Any Sonic games with time manipulation mechanics?

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Rxanadu

Has there ever been a Sonic game that implemented time control mechanics? I've been wondering this ever since the introduction of Chas Control back in Sonic Adventure 2. If not, I'd like to see what Sonic Team (or anyone given the chance to mess with the Sonic IP) could do with time altering gameplay.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PeezMachine

From the Sonic CD Wikipedia page: "The main gameplay mechanic that sets Sonic CD apart from other Sonic games is a time travel system that enables players to move between different time periods within each level. By hitting posts labeled "past" or "future" and then maintaining a consistently high speed for several seconds, Sonic can move between past, present and future level variants. (The time travel posts are only present in the first two zones of each stage; boss zones always take place in the future.)"

So it seems that Sonic CD fits the time travel bill quite nicely.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sayishere

Only one I can think of is sonic cd where you could go back in the time and change it to make a 'better' future.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rxanadu

Somehow, I forgot about that one. I guess I've never think about it, since despite its praise around the Internet, I rarely hear anything mentioning the time travel mechanics; I usually hear people blindly stating it as the best Sonic game ever made, though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Rxanadu:

It doesn't really have time manipulation mechanics though, not like Braid or PoP: Sands of Time. You basically just switch to different versions of the level every so often by going forward or back in time. Also, Sonic CD sucks. The people that think it is the best sonic game are totally insane. The level design is absolutely atrocious.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By GreggD

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Rxanadu:

It doesn't really have time manipulation mechanics though, not like Braid or PoP: Sands of Time. You basically just switch to different versions of the level every so often by going forward or back in time. Also, Sonic CD sucks. The people that think it is the best sonic game are totally insane. The level design is absolutely atrocious.

Cue the Sonic Defense Force (even though I agree with them on this particular subject).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@GreggD: Oh, I am a huge Sonic fan. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time. But Sonic CD is a piece of shit, and I still don't understand why so many people think it is amazing.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rxanadu

@ll_Exile_ll: The mechanics from Sands of Time or Braid were what I was thinking of when I made this topic. It's just so odd of Sega to introduce something as revolutionary to the Sonic fiction as Chaos Control and not make use of it in any other games (Shadow the Hedgehog doesn't count, as it used it incorrectly; SSBB doesn't, either, as that wasn't Sega working on that). Then again, I haven't played the Sonic Chronicles game Bioware put out a few years back. Does that use any time control mechanics, by any chance?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Shadow the hedgehog had chaos control which let you skip over huge parts of the level through time manipulation. It's also one of the worst games I've ever played. In Sonic 06 characters do time travel, it's also one of the worst games I've ever played. In Sonic Generations on Sonic's 20th birthday he travels back in time 20 years to meet his 15 year old self (that's a joke). That one's good, not great but good.