A bit about me...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c2a5a814e8
deactivated-5e4c2a5a814e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I am 30 years old. I live at home with my mother and work full time, in a job I don't like, to earn money for a hobby that some people find worrying for a grown man of my age. I'm currently single after a few failed relationships. I have a crooked nose, wear thick black framed glasses and I am pretty shy. Looking from the outside in, I should pity me.

But I don't. Why would I?

I have been raised, surrounded with fascinating technology. Between the years of my first Spectrum CPC 464, to my XBOX One, I have spent countless hours in a smokey arcade hall watching other people attack a high score table. I have had to trade my game collection for a poor deal in the local swap shop, just to get that over-hyped gem the latest Amiga Format wouldn't stop gushing over. I have seen the rise and fall of SEGA, the beginning of Sony's unexpected rampage, the last whimper from the gaming gods at Atari! I feel included and connected to something amazing that most people ignore and dismiss as a childish fad.

I've such a fun and exciting hobby that dates back to my infant years, and my passion for it is still as strong as ever to this very day. Not many people have that warm fuzzy happiness in their lives.

Do you know what?

I think I pity them.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DeeGee

You sound very insecure. Who are you trying to convince here?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one. It was just a quick first blog post, describing a bit about myself and my hobby.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you're really as fulfilled and passionate and confident about your video game hobby as you say you are, you wouldn't need to prefix your entire point with "I'm 30 and I live with my mom and I don't like my appearance and I have trouble with relationships". The whole first paragraph doesn't say "warm fuzzy happiness" to me, more like abject sadness. I guess video games are always escapism when it comes down to it.

But hey, cheer up man. The video game demographic isn't constrained to a specific age range. You'd be surprised at how many people take games seriously.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know what failed relationships means. Aren't all relationships that don't exist until death failed? Or is failure by some weird criteria. Because anyone who is single and has had girlfriends can say that.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

O..ok...I don't want to sound like a dick but...you shouldn't waste most your adult life on videogames. I can understand if it's your job but don't let a hobby define your entire life. What are your goals in life, for example?

Remember, videogames are just entertainment. It doesn't define you.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey man it's hard not to compare your own life situation to others but there are just too many factors to consider. If you are truly happy that's great regardless of relationship status or living situation or whatever.

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I like this blog post, seems like people are kinda bein' dicks. I get that same warm fuzzy happiness from video games, and I'm grateful for it too.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this blog post, seems like people are kinda bein' dicks. I get that same warm fuzzy happiness from video games, and I'm grateful for it too.

word.

welcome.

icecreamcohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool Story bro.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If that's what makes you happy, then I'm not going to say anything against it.

What else do you enjoy?

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing is a snake eating its own tail. This reminds me of the scene in family guy where the family is reading off their crippling debt and nervously laughing and shaking profusely.

"EVERYTHING IS FINE. IM FINE WITH THIS. EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG. I LIKE ME."

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Liking stuff and having a passion for something is a-ok.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

Keep on keeping on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was showing my lifestyle downfalls in the eyes of most other people. Then go on to talk about something I do have that they have left behind in their childhood in their eagerness to conform to what they consider normal.

I'm extremely content with my life, I have a circle of amazing friends, I body build, I'm in great shape, I enjoy my nights out, I have a nice car, I make a very nice wage, I voluenteer for mental health support, I'm attractive, I'm quite picky and don't settle for less than what I want. These are all things that factor into my rounded life. But I wanted to contrast the downfalls with one part of my life that I thought was relevant on a gaming website. Something I still love to this day and never lost interest.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesis2k: If you make a nice wage how come you live with your mum? Not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm just curious about why you'd do that when you apparently have other options.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shindig  Online

I was showing my lifestyle downfalls in the eyes of most other people. Then go on to talk about something I do have that they have left behind in their childhood in their eagerness to conform to what they consider normal.

I'm extremely content with my life, I have a circle of amazing friends, I body build, I'm in great shape, I enjoy my nights out, I have a nice car, I make a very nice wage, I voluenteer for mental health support, I'm attractive, I'm quite picky and don't settle for less than what I want. These are all things that factor into my rounded life. But I wanted to contrast the downfalls with one part of my life that I thought was relevant on a gaming website. Something I still love to this day and never lost interest.

More power to you but gaming is increasingly socially acceptable. Giving it the 'abnormal' treatment is a stereotype which is becoming more and more out of step.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: no offence taken. I have no actual reason to move. I have my own space in a three bedroom house. I work days and my mum works evenings. Most times she will stay at my sisters to spend time with her grandson. I have more money in this scenario than I would if I moved into a place of my own. I'm happy where I am and see no reason to put myself in a tougher financial position. If I was to find someone to move out with and have a dual income no kids lifestyle, things may change.

I may have worded my blog a little poorly. The flaws I mention are flaws that a person who just met me would most likely judge me for. Someone from the outside looking in. They are typical 'basement dweller' traits.

KikkomanSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say good for you OP. Glad you love what you do.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nemesis2k: There is no shame in living with your mom ... having shame for that is a very very stupid idea that has been ingrained in to western society so that you end up having to waste money on mortages and crap. It only makes sense when you are making a new family.