$400 worth of decisions

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By cloneslayer

Alright, so I got more or less about 400 bucks to waste on something. I'm wanting a new shiny piece of tech but I'm not really convinced on anything yet. I don't make much money so 400 bucks is a big deal for me at least. I'm up for anything but my main three contenders are the PSVita, 3DS, and IPad 3 (HD or whatever they decided to call it).

The 3DS is the cheapest by far so I could get the most games and I think the 3D is cool but I'm not 100% on the cataloge of games they have (I can being playing my N64 in 10 minutes for no cost if I wanted to) or how its going to be supported in the future. I've heard good things but not as many as to comfort me.

The PSVita is impressive. Played it for a little at the Best Buy and I haven't been impressed with handheld visuals until now. But 350 is pricey and the games are lacking. One can only play so much Lumines. The way the PSP went I'm unsure about its future and thinking maybe I should wait the 8 months or so for the price drop/ holiday sales.

IPad3.... I really don't know. I know its an awesome piece of tech but I haven't really been convinced on tablet computing when I have a phone, a kindle, and a fairly recent $1200 laptop. Also the only Apple product I've ever owned in my life is a 3 year old Ipod classic which I still use to this day. It would definitely be the most, have to save up a little more cash, but its so shiny and cool looking and its.... appealing to me though I don't know why. Kinda have been wanted to check out some of the recent apple stuff but really have wanted to drop the cash on that tech when I know I can get a more powerful off brand thing for cheaper like a two month after apple launches their products.

Or I could just hold on to it, which I'm kinda thinking is my best option a the moment

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Get a couple more bucks and build yourself a baller PC. Then save up some more money and get ALL THE GAMES during Steam's inevitable summer sale.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

If I didn't make much money, then I'd save that $400 instead of blowing it.

Since that's not one of the options I'd put the money towards an iPad 2 since you can't buy an iPad 3 for $400. There's a lot you can do on an iPad and the sheer amount of good, cheap games you can get from the Apple store is worth it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

wait until E3, see if the Wii U sounds cool to you or not, then decide if what you want. by then you should also have more cash or even two of the options :)

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Hosstile17

I have a 3DS and a Vita. I honestly don't think either are super great. But, the cheap price of the 3DS is pretty alright. Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fun. But, there isn't much else of note for it, other than some good ports of N64 games that you have probably already played to death back when they were new. If you want to be the coolest kid on the block, the Vita is a pretty capable system that needs to prove itself a bit more in the software department.

Building a PC or upgrading an existing rig is actually a pretty good call.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Beaudacious

None of the above. They all sound like purchases you' regret one week in, and since its allot of cash i'd rather save it. Buy some games down the road, and leave the rest for the next generation of consoles. Or make it your nest egg for a new gaming pc, and come into the light.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joker369

I would say go with the new iPad. The screen seems like it will make e-book reading a whole lot better and you can import all of your kindle books in the kindle app. Also, having a multifunction device makes things a whole lot more portable and easy. It's nice to just sit on the couch and browse the web, check twitter, read a book, and watch a video all on one thing.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Save that money!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kindgineer

iPad 3 would be my recommendation because I own all of those (I will own the iPad 3 on the 16th). Mainly because I just feel it will give a lot more in the short term then the 3DS and the Vita so far have given. I have found my companion with the iPad that doesn't just do gaming (and the new one looks fantastic for that prospect) but as a helper for nearly everything I do. From my business, to keeping up with my daily goals, and even my daily workout, the iPad helps me get things straight with all the Apps.

Just my two cents.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pigmartyr

Spend some of that $400 to buy some nice clothes and go out job hunting. I'm not saying that you don't have a job, but it sounds like you need a better, higher paying one.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cloneslayer

@pigmartyr said:

Spend some of that $400 to buy some nice clothes and go out job hunting. I'm not saying that you don't have a job, but it sounds like you need a better, higher paying one.

No, i just work part time while I got to school. I just got some extra money back from taxes and I want to get something cool.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Ravenlight said:

Get a couple more bucks and build yourself a baller PC. Then save up five dollars and get ALL THE GAMES during Steam's inevitable summer sale.

This, but with a small modification of my own.

@ccampb89 said:

iPad 3 would be my recommendation because I own all of those (I will own the iPad 3 on the 16th). Mainly because I just feel it will give a lot more in the short term then the 3DS and the Vita so far have given. I have found my companion with the iPad that doesn't just do gaming (and the new one looks fantastic for that prospect) but as a helper for nearly everything I do. From my business, to keeping up with my daily goals, and even my daily workout, the iPad helps me get things straight with all the Apps.

Just my two cents.

No offense, but that sounds like you're on apple's payroll. I use an iPad and it's useful, but nothing new if you already have a light laptop that you already use around the house. Or hell, a desktop. It's good for reading articles in the living room, but that's about it. Maybe the new screen will make it more viable for things like videos, but it streams pretty poorly even from youtube, I can't imagine it'd handle HD videos terribly well. And unless you like really simple flash type games, iPad probably isn't for you, there are very few good games that go outside that range.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cloneslayer

I have a laptop that can run certain recent games (Darkness 2, KoA:Reconing) but not others (Witcher 2, Alan Wake). I dont really want to get a whole new pc.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Save up another $200 and get the semi-decent 32GB Wifi iPad (the minimum you'd want if you want to play games on it).

I own an iPad 2, a Vita, and a 3DS. They all suck in their own fun ways. I can't recommend any of them, really.

Better idea; save it. If you're that poor, stop blowing money on dumb shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@Ravenlight: @MordeaniisChaos: At this point there will probably be quarterly sales right? Easter is just around the corner.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freewilly5

Get the 3ds. Kid icarus comes out at the end of the month, will be worth it for that game.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Cloneslayer said:

I have a laptop that can run certain recent games (Darkness 2, KoA:Reconing) but not others (Witcher 2, Alan Wake). I dont really want to get a whole new pc.

Then you don't really want an iPad. I'd go for the Vita, unless you prefer the Nintendo/DS style of games better.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

save your money. the handhelds don't really interest me. i don't follow them all that much.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By benspyda

I got a 3DS and it's an impressive little machine. Not that many games yet but I can imagine a bunch coming in the future due to the price drop and the huge increase in sales.

I don't really understand the iPad craze, it's just a giant iPhone. I got a macbook air instead and I love it but I guess it's significantly more pricey.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MistaSparkle

A ghetto blaster is kinda like a 3DS, just way cooler. I would recommend that instead.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Skald

The screen on the iPad is going to be amazing. I'm really excited to get mine.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlatantNinja23

The iPad is the better device... but if you don't have reason you think you need/want a tablet... if you don't see yourself surfing the web or consuming media with the iPad on the couch, bed, or on the go then it's not gonna be worth it. Sure it has some great games on it but in no way is that one worth it.

Device wise the Vita is better then 3DS for me, but the 3DS has the better game lineup. With that I guess it's just a matter of comparing whats out and what you know is coming out. Waiting till E3 would maybe be a good option though.

I own all 3 and don't regret purchasing them though.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lotan

Man the way this economy is going, I'd save that money. If you are conflicted enough to ask random strangers what to do with it, you might as well keep it until you actually have something you want to buy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

You've got a $1200 laptop but you're poor? Really?

Anyway, all three of those options aren't really anything to ride home about. Yet. You could get a 32GB ipod Touch and get the same features as an iPad with all the portability of an iPod, plus you could could play some smaller games on it. As for big-name games, I'd hope that $1200 laptop can run some things quite admirably. Skyrim, Oblivion, Portal 2, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect, etc. I'd never spend $1200 on a laptop that couldn't run those at a good and playable frame rate.

If you must console game, then buy yourself a PS3. $250 + $150 left over for games. If you've already got a PS3, then a 360. Already got a 360? Then you aren't poor.

Or you could, you know, save it for when you really want something.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EVO

@benspyda said:

I don't really understand the iPad craze, it's just a giant iPhone.

Exactly. iPhones are awesome, so naturally, a giant iPhone is even more awesome. I'd go with that . It's got a rapidly increasing library of great games, all for a fraction of the price of hand held games.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By fjordson

iPad 3 is the easy choice here.