A follow on to 'losing interest in video games'

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By smokemare

Thanks for all the comments on yesterdays post.  The fact is I am getting, old I'm 35 nearly now, I've been gaming since about 1981 at a guess... More or less none-stop... 

But I never thought I'd stop playing games, I could never have imagined it, I swapped from Spectrum, to Atari ST to Consoles, to PC and back to Consoles... I've never actually stopped gaming for any length of time... Apart from a brief period when all I did was smoke pot, watch anime and listen to music... Did that really happen or was it a wierd dream?  I don't know...

I'm finding myself drawn to more sedate activities at the moment, not just Lego, but reading and even writing, I'm back spending more time on the star wars roleplaying board which I'ev been a member of since 2003... I like writing star wars fanfic because everything happens exactly as you want it to, the only limit is your imagination.  I'm still hoping I'll get at least a small portion of my inclination to play back after I've got through the debacle 'DNF'...

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By smokemare

Thanks for all the comments on yesterdays post.  The fact is I am getting, old I'm 35 nearly now, I've been gaming since about 1981 at a guess... More or less none-stop... 

But I never thought I'd stop playing games, I could never have imagined it, I swapped from Spectrum, to Atari ST to Consoles, to PC and back to Consoles... I've never actually stopped gaming for any length of time... Apart from a brief period when all I did was smoke pot, watch anime and listen to music... Did that really happen or was it a wierd dream?  I don't know...

I'm finding myself drawn to more sedate activities at the moment, not just Lego, but reading and even writing, I'm back spending more time on the star wars roleplaying board which I'ev been a member of since 2003... I like writing star wars fanfic because everything happens exactly as you want it to, the only limit is your imagination.  I'm still hoping I'll get at least a small portion of my inclination to play back after I've got through the debacle 'DNF'...

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Gerhabio

Cool

God knows I need a new hobby myself.

Been thinking cycling.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

I was away from it for about a year. Don't worry, every one needs a break from games from time to time.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I know you said you tried different games, but I would recommend some more casual stuff (anything by Pop Cap, Picross 3D, maybe even bust out some Solitaire or Minesweeper) . Anything that you could play for a few minutes at a time might be good. Playing games doesn't necessarily mean you have to always be playing big AAA games...

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

You'll be back, you'll be back. One of these days, you'll stumble upon the game kiosk at a store somewhere and nostalgia will tempt you to try it out. Then before you know it, You'll be looking at the back catalog of games you missed out on.  

Til then, enjoy the break. I hope your starwars roleplaying thing is kinda like DND but set in starwars universe. 

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Based on what you like to do: Star Wars The Old Republic will bring you back to the gaming side of life.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Hey man, let the great wisdom of The Eagles enlighten you:"You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave *bad ass guitar solo*! "
Have fun on your vacation from gaming.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@TheDudeOfGaming
Hey man, let the great wisdom of The Eagles enlighten you:"You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave *bad ass guitar solo*! "
Have fun on your vacation from gaming.
That song in concert was fucking magical.
smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By smokemare
@Vegsen said:
Based on what you like to do: Star Wars The Old Republic will bring you back to the gaming side of life.
Interestingly no, I played SWG and recently spent some time on SWGEMU, great fun, but I think, and this is part of the problem, I simply don't have the time to invest in a game like that anymore.  I struggle to get 5 hours a week of gaming in just now - and the fact is it isn't really enough.  I will play again, I might even drop back to Red Dead Red, to wrap up some achievements and enjoy the environment again.  At the moment I've GOT to get over the motion sickeness and finish off Duke, I'm in the Generator Room vs the Octaking, but....
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I completely lost interest for a few months and slowly got back into it later. The whole thing gets a bit much over a long period of time and it's understandable to be just sick of the whole medium for a bit.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maluvin
@smokemare said:

The great thing is that you recognize what is and isn't of interest to you.  I've definitely been in the same boat and had to redefine how I approached gaming.   

Personally I'm playing less titles than I used to and not worrying about finishing or finding everything. 
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

Good on you for realizing it and continuing to keep it in your heart. Personally, I find "losing interest" in games to be like losing interest in movies, music, or books; it just doesn't really happen for me. I certainly lose interest in a genre or style, though; I've had pretty severe FPS fatigue since I finished Deadly Premonition and Mass Effect 2 back in January, and I haven't actually finished one since despite having played parts of Homefront, Crysis 2, and F.3.A.R. (not that those are all good games, but still.) However, I've been playing a lot of fighting games and games with RPG elements (some full RPGs, some not) to mix it up, and I've still been playing my puzzlers and third-person shooters. I've also had almost ZERO interest in sci-fi or straight fantasy games for the last six months; both genres just seem to take themselves far too seriously without presenting much innovation, creativity, or artistic merit. That's only a little odd because I've been so into Game of Thrones lately and have seen nearly every decent alien movie to come out this summer (still missing Attack The Block, Transformers 3 and Green Lantern.)

But this is a great opportunity to explore new interests. While the end of this year is an exciting time with people rather satisfied with the way the industry's been going, it's certainly not going to be a season filled with innovation or revitalized energy. Good luck wherever your time off takes you.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bravetoaster

35 isn't even that old. Claude is an Immortal Wizard Ninja of the 5 Wii Scrolls and he's still gaming. I guess it all boils down to moderation; your love for a hobby whittles away if you spend too much time gaming. It's good to have more than one hobby.