Adventure gaming. Push me in the right direction.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

When I was growing up, all I ever played was Diablo 2 and Doom for our PC, due to the fact it was shit. And skifree, fuck yeah.

Basically, I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding what exactly I should play to get me into it? I'll be using ScummVM primarily, but I will be getting the new pack on steam when payday hits.

At the moment, I have Day of the tentacle, Fate of Atlantis and Tales of Monkey Island original.

Can you think of anything I might be missing out on?

Thanks a bundle in advance <3

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Diamond

The original Maniac Mansion.  Personally I still think it's one of the few standouts because there are MANY ways to beat the game, multiple ways past some objectives.  It's far more open than 99.99% of adventure games, because a lot of those games just have a single exact path, with often obscure solutions.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, is ScummVM something you use with DOSBox? I'm sort of trying the same thing, and also want to start with Day of the Tentacle.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189

How well have most of them aged? I know that gameplay trumps graphics in most ways, but I might aswell say what everyone thinks. Sometimes, when we've been blessed with such gorgeous looking games, it's hard to go back to these 300x160res games :P

I got halfway through MI Classic and had to format, therefore losing my save, but I talked to someone a moment ago who said it's best to wait for moneys and play the remake.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bartman3010

You can go ahead and jump into what Telltale Games have to offer. The individual episodes dont take very long to complete, most of their episodic games come with an intregal hint system that you can toggle the frequency of hints (Or turn them off) and they're obviously very entertaining.

If you want to go with a classic. I recommend the first Broken Sword game. I played it on Game Boy Advance and got through most of the game with no trouble (aside from the game-ending glitch) and the Wii and DS ports are...alright. But its still got a great story, nice voice acting, and some beautiful art. If you happen across the PC version, it works under ScummVM. I can also kind of recommend Broken Sword 2, but I had a harder time going through it without having to resort to a guide (Or maybe I was just too impatient?) But I do recommend the first game, hands down.

Also, to clarify, the DS version of Broken Sword, like the GBA version, has no voice acting.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pazy

Broken Sword are some of may favourite adventure games (mainly 1 & 2 though 3 is also great) and they can be had on gog.com for I think $5.99 each. Also Beneath a Steel Sky is another one of my favourites and its free on ScummVM's site :) Flight of the Amazon Queen is also on there for free and having played it I fell in love with that game as well.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Cerza

The Sam and Max games (new and old) are really great. I highly recommend them. If you like Tales of Monkey Island you will like Sam and Max as the humor between the two is pretty similar.

soybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By soybob
Ben There, Dan That

Modern adventure game, written by two guys, released for free. Not for the easily offended.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Hamst3r
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By buzz_killington

Check out the first two Broken Sword games. The first one just got an updated release on the DS and the Wii. If you're willing to go five, six years back, the first Runaway game was amazing. From the more recent stuff, I would recommend Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and Professor Layton.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallen189

Secret of Monkey island. Chapter 2 GET.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gargantuan

Full Throttle is a very nice adventure game.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ChickenPants

Phantasmagoria 2 
Gabriel Knight 3
Beast Within
Ripper
The Dark Eye
Toonstruck
Broken Sword
... :)

Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Ravenhoe

Apart from those already mentioned: 

The Last Express, The Gene Machine, The Trials of Odysseus Kent,  The Alone in the Dark series (original 1,2,3), Alien Incident, Lure of the temptress, Legend of Kyrandia series, Gobliiins, Loom 

To name but a few