2020 Quick Look's where are you?

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By djredbat

If you are going by the QL's posted in 2020 you would think not a lot of games came out but that's not the case. I get they were down a staff member from the start of 2020 then another at the end of 2020 and now another at the start of 2021, not to mention the world going into chaos. And they did stream a lot of games (at least for the first 9 or 10 months of the year). But I was going though my Steam wishlist and thought I would put together a list of 20 games that I would love to see QL's of. What we really need is another one of those Steam game streams they have done in the past and now that UPF is back that's another place games like these can be tried.

1- Twin Mirror

2- Xcom: Chimera Squad

3- Haven

4- Chicken Police - Paint it RED!

5- Pumpkin Jack

6- Tamarin

7- Paradise Killer

8- Iron Danger

9- Partisans 1941

10- Relicta

11- Eastern Exorcist

12- The Signifier

13- Dreamscaper

14- The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos

15- Vigil: The Longest Night

16- SONG OF HORROR COMPLETE EDITION

17- Shattered - Tale of the Forgotten King

18- Iratus: Lord of the Dead

19- Call of the Sea

20- The Complex (an FMV game Vinny)

quasiconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, when they have time to get back to doing regular Quick Looks again, I'd much rather them focus on new games. I would have liked to see Quick Looks for some of these games as well, but I think that ship has sailed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigsocrates

Even during normal times they have never quick looked EVERYTHING. Some of these games are so obscure that I doubt they would have gotten a Quick Look in recent years.
I would like to see more Quick Looks too, as would everyone, but I doubt they'll go back and there will be enough new interesting stuff for them to keep moving forward. Maybe if some of these get ports to other platforms that would be a good time to do a Quick Look of them, but like do we really need a Quick Look of Call of the Sea? I finished that game and I liked it, but I don't think there's all that much to say about the first 30 minutes or whatever.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I know for a fact that this will not go anywhere constructive and will not end well for anyone involved

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quasiconundrum@nickm@bigsocrates: I mean if they don't have any QL's to do might as well pull something from the past old content is better then no content. I doubt they will even see this list anyway but if it makes someone else aware of a game they never heard of and end up loving it then I will be happy.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djredbat: there’s plenty of 2021 stuff to QL, you don’t need to go back to 2020

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They have done some decent quick looks recently. Balan Wonderworld, Destruction Allstars, Cyber Shadow. The only problem is that they were part of the Friday premium stream.

Since the whole crew are on the stream there doesn't seem much point re-looking at the games and pretending they came in fresh - but I can see how people without subs might feel a bit short changed.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Part of the problem is that they've showed off a number of games during live streams, in part due to the fact that they streaming so much for the first half of the lockdown. I do wish they had taken the time to break these out into separate QL videos.

There is another thing, which is that they used to QL a lot of really awful games. I didn't realize this until I was hanging out in the GB Infinite streams early on. There are a lot of early QLs that served as comedic content and little else. I'm okay with that not being a thing anymore. Obviously most games aren't great. I just don't see much value in making a video about how bad a game is for an audience that is largely not the intended audience for the game. Maybe I've just gotten older, but watching a bunch of 40-something dudes shit on a game designed for kids isn't good or fun content. And it reminds me of the awful parts of the internet just a little too much.

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickm: That is true what we really need is another one of those Steam game streams they have done in the past and now that UPF is back that's another place games like these could be tried.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djredbat: yes. They seem to have nailed down their streams. I’m absolutely down for them to bring back pre COVID features. Ranking of Fighters, JG pro skater and the like. I would love for them to finish Def Jam as well.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forsee this thread will be locked in due time, much like the last thread where someone asked for quick looks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Without Quick Looks, what are non-premium members even watching, other than podcasts?

StaticFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFrog

@dgtlty:

As a premium member and a paid Spotify member, I listen to the bombcast on Spotify and still get the ads. Sooo premium is useless there. As for the site, other than said podcast videos, there really isn’t much at all. Really makes me question what the point of premium is. But. I think you just nailed it. Without premium it is literally just podcasts.

As for QLs being the UPF videos, why? I don’t want to watch hours long video to find out that that’s where they play The Medium (I don’t actually know if they do).

I’m sure there’s a reason, but for the life of me, I don’t know what it is.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate:

I must be blind then.

https://i.postimg.cc/90RFxMcx/19573036-6006-4-E04-91-E7-BDBC6158-B659.jpg

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh: I hope not cause I am not complaining about a lack of QL's just making suggesting's for games they and anyone reading this may not know about. Most of these game I knew nothing about until the virtual Gamescom 2020 where they were demos. During the Steam festivals 2021 (ends tomorrow) I downloaded another 20 or so demos that hopefully someone will play during a UPF cause there are some good ones.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticfrog: The list of games shows up on the desktop version of the site, but not mobile. That seems like something they should fix.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didn't know that. Likely a space issue but yeah, it is useful information to have.

sandm0rph22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djredbat: A Steam games stream would be great. Interested to see unknown games the GB team might choose to play. I know they did a Steam games request stream one time.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

We have a new Quick Look up today and I believe there are three more coming this week! Nature is healing.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

Without Quick Looks, what are non-premium members even watching, other than podcasts?

There is nothing. Non premium is a desert

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:
@dgtlty said:

There is nothing. Non premium is a desert

Even Premium is almost a desert as well. The only extra content on Premium is one Playdate, one HotSpot, and one Friday stream per week. Two extra videos and one extra podcast.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dasakamov

I wouldn't call 8 individual pieces of content in the past week a "desert" of content. It takes time to produce, edit and upload videos and podcasts. There's no magic "do this for meh" button.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@dasakamov: Not to downplay anyone or cast shade on the crew, this is always a very sensitive topic that people get very defensive about - but - surely after 10+ years it doesn't take that much effort for them to produce a Quick Look? I imagine that they kind of have that down by now. Then again who knows. I always thought that the Bombcast was a relatively brainless piece of content to produce since they don't really edit it in any way except for commercial breaks. Then one day Vinny made that huge post about audio-drift or something that creeps up from time to time and takes a long time to fix.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dasakamov

@humanity: Fair, and I'm sure GB's content releases much more smoothly today than it did 10+ years ago - but just because someone's been doing something for a long time doesn't mean technological and human limits go away.

If it took an expert baker 4 hours to build and bake a cake 10+ years ago, I guarantee you that it's going to take almost 4 hours for them to do the same thing today. The technique may be refined, the flavor may be that much more exquisite, but there are limits on how quickly anything can be released (and still be of quality). Not to mention the extraordinary situation the world finds itself in during the pandemic.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BrainScratch

@dasakamov: if it is that hard and it takes so long to the point where they can only do 8 pieces of content per week (with 3 of them being podcasts, and at least another 2 being live shows that need no editing), then what kind of magic were they using back when the site was dropping a new Quick Look and new Premium content every day for like six days per week?

Obviously I’m not expecting that large amount of content every week the entire year and I already know the site always has it’s ups and downs, but the old “it takes too much time to do it” excuse doesn’t really work by now, especially when GB content has almost no editing whatsoever (other than the usual audio sync).

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dasakamov

"It takes time" is not an excuse, it's a fact. Aside from the fact that no one is suffering any harm from an debatably slower release schedule, GB has also had just two of the staff leave and another just had a baby, not counting this whole global pandemic thing.