to a very specific demographic. I'm sure it was a bright, fresh title for many, but it stood out in the same way I think the Five Nights at Freddy's games do. It's more about the social impact it had on players via the fan-stories, fan-art, and overall plot that got people talking instead of it being anything special as a game. People tend to gather towards games that let them do more of the story-telling, or at least theorize about the story-telling, than having a game flat-out tell them whats going on. Hence my comparison to the FNaF series.

Not to mention that Witcher 3 is a much grittier story that feels impactful, while Undertale's entire premise was to undermine cliches, tropes, and other common story-telling mechanisms which many latched onto en masse as "the culling" of the standard way people tell stories. It's not an invalid approach, but it's definitely a great scenario in which certain professionals can start their investigations on how certain niche games can create such a following without doing anything "new."

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets:

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯* Undertale had a story that I actually impacted as a player and wasn't about rescuing a lost damsel to have sex with. Or about killing everyone (the way I played it). Both games came out the same year, but only one of them really pushed what we could do with the medium in terms of storytelling.

Ok, so you haven't played the Witcher then, because that doesn't describe the plot, like at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ll_exile_ll: That is a fantastic description of someone who looked at a screenshot of Witcher 1 and figured they knew everything.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cav829

Boy things got heated here while I was out.

I personally like both games. Undertale's story is less interesting than its subversion of video game tropes. With Witcher 3, I like certain quest lines and stories (Bloody Baron as an example) more than the main Witcher story itself which is a little more standard for the genre. I guess those views get me into trouble with both fandoms at times lol. Still, I like what both games were going for and would at minimum argue they're two games that did not shy away from having a voice, which is always better than a game that elects to say nothing in my eyes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@cav829: tbf Cav, if say last year's crop set a new benchmark in story telling, AAA studios haven't had enough time to shift gears yet to change their products to capitalize. Chances are these 2016 games were pretty far along in development piepline when they saw Witcher's reception etc.

I agree though and sadly I think at least with AAA , we are likely to see less story telling rather than more as AAA games continue to try to transition into services with long tails . Ubisoft has pretty much explicitly stated that they want to move away from directed narrative as much as possible going forward :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316343

and I get why that makes business sense. But I personally think there is a huge largely untapped market for somebody out there to make story driven products, certainly that's what Telltale is attempting to do. Whether they are successful is another matter.

really though what I think has to happen for stories to get better in games, is somehow games need to get beyond combat as a central mechanic. Combat is so omnipresent in games anymore, I think we are all kinda blind to its presence. There are always going to be games that have that understandably so, but it feels like a good 80%+ of AAA games have that as a central characteristic of the gameplay in some respect (Even Mario Brothers has a focus on "defeating enemies"). Then compare that to movies. That in itself is a major limiting factor in what sorts of stories are possible in the games we currently play.

Dunno about you, but I've rarely been in fights irl and I think that's probably true for most of us. If I tried to tell the story of my life through the fights I've been in....It'd be a pretty short story that doesn't show much of my life.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cav829

@slag: Yeah, that's one thing I really dislike about AAA gaming and the "Skyrimification" of everything as a result. On some level, the masses have spoken and they seem to prefer large open-world games rather than tighter paced narrative-driven ones. While I think everyone knows I don't love Witcher 3 the way others do (mostly because I loathe the combat), it at least presented a happy medium one would hope more developers would aim for.

I'd even take more things like Overwatch, where the world building is super interesting even if the developed narrative isn't particularly well-defined. To me, the worst are your Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst types that spend so much effort setting the table, and then they never bother to serve dinner.

I'm mostly in agreement that it is difficult to balance combat-heavy games with proper narrative development and pacing. Then again, Naughty Dog has seemingly solved that riddle with their last three releases (counting the Last of Us DLC). But yeah, typically adventure games (see Oxenfree, and as much as I though the plot to Firewatch wasn't as strong as I hoped, the characters were fantastic) are an easier genre to write good plot for.