Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Yes, it's been a long time coming but I figured I may as well start a blog at last. I've had one post already, though that was just a little article I had previously written about Duke Nukem Forever; this is the real deal. I've decided I'll probably write one new post each week, that way I'll have more to talk about and the quality will hopefully be higher. So on we go!

It's just not fair.
It's just not fair.
With 2009 coming to a close I've been on a bit of an RPG bender this past week. I've completed all the games I wanted to play last year, leaving only the time-consuming RPGs to go.  First up is the stupidly hard, yet amazingly good, Demon's Souls; a game I've only really gotten into this past week despite buying it back in Novem ber. Since it's not out in the UK yet I had to import the Chinese version, which handily comes with an English language version on the disc - a handy tip for all those l ooking to import. To give you an indication of how crap I am, it took me around three hours to beat the first level - although I think I've improved recently. I've beaten the Armour Spider in the second world and had a go at the giant Knight back in the first world, coming to the conclusion he's way too difficult for me at the moment. So the third world is next, one of the easier worlds so far providing you quickly take out those damn octopus people and their stupidly powerful attacks.  Though one of the best things about this world so far has to be the atmosphere it creates. It's so creepy and ominous, and some of the torture equipment is truly frightening, especially some of the dudes stuck in giant vases. The whole game is like it and it really does a fantastic job of compensating for the minimal narrative, and making the fear of death even more prominent. Some may say it's an unfair game, but constantly dying and going back to progress further, learning the enemies routines and inching closer and closer to the end boss is surprsingly engaging and extremely satisfying.   

Now before I move on I thought I'd break things up with my Best of 2009 list, posted here on Giant Bomb. I changed it quite a few times over the past few weeks but I think I'm set with the current set-up. I think the deadline was put down as today so it will be interesting to see what comes out on top this week. Uncharted 2 was my favourite game this year by far and it was awesome to see it pick up the gong on Giant Bomb as well. It looked like Arkham Asylum would take it judging from the top 10 videos, but ultimately I think the best game won.

Best of 2009

ElectricBoogaloo: Best of 2009

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2. Modern Warfare 2
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Assassin's Creed II
5. Borderlands
6. Dragon Age: Origins
7. FIFA 10
8. The Beatles: Rock Band
9. Demon's Souls
10. Forza Motorsport 3

Moving on, I've also spent a lot of time with Borderlands this week. Got my Solider from level 28 to 33 and I think I'm pretty close to completing it now. I think I've done every side quest that's been available and I also purchased Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot this weekend. I'd rather play through The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, but Mad Moxxi has a bank that I just couldn't resist. I don't plan on actually playing it until I move my guy up to level 50, then I can play through on co-op with a friend. I did try it on my own but was brutally finished off in the second round. I think you really need to play it with friends to have any chance of getting through it. 

Dude...
 Dude...
Finally I''ll round things off with some Dragon Age: Origins. Put in 30 hours so far; upto some of the Alienage stuff and working with Queen Anora. Not much to say other than it's a brilliant game. I love the story and dialogue, and the interactions with other characters are some of the highlights. However, after watching Giant Bomb's PC Game of the Year video I really wish my PC was good enough to handle this. The pausing and depth to the combat looks great, and it's not something you can really pull off on the 360 - at least I can't anyway. The UI works fine with the wheel, but it looks so much on easier on the PC, and Dragon Age was obviously built to be a PC game. As it is I generally tend to run it and bash everything with my own character, never really concentrating on the other members of my party unless they need urgent healing. It works fine, and I'm only playing on easy so hacking away at everything is sufficient enough. In the end I'm more bothered about the story than anything else. And more than anything it excites me more and more for Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, I'll end this now and probably be back again next week.
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Yes, it's been a long time coming but I figured I may as well start a blog at last. I've had one post already, though that was just a little article I had previously written about Duke Nukem Forever; this is the real deal. I've decided I'll probably write one new post each week, that way I'll have more to talk about and the quality will hopefully be higher. So on we go!

It's just not fair.
It's just not fair.
With 2009 coming to a close I've been on a bit of an RPG bender this past week. I've completed all the games I wanted to play last year, leaving only the time-consuming RPGs to go.  First up is the stupidly hard, yet amazingly good, Demon's Souls; a game I've only really gotten into this past week despite buying it back in Novem ber. Since it's not out in the UK yet I had to import the Chinese version, which handily comes with an English language version on the disc - a handy tip for all those l ooking to import. To give you an indication of how crap I am, it took me around three hours to beat the first level - although I think I've improved recently. I've beaten the Armour Spider in the second world and had a go at the giant Knight back in the first world, coming to the conclusion he's way too difficult for me at the moment. So the third world is next, one of the easier worlds so far providing you quickly take out those damn octopus people and their stupidly powerful attacks.  Though one of the best things about this world so far has to be the atmosphere it creates. It's so creepy and ominous, and some of the torture equipment is truly frightening, especially some of the dudes stuck in giant vases. The whole game is like it and it really does a fantastic job of compensating for the minimal narrative, and making the fear of death even more prominent. Some may say it's an unfair game, but constantly dying and going back to progress further, learning the enemies routines and inching closer and closer to the end boss is surprsingly engaging and extremely satisfying.   

Now before I move on I thought I'd break things up with my Best of 2009 list, posted here on Giant Bomb. I changed it quite a few times over the past few weeks but I think I'm set with the current set-up. I think the deadline was put down as today so it will be interesting to see what comes out on top this week. Uncharted 2 was my favourite game this year by far and it was awesome to see it pick up the gong on Giant Bomb as well. It looked like Arkham Asylum would take it judging from the top 10 videos, but ultimately I think the best game won.

Best of 2009

ElectricBoogaloo: Best of 2009

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2. Modern Warfare 2
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Assassin's Creed II
5. Borderlands
6. Dragon Age: Origins
7. FIFA 10
8. The Beatles: Rock Band
9. Demon's Souls
10. Forza Motorsport 3

Moving on, I've also spent a lot of time with Borderlands this week. Got my Solider from level 28 to 33 and I think I'm pretty close to completing it now. I think I've done every side quest that's been available and I also purchased Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot this weekend. I'd rather play through The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, but Mad Moxxi has a bank that I just couldn't resist. I don't plan on actually playing it until I move my guy up to level 50, then I can play through on co-op with a friend. I did try it on my own but was brutally finished off in the second round. I think you really need to play it with friends to have any chance of getting through it. 

Dude...
 Dude...
Finally I''ll round things off with some Dragon Age: Origins. Put in 30 hours so far; upto some of the Alienage stuff and working with Queen Anora. Not much to say other than it's a brilliant game. I love the story and dialogue, and the interactions with other characters are some of the highlights. However, after watching Giant Bomb's PC Game of the Year video I really wish my PC was good enough to handle this. The pausing and depth to the combat looks great, and it's not something you can really pull off on the 360 - at least I can't anyway. The UI works fine with the wheel, but it looks so much on easier on the PC, and Dragon Age was obviously built to be a PC game. As it is I generally tend to run it and bash everything with my own character, never really concentrating on the other members of my party unless they need urgent healing. It works fine, and I'm only playing on easy so hacking away at everything is sufficient enough. In the end I'm more bothered about the story than anything else. And more than anything it excites me more and more for Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, I'll end this now and probably be back again next week.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice blog. I've recently started to pick up my blogging too. Speaking of that, I saw your status update about the Assassin's Creed 2 feathers and I'm also trying to collect them all. My last blog was basically about me being addicted to all things collectible in Assassin's Creed 2. I should probably write another blog today. I'm going to a basketball game later so i could write about that. OK enough brainstorming in the comment section of your blog, sorry.    :P

ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo
@JJWeatherman: I gave up trying to find the feathers on my own after about an hour, ended up getting them all fairly quickly with this awesome guide

I've got every Achievement in the game bar one, leaving me on 995GS. And it would just happen to be the one for kicking a guard with the flying machine so I have to play through the majority of the game again to get there. I'll do it eventually, but I'm hoping the DLC has some kind of level select included since the feature is seemingly there, you just can't do anything with it.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@ElectricBoogaloo: Aww crap. I was just playing that flaying section a coupe days ago knowing there was an achievement for kicking dudes. I was initially going for it but kept crashing so I decided I would just skip it and hopefully have a shot at it later. Now I find out I do indeed have to replay the whole game to get it... god dammit.     : )